Help,please!

Backdraft321

Hi I'm hoping for some professional help.

I'm looking to buy a stone and I was hoping to get some input on this particular stone.first time buyer,I've done some research and I think this might be it,still nervous it's a big purchase for me.

The stone is a GIA cert. 1.80 ct,excellent cut VS1 and of I color,round brilliant!polish and sym excellent,Fluorescene none.Table is 55% and depth is 62.1. I think is a pretty good stone but color wise not sure.i've read that if cut is good it might make up for some of that color but I also heard that having some fluorescene might also help. is this my stone or should I wait and save more money?

Would appreciate any comments/opinions don't want to make a mistake

Thank you

Whether it's your stone depends very much on what you are looking for and on the details of what you are considering. A well cut I colour will look white from the top; it may show a little colour from the side against a white background, but this will not be visible in most circumstances.

Fluorescence may help - probably more so in J-L stones - but in any case only in sunlight. Other light sources simply do not have enough UV radiation to make any difference.

That's a good (and expensive) set of specs but it's difficult to arrive at an answer to what's the right one for you. How did you arrive at this particular stone? You're paying a premium for VS1 and you're worried about the compromise associated with an I color. A VS2/H, for example, will probably be about the same price and possibly be more to your liking and an SI1/H will probably be cheaper. Have you seen the stone? Have you seen ANY well cut I colors? Have you seen the difference between a VS1, a VS2 and an SI1?

Thank you guys for your prompt replies. I have not looked at this particular stone as I'm also looking online.i have seen a few diff stones personally but I felt the jewelers/dealers were not being honest with me,not saying they were ripping me off it just didn't feel right so I opted to do some stone search online and I came across this one at blue Nile. Its what I had in mind at a price that's within my budget.( the stone is $15.000) sorry if I did not mention it before,I just want to make sure I'm getting a descent deal,it's definitely a better deal than what I was getting at jewelers. By researching online it seems like this stone is within measurements of a alright stone,I was just afraid that I would pay this money and have a yellow stone.

Is it normal for jewelers to show you copies of GIA reports? One of them told me the report was in the city(NYC) and that kind of threw me off.they got the stone but not the cert? Anyway please advice me if I may be over paying for it and is blue Nile a good place to get it?

Thank you again to the 2 of you that replied,you are being of great help

Yes, it's quite normal for stones to travel accompanied by copies of the report. Bear in mind that in most cases the jeweller/retailer does not own the stone - the wholesaler/cutter does.

Blue Nile is absolutely fine - it's not the cheapest and it provides limited service, but you will not be ripped off and it is a solid company.

The real question - which both Neil and I have tried to put forward, but with limited results - is what are you looking for? There may be better choices out there for the same or less money, and your budget is not so constrained as to make a 1.80 I/VS1 the only logical choice. In this sense, you may be overpaying or you may be disappointed in what you get independently of whether the diamond is fairly priced.

For example: it seems that you (your fiancée-to-be) set a high priority on the diamond looking white. Fine, but no cigar: I is at the limit of what I would call "white". You then mention "measurements being all right" and "decent", but these are not quantified. There are many different looks and proportions that can get a GIA "excellent" cut grade, so is this an appropriate stone for what you would like? We don't know because you haven't told us.

I can't speak for your local jeweler, or BN either, but my experience has been that BN is a reliable outfit. Locals are a mixed bag but there is definitely some value in shopping with a quality local merchant if you can find one. Personally, I"m even willing to pay extra for a good local merchant. If you don't think they're being honest, walk away regardless of the price claims or how good the 'free' coffee is. This is a highly trust based business. If the person you're speaking with is just being stupid, which is irritatingly common, talk to a manager. Sales people vary wildly in their skills. If you can't find a SA that 'clicks' with you, walk away. There's lots of jewelers out there.

Ditto what Davide said. People come here asking questions a chosen VS1 fairly regularly. When asked, they say they want a stone with nothing eye visible but aren't concerned about clarity beyond that. They read somewhere online that VS1 guarantees that but they've never actually looked at real diamonds to see. In MOST cases, SI1 is not going to have eye visible inclusions. That's 2 full grades different. In this size/color range that's on the order of a $2500 variable. By all means buy a VS1 if that's what you want, but don't do it because of something you read, do it becasue of something you SAW.

A similar thing happens with color. G-H-I are hugely popular colors because of the charts online that call these the least expensive of the 'colorless' stones. To some extent that's true although a lot of people are very happy with J's and a some love the icy look of E's and F's and don't mind the extra price. That said, I->G is something like a $5000 bump with this sort of stone. That's big money. It's worth a look at a few stores and at a few correctly graded stones to see how YOUR eyes percieve the difference. A lot of people THINK I-J-K's are a lot yellower than they really are.

This is a big game of whack-a-mole. Hammer down one variable and another pops up. You can either put everything down and tollerate the price or strategically choose which things you want near your acceptable edge. You chose color (sort of) in order to keep prices down and have topped clarity, weight and cutting. It's not that this is a bad choice but it's not the only choice. Why did you make it?

