Nervous About Purchase.

mrh

Hi All,

I purchased a diamond from blue nile to be placed in an engagement ring setting, I realize that purchasing a diamond without seeing it first is probably not the best idea, but the 30 return policy and upgrade policy re-assured me. I needed the diamond sooner rather than later, so I needed to decide rather hastily.

Here's the GIA report for the diamond that I purchased: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5141498077&weight=1.22.

The primary red flag for me is the "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown." language... I still want the diamond to "pop" when I propose... Is it possible that the "clouds not shown" could greatly affect the brilliance of the diamond? I was under the impression that cut was the primary factor that determines a diamond's ability to refract light. The strong blue fluorescence is less of an issue for me, as I know that she likes a slightly blue shine in sunlight.

I don't want a diamond that is going to look extremely dull or milky.

Thanks for any input that you have!

Edited by mrh

There's no way to judge whether a diamond faces up cloudy/milky without seeing it. You'll be in a postion to assess it when you receive the ring.

'Materially affects the beauty or durability of the stone' is part of the standard for I-1. They gave it SI-2, which is one grade higher. That may be a borderline call but they DID call it SI2, so now we're talking about what is 'material' and what isn't. They thought it wasn't, but you'll have the opportunity to take a look in a few days and see for yourself. Don't stress about it. BN has a very agreeable return policy and if you decide you don't like it, send it back.

• 2 weeks later...

It's too late now, but you could have asked them to send you a picture of the diamond. That would probably have helped put you at ease. As Neil and Barry said, you'll see it soon enough and BN has a generous return policy.

The internet is a great tool for buying diamonds but if you are not a gemologist, short of seeing the stone in person, a picture can work wonders in seeing what you are buying. It still surprises me that many websites do not offer a picture of the diamond they are selling. If more people insist, it might become more common.

It's too late now, but you could have asked them to send you a picture of the diamond. That would probably have helped put you at ease. As Neil and Barry said, you'll see it soon enough and BN has a generous return policy.

The internet is a great tool for buying diamonds but if you are not a gemologist, short of seeing the stone in person, a picture can work wonders in seeing what you are buying. It still surprises me that many websites do not offer a picture of the diamond they are selling. If more people insist, it might become more common.

I don't believe BN will provide pictures. They are a drop shipper and don't have diamonds in house.