First Time Buyer - Opinions On This Heart?

kcdiamond

I found out that the lady in my life would love a Heart Shaped diamond, so I have been looking around for a stone between 0.95 and 1.05 carats. Basically I want to make sure I have a good quality stone for the best price; I don't want to sacrifice quality for a lower price though.

I found the following stone online, it is GIA certified, the statistics are below:

Cost: $3800

1.04 ct

I-VS1

Table: 56%

Depth: 58.1%

Flr: None

Symmetry: Very Good

Polish: Excellent

Girdle: Thick - Very Thick

Culet: None

Dimensions: 6.06 x 7.1 x 4.13

This is the main one that caught my eye, but for comparisons sake here are two other similars (all 3 are GIA Certified.) This particular site calls both of these below "Excellent Cuts"

Cost: $3,650

0.96 ct

I-VS1

Table: 60%

Depth: 55.6%

Flr: None

Symmetry: Very Good

Girdle: Slightly Thick - Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

Dimensions: 6.06 x 6.98 x 3.88

Cost: $3,650

0.96 ct

H-VS2

Table: 58%

Depth: 59%

Flr: Faint

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Thin - Very Thick, Faceted

Culet None

Dimensions: 6.20 x 6.63 x 3.91

I do not have any pictures of the diamonds but I am going to ask for them. From what I have researched everything looks great, my only concern is that a 0.85 L/W ratio might look a little too wide. But at 1.04 ct, I didn't expect that to be the case. Both of these online vendors have a good return policy as well in case I don't like it after I buy it.

Let's say I do end up buying the stone, what would be the next step once I get the diamond? Take it directly to an appraiser to make sure I bought what they told me I was getting?

Thank you,

-KC

Edited by kcdiamond

Hi KC,

While the overall specs and proportions look ok, heart-shapes and other fancy shapes are not cut to a standard so it is very difficult to accurately assess the overall look and brilliance without seeing pictures. If you are able to get pictures of more than one stone, try to ask for them side by side as overall shape is extremely important and personal in heart-shapes. Side by side pictures will also show you differences in brilliance.

+1 to what George said.

In terms of next steps, I think the first step is to make sure YOU like it... if you don't, no amount of professional opinion is going to be useful. Do you like hearts with a deep cleft or a barely noticeable one? Chubby or more pointed? Do you like more brightness or more fire? All of these are questions only you can answer, and only by seeing the stones.

In fact, as a step 0, I would recommend that before choosing the stones to "try out", you give your eyes (and maybe those of your to-be-fiancée) a little training by going to a few reputable shops and seeing what they have. Not to buy, but to help you understand what you (and she) like and what you don't.

Davide's recommendation to go look at heart-shaped stones in stores in order to start getting an idea of what shapes appeal to you is excellent. Do not be disheartened if most of the stores don't have heart-shapes to show you though. HS diamonds are not the most popular item and most stores do not stock any, so it might require a little legwork and patience. You can also inquire with on-line stores and ask for pictures. On-line stores have access to vast inventories and are usually set up to give you a fairly good education before you purchase.

Thanks for all of the input, this is my first Diamond buy so I have been trying to do my research before I make the big step to buy. I did have a local jeweler bring in 2 different Hearts (0.70 ct and 0.96 ct) to give me a rough idea of how big I would need to go for the band I had in mind. The store markup may not be huge, but it's enough to make me turn online to try and find the stone, so I want to do my due diligence so I am not buying and returning many stones until I find the right one (if I can help it.)

Davidelevi, I think we would be looking for a stone with a more noticeable cleft, but due to my inexperience I am not sure what you mean when you refer to "brightness" or "fire?" I plan on placing it in a band with round side diamonds in it, so the Heart will need to have that Shine so it stands out (besides the size of course.)

Thanks again.

-KC

Couple of good primer articles on brightness, scintillation (sparkle) and fire from GIA. They were written for rounds, but the concepts and definitions apply to any other shape as well.

http://www.gia.edu/d...ll_1998_Cut.pdf

http://www.gia.edu/d...ll_2001_Cut.pdf

The Diamonds by Lauren site has quite a few images of heart shaped diamonds of all colours and varieties - it may be a good starting point (and source of images to show the dealer(s) what you want). Search the "sold" section as well as current stock

Edited by davidelevi