Polish: Good Vs. Very Good Or Excellent

ronk15a

I recently examined 1 GIA & 2 IGI stones all of which had good symmetry and good polish, (not very pretty stones at all) 2 princess and 1 pear. For some reason they appear to be dull/ and not very lively....What I mean is that after I Windex/ammonia them, then steam clean them, and view them with my 10x loupe they appear ok (sharp-wise)....but 1-2 inspections later (3-5) minutes later...they need to be steamed again for that high/sharp glass-like-look otherwise they look dull. Is this a characteristic attributed to good polish? Its not cloudy/dull due to strong/very strong fluorescence….the stones exhibit NO fluorescence under UV.

PLEASE NOTE: The stones are never touched by oily hands, and constantly lint-free rubbed. (naturally-as-we-all-do) Your Thoughts.....

Regards Ron

Edited by ronk15a

A slightly "wet" stone will look more sparkly. I'm wondering if you are observing them the first time just after cleaning with a certain degree of humidity/wetness still on them (steam cleaners are supposed to leave stones dry, but they don't do so completely). Try cleaning and putting them away in a clean paper/box for 5 minutes without touching them. If they look dull after 5 minutes but no intervening touches, it was the cleaning humidity. Otherwise, it may be the polish or it may be the transparency of the stone (which is not graded, but is still very different from one stone to the next).

I agree stones that are slightly “wet†will look more sparkly! I think the humidity/wetness has played a significant role in this specific matter because once the stones were completely dry (5 minutes in a paper box) the 3 poorly cut stones appeared slightly duller. (lighting environment being consistent and controlled) . After reading your posts, I re-examined a GIA .83ct round ex/ex/ from my inventory and found interesting results. “Wet†looked amazing “dry†looked amazing: period.

I think the important thing here to note is that stones that are clearly of better cut ie. AGS 000 or TRIPLE X caliber will hold there beauty/sparkle/fire/sharpness/brilliance intensity way after they have been cleaned, as opposed too the ones that are not very well cut. Hence, the importance of cut quality. Correct?

In regards to transparency and polish: Are stones with better polish i.e. Very good or excellent (stones that will have naturally better transparency) and resulting in a less dull more lively stone and accurate conclusion?

Edited by ronk15a

Polish and transparency are two completely different things. One is about the finish of the facets, and it is largely controllable by the cutter; transparency is a characteristic of the rough, and there is nothing to be done about it other than selecting the most transparent rough (which of course costs more...).

On the light performance of a dirty diamond, this may be interesting... http://www.gia.edu/research-resources/cut-microsite-pdfs/optics-of-a-dirty-diamond.pdf