Recommended Jewelry Buyers In Tampa, Fl

dsmit2

Can anyone recommend a reputable jeweler that buys or consigns estate jewelry in Tampa.

I have a family ring that I received with over 30 diamonds on it with a combined weight of about 2.25 carats. I'm looking to possibly sell or consign it locally. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

You are asking it more or less in the right place - Purchase Experiences should be for reviews rather than help requests, but there is no problem in that respect.

I think the issue is more with local knowledge. I know three businesses in Florida that I have dealt with as a consumer, but they are all in Miami or vicinity, and I know a few people in other places in the USA that will take consignments and not rip you off, happy to give you names, but they are definitely not close to Tampa!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. What I have found so far, is that this family ring, I have, is considered an antique or period piece from most likely the '1920's. I have spoken to several local family jewelers that "specialize" in buying estate jewelry. I have been told that because the ring is diamond on platinum and the stones are old European cut SI1 grade and H/I color. that it is a nice piece but really nothing too special. Without going into more detail than that (I have a full appraisal), they recommended selling it outright as opposed to putting it on consignment.

After reading your reply, do you feel there would be any particular advantage to consignment over just selling to them outright? The stores I spoke to, did say it was nice enough for them to re-sell it as opposed to, say, just scrapping it. Any advice or opinion you might have for me, a novice at best, would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Age does not, of itself, make jewelry valuable. For the most part, jewelry holds up pretty well and there's actually quite a bit of older goods around. The issue is a fashion one. Some are 'cool' and some aren't. It always has the intrinsic value of the scrap parts but what it's worth above and beyond that, if any, is all about the style, craftsmanship and condition. There's no way to give you a feel for that without looking at the piece but you can tell a bit from the bids you got to buy it. Were they more than for scrap?

Is this appraisal something you hired as a resale question? If so, call them up and talk to them about it.

The appraisal was done in 1982 when the ring was passed to my parents. I actually spoke to the person, today, who wrote it back then. He and his father (now retired) still have a family owned store in Toledo, OH and my family has known them personally for at least 3 generations. They told me that they knew of the stores here in Tampa, FL that I had shown the ring to and that the offers to buy and re-sell the ring were pretty much in line with the current market, which, by the way are not nearly as valuable in today's market compared to the value determined in 1982.

I am new to this forum, Neil, so I don't know if discussing numbers is appropriate or not. But I wouldn't mind discussing it if you would be interested in helping me to confirm my findings. In fact, I would appreciate your input if you were so inclined.Let me know how to best relay that information to you, and thanks for your above input.

Discuss whatever numbers you like.

There are several major areas of confusion for people when reading appraisals. First is the definition of ‘value’. Any statement of value must contain an element of what it’s worth to whom, when and under what circumstances. With most appraisals you see, over 90%, the definition being used is what you would expect it to cost to replace the item with another one like it new, at retail, locally, today. They may or may not even be answering that correctly but it’s a very very different question than what can a private party reasonably expect to get for it on resale 30 years later. The value conclusion you have from 1982 is answering a completely different question.

I’m probably not going to be able to tell you much in terms of numbers because I haven’t seen the piece and it’s all about the grading and market selection. It may be useful to you to hire your own appraiser and ask about current market conditions but in most cases it’s a matter of scrap gold and the center diamond. Sellers are almost always disappointed because they want to look at what it was ‘worth’ in 1982 and apply some formula because surely everything has appreciated since then. Some things have, but that’s just not the way it works.

Edited by denverappraiser

• 4 weeks later...

Moved. Wife retired. We bought 100 acres in West Tennessee and I'm starting building the house in a few weeks. Then I get to build my jewelry shop and I suspect I'll be back to making pretty things mid to late next summer. We've been here about 9 months or so trying to get things organized and moving forward. She wants to raise beef and horses and goats and and and and.

Jeff Hess is one of the hugest estate buyers in the Tampa area. Good people.

• 1 year later...

I would recommend Meridian Diamond. Super nice guys, and out of the 5 places I went, (one above that is mentioned too) they offered me the most for a Tiffany engagement ring that I never gave to my ex, and paid me on the spot. 

Their contact info is listed on their website below.. 

www.MeridianDiamonds.com

Edited by bandrews