Need Advice On This Diamond, Any Good? Help!! 2.06, G, Vs2

Such1

Hi all

So that time has come where I need to make an honest woman of my partner and the search for 'the rock' has begun.......and it's damn confusing!!

What I've found out from her friends is that she likes round brilliant stones and ideally in a classic tapered baguette setting with platinum band.

Naturally I'd like to get the nicest stone I possibly can but although I know I want something betweeen 2 - 2.2c, I want to make sure it is a good one.

From doing a bit of novice reading, I've so far decided on G, VS2, xxx, with GIA cert. But that's as far as my research takes me.

I've attached the following cert for one that a dealer has found me - he hasn't provided a price yet but I think it's gonna hurt!!! I was just a bit curious about all the markings on the reference diagrams and if that means that it isn't actually that good.

I've been told its coming from a lab in NY, mined in SA and cut in Belgium. Although my source is based in India. I told you it was confusing!!

Any advice on this stone, things I should be looking out for, other suggestions and price expectations would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

post-130786-0-57309800-1342205156_thumb.jpg

Well, it's hard to imagine a 2.06/G/VS2/GIAxxx that's anything less than 'Any Good' but perhaps the question to be asking is whether or not this is the right stone for you. How did you come down to those specs? Why not H, or VVS2 for example? What's the price? Are the claims of SA origin and/or Belgian cutting imporatant to you? If so, what are they using to back up that claim?

Are you in India? If not, why did you coose to buy from a dealer there?

I'm sorry, I guess 'any good' is the wrong term.....I was more concerned that the more detailed specs which go way above my head (table & depth% etc..) were complimentary to such a stone. It's just that I've seen stones which seem similar to me in terms of the main specs (size, colour, clarity etc..) vary in price significantly from the same source.

The one thing I am sure on is the size - the other specs I have simply chosen to try getting the nicest possible stone within my total finished ring budget of around $30k. And I don't want any black dot inclusions which I have seen on some SI1's. G, VS2 seemed a good combo which come in under this figure although I'm more than happy to hear suggestions from a real pro.......as opposed to me thinking I'm a pro after 2 weeks of googling!

I opted for GIA after reading on various forums that they were the most stringent and hence reliable.

Origin and cutting location has no importance to me, it's just what I was told about this one in particular and no proof was given/has been offered. I'm actually based in the UK and came across this particular dealer just through internet searches in an attempt to obtain a price comparison against those I was obtaining from local dealers to myself. I am happy to buy from wherever I can obtain a great stone/ring at a competitive rate.

I'm sorry if I'm going on a bit - it's just that this is pretty much my single biggest purchase and considering its in an area outside of my expertise, it's very nerve racking!

Thanks

Everything seems fine on paper, including the price. The plot looks normal for a VS2 - the inclusions are plotted to help you locate them, not to tell you what they look like...

As usual, the proof of the diamond is in the seeing, and as you have noticed there are differences in price in diamonds that are "apparently" the same - these are to some extent variations in cost structure, but there's also real, visible differences in the details of cutting, symmetry, transparency of the stone (not the same thing as "clarity"). The differences aren't minor - prices from a half dozen competitive online suppliers vary between $35k and $23k. Unfortunately, none of these is visible on the paper, and only direct examination and comparison of the diamonds will tell you what is what. Second best is to get some images, including reflector images (IS/ASET), and possibly the results of a Sarin/OGI scan. Or find a trusted vendor - going with the cheapest can sometimes be the most expensive way to purchase something.

One final point on budgets: bear in mind that if you are buying from outside the EU, you will have to pay VAT at the prevailing rate of 20%, and possibly customs duty (2.5% on mounted jewellery, but thankfully 0% on loose stones).

If you're going to shop in India from the UK, make sure you understand the whole deal. As Davide points out, there are some tax, shipping, insurance and foreign exchange issues that almost certainly apply. There's also some complications with returns and refunds if you end up going that route.

The diagram on the lab report is called a 'plot'. Think of it more like a map than an illustration. It's not really correct to look at the amount of ink used as a way of evaluating the things. What it's for is to allow you to know what it was that caused them to grade it as they did and to help you to identify that particular stone from similar ones. There's nothing especially alarming about the one you posted.

It's worth noting that clarity is not a linear scale. VS2 is a pretty high grade and the difference between IF and VS2, 4 full grades, is WAY less than the difference between a VS2 and an I2, also 4 grades. Basically the range for each grade gets larger the farther down you go.

Thanks for the input and your time on this guys - very helpful and definitely given me some things to consider.

Think I'll now ideally try to find someone local(ish) so I can view the stone before purchase or even maybe used a trusted online seller like some of the names mentioned on this site.

One final thing though - what does it mean when it refers to the girdle? I've seen some thin to mediums, slightly thick etc... Does this have a bearing on how it will fit on a band and is there one that is better than the other? Or is this just a very small detail which doesn't have that much of a bearing in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks again

The girdle is the perimeter/edge of the diamond; it is what gives the diamond its shape (round, cushion, rectangular, ...). It has no bearing on how it will fit on a ring, however there is definitely better and worse:

1. Avoid extremes. Too thin, and you run the risk of having fragility in a part of the diamond exposed to knocks and bumps. Too thick, and you end up with a lot of expensive weight tied up in the girdle, where you cannot see it.

2. Avoid variability. This is more of an insurance factor - GIA will grade based on thickest and thinnest part even if they are very small, but a highly variable girdle thickness in a round may be a sign of something not quite right with the cut. Three grades is fine (e.g. Sl Thk-Sl Thn), but more than that or something containing extremes requires visual inspection.