Need Advice On Princess Cut Diamond..please Help..thank You!

Dolphinsfan

Hi I recently viewed a Princess Cut E color SI1 stone at a reputable jeweler. The stone was eye clean and I really liked it. The stone had some feathers which lost were located on the bottom of the stone but there was one particular feather located near the girdle that made me nervous. I didn't ask if the jeweler would be responsible if the stone cracked or would the insurance pay for something like this? Here is the GIA report: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2121692913&weight=1.52# I appreciate the help! Thank You So Much!

Hi Dolphin,

Jewelers vary a lot on their insurance coverage and how they handle setting liability. Definitely ask. It's generally different depending on whether you buy it from them so if you're planning on buying in one place and setting somewhere else, make sure they understand the question. Most places will NOT take liability on stones they didn't sell and it seems to be about 50/50 if they did.

Did you loupe the feather? Does it break the girdle plane? What is its color?

Tough for us to answer your question without additionl information.

I don't see any problems with the feathers in this stone for setting purposes a long as you have an accomplished jeweler that is setting the stone. The problem with princess cut diamonds is not just setting a stone with a feather but chipping the corners while setting the stone. They have to be very careful when setting even if there are no feathers.

Thanks for the advice!

Jan, based on your opinion after looking at the feathers, what would be a fair price for the diamond between 10-11k?

The specs of this princess cut diamond are 1.52 E Color Eye Clean SI1 Table 74% Depth 68.7%

Very Good Polish Very Good Symmetry Faint Fluorescence

I viewed the diamond and it looks very nice. My concern is the Fluorescence,feathers and if price is too high.

Thanks so much!

Is $10,900 a fair price for this diamond? The length/width size makes the diamond look larger from the top view almost like a 1.6 or low 1.7 carat. I looked on BlueNile and they had two similar diamonds one was $11,600 and other was $12,600. I asked a different local Jeweler close to where I would be buying and they said 10k would be a good price so this was a little over priced? Thanks!

Thanks so much Jan. My two other options were 1.60 H color 6.75x6.67x4.46 mm very good symmetry and polish no fluorescence. Very thin to medium Girdle. 69% table and Depth 72% for $10,800 or 1.61 G VS2 6.54X6.51x4.57mm Very Good Polish and Symmetry don't have the rest of specs on this one yet but price is $11,500. I've looked at the E and H in person and they are both nice but the E is mucher clearer but H with it's dimensions looks slightly larger. Which diamond based on this info seems to be the best for thr price? Thanks so so much!

Just beware that a "large" diamond that is not particularly well cut will look smaller than a well cut diamond although the physical dimensions may well be 0.1 or 0.2 mm lower.

I'm not saying the one you are considering is well (or poorly) cut - there isn't enough information to even hazard a guess - but be aware that price differences of 20-40% due to cut quality are normal.