Getting A Mounted Diamond Graded...

jagstyle25

Hi there,

I am looking to sell my wedding ring, and I'd like to get my diamond graded so I can have factual data to go from when selling it. I see that the GIA doesn't grade mounted stones, and now I'm sort of confused by the whole thing. Does anyone have advice for my next steps?

Hi there, it is 1.6 carats and a round cut. There is a reputable jewelry purchaser in town and he said the amount he would pay would be increased if I have papers on the diamond, and he does want it to be GIA. So, can they remove the stone and consider it loose to grade it, etc?

No, GIA will not remove the stone from the setting. However, if you are talking to a jeweller, I am sure you can work something out where you pay a small fee to get the stone removed (and above all re-set, which is the more difficult part), enabling you or the jeweller to submit the loose stone to GIA. Be aware that GIA fees are $111 for a diamond of 1.50-1.99 carats, and removing and resetting a stone in a claw setting should not be a lot of money either - but things can get complicated if you have a different setting type (bezel, tension, rub-over).

He's right, you'll get more with GIA. You can submit it yourself, your appraiser can do it or you can have the buyer do it. As David said, it's not a terribly expensive task although it can take a while with them. The range of outcomes is huge, which is why to do it. Without a GIA he's going to be assuming the worst case scenarios. Maybe it is the worst case, but maybe not and the differene is in the thousands of dollars..

No matter who you sell it to, it's likely to go better unmounted anyway so I wouldn't even bother resetting it.

Edited by denverappraiser