Getting Ready To Deploy With Army And Requesting Advise On .83Ct Gia Vs2/e Round Cut

signal2711

I'm looking to buy an engagement ring before deploying out of the country with the Army on August 1st. I plan to have a custom ring made and using it to fit whatever stone I purchase. I have been dealing with a local jeweler, who I initially approached about making the custom ring, to also purchase the diamond. My criteria for the diamond is a round stone and its brilliance/brightness is more important than size (she doesn't want a "big" stone so <1.0ct) and my budget is in the $6-$7k range. I do have a time constraint as this all needs to happen before the 1st of August. I've been upfront about all of this with the jeweler I'm working with and I wonder if maybe I have been to upfront regarding my time constraints, although he assures me I'm getting a very good price for the following:

GIA

GIA # 210516348314

.83ct

Measurements: 6.16-6.26 x 3.65mm

Color: E

Clarity Grade: VS2

Cut Grade: Very Good

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

Comments: Pinpoints are not shown

$6,075

The Jeweler has spent several hours with me over the past week and has been extremely patient and respectful and after meeting with me initially told me he went to NYC to select the couple stones he wound up showing me. I've been comparing other diamonds online and wonder if I am getting a good price. Initially I was skeptical about purchasing through an online retailer but after reading through other posts I'm beginning to reconsider.

Is $6,075 a good price for this diamond or could I get a lot more bang for my buck? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Chris

You could purchase an equivalently graded stone from a good online retailer for about $1000 less. However, I do prefer the look of some "Very Good" cut to others and even to some "Excellent" - but to determine whether it's "one of those" a visual inspection is required. Also, the help and service that your jeweller is providing may or may not be matched by the online dealer, and they are worth something for sure.

In terms of "bang for your buck", it all depends on what goes "bang" for you. I would rather have a top-of-the-line cut and lower colour to G or even H (if you want a white stone), than a so-so E, keeping the some size and clarity or thereabouts (perhaps getting to 0.90 in size), but your budget seems plentiful in any case if you have $6-7k for the centre stone.

Finally one minor point: I have tried to look up the GIA report to understand why the stone has been graded "very good" cut, but the number you provided does not seem to be correct

Completed custom by August 1 deployment is a tight schedule, especially if it's a complicated piece. You're good to be in a hurry to choose the stone.

Ditto Davide's comments about what you mean by 'bang'. E's are not common choices among budget conscious shoppers although you've got plenty of budget to get pretty much whatever you want in that size range.

Check out the 'diamond finder' at the top of the page to look for comparable stones from other sellers. Even if you have no intention of shopping with these people it is a useful way of telling if your chosen jeweler is price competitive.

Thank you for your service.

Edited by denverappraiser

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your input. Daivide, you are right I did list the wrong # on the GIA report (I listed the barcode #). The number is 114265940 and attached is a picture of the report.

Cut and color are the two most important factors for me. Is it worth trying to negotiate the price down and being upfront about my online research with the jeweler? He has already told me that $6075 is his best price. I really want to be respectful of all the time he has put in with me, but I agree that there are better online deals available and $1000 or so is to much of a difference to be happy with the purchase. Again, thank you for your advice and help.

- Chris

post-130790-0-24724400-1342376684_thumb.jpg

The cut - as far as I can read from the GIA report image (the number is still not working for me, and the resolution of the picture you pasted is low) - is not "very good" at all for today's standards. Pavilion 42.4°, crown 32.5°, table 64% is not a particularly inspiring recipe for my taste, and I would pass on that stone at that price. I would be surprised if the jeweller were able to cut $1000 (or more!) from the price, but it's worth a try.

This said, for less than $6k you can get a much better cut E/VS2 (or a top-flight G/VS2 for less than $5k), so in terms of bangs for the buck, I'd hold out for another diamond...

Thank you,

I also found this diamond on USAA... They seem comparable in pricing to Blue Nile and searches I've done in Pricescope:

Round

0.9 ct

E

VS2

EXCELLENT

6.18 x 6.14 x 3.84 mm

Table % 58.0

Depth % 62.4

Symmetry: Excellent

Medium to Slightly Thick

None

None

$7,151.00

I know USAA is members only (military and family) but does anyone have any experience with them. I've been with them over 10 years and trust them completely with all my banking and most of my insurance. Thank you!

- Chris

I would like to put in a plug for your jeweler. He's earning his cut. They don't always. By all means use the internet merchants as a competitive hammer and simply show him the ad and the cert for stones you're considering but, in the end, I wouldn't push him all the way to the wall. If you avoid the 'signature series' and the like he can probably get the very same stones that the online guys are selling.

USAA is fine and their members mostly love 'em. I'm not wild about the whole business of broad integration of insurance, jewelry, roofing, pluming and everything else they dip their toes into and I have the same criticism of Walmart and Costco. It seems to lead to doing a lot of things pretty well but nothing superbly. As far as I know they don't do custom but they might. Ask.