Hey guys,thank you again for your response.

I thought about this particular stone because it does meet what I'm looking for or what i think I should get, by researching i see everybody talks about cut being very important because how the light will travel it will give a good sparkle or the most sparkle which is what I want. Clarity,I picked VS1 for two reasons one being that one of the stones I looked personally you could see a small mark on it(cloud/feather not sure what you call it)and jeweler told me that was an SI,or so he says.obviously i do not want to see anything on it and two I do want to get something of a better quality than SI.im probably way off but did not want to get anything lower than VS2.originally I was looking for 2 ct but soon found out that prices change once you hit that mark so started looking for stones under 2 ct.now I know there's not much of a difference between a 1.70 and 1.80 ct but there's a little difference between a 1.7 and a 1.9 so i figure the closer i could get to what i wanted the better and lastly color I is not my first choice as color but I thought it would be a good compromise since its in the near colorless range I know it says it may show a faint of yellow which I'm not too crazy about but some people tell me that I won't be able to see it unless next to G or H stone. I looked at some other stones with same criteria just better color and the price was considerably more. And that's where I stand maybe I should be looking with diff criteria maybe a lower clarity or cut and better color is the right choice? I don't know. Local jeweler prices were more for similar stones and the few sites I checked on line they were also more than BN.

Please advice if you think I should change some of the things I'm concentrating too much in,like cut and clarity.

Thank you again for responding and I apologize if I'm not making any sense.

I would seriously consider VS2 and possibly SI1. When you're shopping, make sure you're looking at GIA graded stones by the way. The jeweler telling you that a stone is probably SI is not a good way to callibrate your eyes. Get a well cut, GIA graded, 1ct+ SI1 and take a look. Then do the same with an SI2 and a VS2 and see if you can tell the difference.

Most local stores do cost more than BN for a variety of reasons including some pretty good ones. It's up to you to decide if the value they bring to the table is worth it. As I mentioned in the last post, trust is a big deal in this business and if the one you trust is BN, go with BN.

Given your worry about color, I would not go below I and I would consider moving up to H.

I agree that GIAxxx is a good benchmark for cutting. You might compromise on polish down to VG to save a few percent but I would stay in 'excellent' for cutting.

You're right, there's a huge price bump as you hit 2 carats. That'll either kill your budget or require SERIOUS compromises elsewhere. 1.8x is a good place to land.

The big players in the Internet diamond business are pretty price competitive with one another and, in general, BN is towards the high end of the pack. As with the local guys, they have some things they bring to the table that make them worth considering but they're rarely the rock bottom in terms of prices.

Thank you Denver appraiser!

I been looking to different stones and following your advice here is what I found,please let me know what you think and do you think this is a better value than the other stone I asked about in the earlier post.

THIS IS A ROUND BRILLIANT STONE,1.72ct,IDEAL CUT,G COLOR,SI1CLARITY,POLISH AND SYM ARE EXCELLENT WITH NO FLUORESCENE.TABLE IS 56 AND DEPTH IS 62.4.

This stone is about $200 more than the other one and I went from VS1 to SI1 and from 1.80ct to 1.72.

Do you think SI1 will be ok or should I stay at VS2

Thank you

Couple of points: GIA does not use "Ideal" anywhere on its reports, so you need to be a bit careful about who is meaning what with the term... Secondly, table and depth are relatively meaningless to assess cut - a cut grade by GIA or AGS is far better, but if you don't have that, crown and pavilion angles are second best.

Most SI1 are eye-clean, but it's impossible to say whether that one is without seeing it. Have you asked the vendor, if you cannot see it in person prior to shipment.

Thank you David!

I apologize this is a GIA cert,and it is of excellent cut.

The previous stone was a 1.80ct,VS1,I color and also of excellent cut by GIA

Not sure what to do still diff people are telling me diff things as far as color some tell me that I won't be able to see any yellow and some are telling me that you can definitely see some color so I compromise on clarity as I mentioned earlier to Denver appraiser.just not quite sure if I should go with a SI1 or should I keep clarity at VS2 or better

Turn off your computer and go look at some real diamonds, in person. Live. The question about what you can see and what you can't will become easy. You need to callibrate your eyes and words and pictures online just aren't a substitute. If the question is 'what can you see?', the answer is 'go look'. It's free and salespeople don't bite even if they can be a bit pushy from time to time. Deal with it.

Edited by denverappraiser

I colors can look nice in person, but depends on if you are sensitive to color or not. I had a client the other day tell me he didn't like the I color, so he looked and compared it to a G. In person he couldn't really tell. A lady walked by and he asked her unbiased opinion. She said out of the blue, I like the E color one and pointed at the one that was an I color. :) Also seen some great hearts and arrows ideal cut diamonds in your range that are really nice.

I don't think Blue Nile has an upgrade policy in the future....