Opinions On This Diamond - Good Quality?

OhLola

Just browing diamonds for an engagement ring, is this diamond of good quality?

Carat Weight: 1.36

Clarity: VS2

Colour: E

Shape: Princess

Cut: Very Good

Measurements: 6.25 x 6.23 x 4.30mm.

Table: 66.3%

Depth: 69%

Diamond type: Clarity Enhanced

Grading Lab: IGL

Edited by OhLola
  • Like 1

The certificate says IGL - International Gemological Laboratory.

I have looked in to what 'clarity enhanced' is, so I know that it refers to a diamond that has been treated to improve its appearance by filling fissures or fractures, as long as the diamond isn't going to break easier or similar, I don't think I mind...

The issue is not what words the abbreviation IGL stands for, the issue is whether you trust them to describe the diamond correctly.

The price difference between a correctly graded E and a correctly graded H is about 40%; they will both look white. The price difference for cut quality can be even stronger, and I have zippo on which to judge whether that "very good" is what it says. On clarity, all we know is that it's not a VS2. The difference between a "good" SI2 and a "bad" I2 is of the order of 3-4 times. That is $10000 to $2500-3000 assuming same colour or cut. So, are you getting a bargain, are you being ripped off or are you paying a fair price?

On durability,. there's two issues. One is the durability of the filler material, which is softer and far less resistant to knocks, temperature and age than diamond, but it can be replaced easily if it falls out or it discolours/scratches. It's a bit of a pain to send the ring away for fixing, but it can be fixed, just make sure that the vendor guarantees the filling (ideally for life). The durability of the stone itself may be an issue or not - it depends on where the fractures are, how large they are and when/how they arose.

In summary - is it good quality? Who knows? You have more questions than answers with the information you have.

Lolo,

Clarity enhanced means it’s not good quality. That may be acceptable and it usually comes paired with a substantially lower price, but it’s the nature of the beast that there is a material flaw that someone has tried to mask. The masking may or may not have been particularly successful. IGL apparently thinks it was. The question at hand is whether you believe them.

100% of your grading data is coming from IGL and/or the dealer. I presume you haven’t seen the stone yourself and you haven't showed it to a grader who is working for YOU. This makes the most important element whether you count them as a reliable source. Do you? I’ve never heard of them, which doesn’t mean all that much, but anyone who wants to can call themselves a gemological lab and can write whatever they want on a report. The trick is that you don’t need to care. The burden is on them to convince you that their opinions have merit and the default answer is NO. The fact that the dealer is asking you to rely on them means that you need to decide if you believe THEM. Do you? We've never seen the stone so we can't really address the question but the clues aren't great. I've NEVER seen a CE stone that I would grade a VS2, and I've seen hundreds of them. That doesn't mean they don't exist but odds are against. The difference between VS2 and I1 is huge and it's not outside the range of possibilities here. The difference between E and J is huge and is definitely within the possibilities here. The difference between 'Very Good' and 'Fair' is huge and we don't even have a scale. We know next to nothing, and the only clues are a dealer supplied statement from a lab I've never heard of. That's a loophole big enough to drive a truck through. Are they right? I haven't a clue. I've never seen the stone. That doesn't make them wrong but it's definitely a red flag.

Edited by denverappraiser

• 4 years later...

Hi!

The clearity emhanced dianomd is a low quality diamonds. The IGL labaratory is a worst labortory. Liers.

Next time buy the natural diamond with GIA certificate. Buy smaller natural diamond ( not enhanced).

The si1-si2 clarity is a best value diamond ( looks good, eye clean, cheap $3500-4000 per carat).

If your wife/girfriend use yellow gold , you can buy H-J color diamond. For white gold use g-h diamonds ( it's near to colorless) If you have no money, you can buy  light yellow (K+ diamond) with medium or strong blue fluorescence. In the daylight your stone will look like a white.

if you have any questions, feel free  to ask me.

Thanks, Pavel.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the OP is long gone...

Generally all CE diamonds start off as SI2-I1-I2 in the hopes that the treatment either (FF or LD) will make them appear to be VS with the unaided eye. Regardless of the treatment the internal clarity issues will still be present via a 10x loupe. There is no clarity enhanced stone that would ever be considered VS after the procedure.

Laser drilling: is commonly used to remove small dark inclusions. The laser bores a small hole into the diamond’s interior and burns away the inclusion, or creates a channel through which a bleaching agent can be introduced to improve the inclusion’s appearance.

7.jpg

Fracture Filling: Original Yehuda compound - Circa 1982 - Pb (lead), Bi (bismuth), B (boron), O (oxygen) and Cl (chloride) * P.S. I believe current compound: Molten Lead Glass

8.jpg

Edited by ronk15a
  • Like 1