There's an important price bump that occurs at 0.90cts. That and the 'excellent' cut are the big reasons your second one costs more than the first.

Given that Cut and Color are your hot buttons, why are you at VS2?

(not that there's anything wrong with VS2's, I'm just trying to understand the path that led to where you are.)

I guess I'm only at VS2 because that is where I've arbitrarily drawn the line for what I consider an acceptable diamond as far as being able to see imperfections based on some articles I have read and several jewelers and shops I have visited. Should I consider dropping in clarity? Will an Si clarity compromise an ideal/excellent cut? Thank you Neil, Davide, and Laura, I really do appreciate you taking the time to offer your input!

Respectfully,

- Chris

Clarity has nothing to do with ideal or excellent cutting. Neither does color.

Should you drop? Maybe, that's up to you. SI1's are noticably cheaper and you can spend that money on a bigger size, fancier ring, higher color, or just have money left over in the bank. That's your call, but internet advice is a bad way to make it. Go look at real diamonds. GIA graded, excellent cuts, and a variety of colors and clarities. If you're near a big city this shouldn't be that hard to find. The test of eye-visible is in the eyes, not in online tutorials. The point of this is education and training your eyes so don't get stressed out about the prices.

Thank you all,

I met with my jeweller this morning and we agreed to move forawrd on my custom setting but that I would get my diamond elsewhere. I've been doing lots of reading and research and believe I have found a good deal. What do you think? Thank you again for all of your help!

$6600

Round Carat: 0.86

Cut: Excellent

Lab: GIA Certificate: 5116825399

Clarity: VS1

Color: D

Symmetry: Excellent

Fluorescence: None

Table: 59

Depth: 59.8

Length: 6.17

Width: 6.2

Height: 3.7

Crown Height: 14

Culet: None Girdle: Thin to Medium

Pavilion Depth: 43

Edited by signal2711

Not necessarily, that stone just looked to be a good deal compared to others with similar grades. Are there any inclusions in a VS2 that would interfere with light coming off the stone? Some things I have read said the wrong type of inclusion on a VS2 could affect the look of the diamond. Thank you!

There is NO WAY a correctly graded VS2 inclusion would affect the light performance of a diamond. Very occasionally an eagle-eyed person may see a highly contrasting VS2 inclusion with the naked eye, but to get something that affects light return you need to get down to I1-I2 (or some very rare SI2 with lots of dark clouds)

There is NO WAY a correctly graded VS2 inclusion would affect the light performance of a diamond. Very occasionally an eagle-eyed person may see a highly contrasting VS2 inclusion with the naked eye, but to get something that affects light return you need to get down to I1-I2 (or some very rare SI2 with lots of dark clouds)

So if I considered an SI1 with Ideal cut there would be no difference in light performance than higher graded stones (VVS1-VS2)... I am considering the following:

$5400

.85, E, SI1

Eye Clean Yes

Light Performance Ideal

Polish Ideal

Symmetry Ideal

Depth % 61.5

Table % 56.3

Crown Angle 34.9

Star 52.0

Pavilion Angle 40.8

Crown % 15.3

Lower Girdle % 76.0

Measurements 6.08x6.11x3.75

Culet Pointed

Fluorescence Negligible

Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

http://www.whiteflash.com/jewelry/thumbnail.ashx?itemcode=ci_ags-104059381002.jpg&type=certhouse

Should I be conerned about the light leakage shown on the following AGS report? Thank you

- Chris

Here is link: http://www.jamesalle...ond-1452915.asp

I don't see any light leakage - light green is not leakage, and the tiny areas of leakage around the girdle seem to be an unavoidable feature of the round brilliant - however, the size/resolution of the image is not enough for my poor eyes. I do see some asymmetry that I would not mind even though it clearly disqualifies this diamond from being called "Hearts and Arrows", but I love old cuts and do not care for H&A.

So if I considered an SI1 with Ideal cut there would be no difference in light performance than higher graded stones (VVS1-VS2)... I am considering the following:

[snip]

http://www.whiteflas...&type=certhouse

There would be no difference due to clarity. Cut parameters will dictate light performance, and both stones are very well cut indeed.

Thank you Davide,

Attached is a better copy of the light performance map I am concerned with. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I'm really interested in trying to understand all of this. There is a big leah plot towards the center of the stone at about the 7 o'clock position. None of the other light maps I have seen show something this drastic. What do you think?

- Chris

post-130790-0-59347700-1342537881_thumb.jpg

You know - perhaps I'm blind, but I really don't see the leakage. I see an "anomalous" (asymmetric) patch of red between 7 and 8 o'clock, and a particularly large blue patch all around the centre that may give a rather unusual look when you look at the stone "dead on". Can you get hold of the AGS report number (AGS offers an online report check facility with full res images)?