Is This $3000 0.80 Ideal Princess Cut From Ja A Good Deal?

Popcorn

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1499778.asp?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x"]'>http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1499778.asp?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x"]http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1499778.asp?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x

I've been looking for an engagement ring for my girlfriend recently and settled on either a brilliant or princess cut however what was more important was the size. My girlfriend quite enjoys the effect of a larger diamond (larger than 0.50 anyway) and so I knew that buying it in a brick and mortar shop I was unlikely to find something of larger dimensions within my price range.

After doing a little research online I came across truthaboutdiamonds.com and JamesAllen.com. I'm aware of the affiliate marketing scheme but I didn't want to disqualify them purely for that, especially when i could use some help. Having asked for a bit of advice the diamond linked above was recommended.

I was delighted to see that it was even bigger than 0.70 carats but I was a little cautious about buying it without the picture. However my contact emphasized that it was a good deal and liable to be pounced upon relatively quickly. His manner was friendly and he answered all of my questions promptly and in good humour but I wanted a couple more opinions so that I could approach my first experience of buying diamonds online in confidence.

If you would be kind enough to give me your own read on this diamond and price I would be really appreciative. Thank you for your time!

Edited by Popcorn

If you look at comparable diamonds on competitive sites (for example using the Diamond Finder here), you will see that this diamond is right at the top of competitive prices, but still within the ballpark.

The issue with princess cuts - the issue with non-rounds, actually - is that there is no cut grade provided by GIA, and the amount of information provided on the report is totally inadequate to even guess at whether the stone is cut nicely. There are no red flags in the report info; in fact it's nice to see a medium girdle on a perfectly square princess cut, but understanding whether it really is a nice stone would take direct observation. You have 60 days in which to make up your mind and - if you enjoy challenges - trying to find a better one...

Honestly, the JA pictures are pretty good for judging clarity (which is irrelevant here, since it's a VS1), but not much else. This said, better than nothing; I think you stand to gain more if you have a chat even on the phone with someone that holds the diamond in hand and can tell you about it.

Erm, no. JA has no more information than you or I, and if you can extract from them how they evaluate cut you are a better detective than I. Bear in mind that many of the larger internet diamond retailers never have the diamonds in hand - and practically all don't have them in hand until a potential client asks them for a specific stone.

The GIA doesn't give princess cut diamonds the ideal cut. There are some ideal cut princess cut diamonds out there but they have an AGS lab report. We have had lots of those.

If you want a GIA stone,I did see this one. GIA $3000 but it is very well cut VS1 F .85 ct.

http://www.dbof.com/...ss-85-ct-vs1-f/

http://www.gemex.com/livereport/partnerlink.php?linkid=1&cid=11&viewid=1&popup=y&pid=db85vs1f2438

post-10-0-84136200-1340138898_thumb.jpg

Edited by jan

Erm, no. JA has no more information than you or I, and if you can extract from them how they evaluate cut you are a better detective than I. Bear in mind that many of the larger internet diamond retailers never have the diamonds in hand - and practically all don't have them in hand until a potential client asks them for a specific stone.

The guy I spoke to from support said they inspected the stones and gave them an evaluation.

The guy I spoke to from support said they inspected the stones and gave them an evaluation.

Well, one of two applies: either you trust them or you don't. If you trust someone unknown at a dealer to evaluate fairly, impartially and consistently cut by way of a visual inspection, then why are you asking the same question on a forum where no-one can perform such an evaluation?

To give you an idea of what I mean by "evaluating cut", here is an AGS paper on the subject - princess cuts are referred to (unfortunately not in great detail) in section 9: http://agslab.com/spie/spie_lo_res.pdf

The photo shows a nice stone, as far as one can tell from one single photo taken for a different purpose. It seems to have a nice crown height and pleasing table proportions. Now, here's another "visual inspection" from someone that has (a lot) less information than those that have handled the diamond... so why should you trust this?

Edited by davidelevi

Well I'm just getting second opinions. In fact it seems you were right about them not directly inspecting the stone. They were just extrapolating from the GIA report the quality of the cut. Having said that, I asked and now they will have a gemologist do a hands on inspection paying particular attention to the cut, leakage and brilliance. So thank you for your help so far!

The issue with relying on the GIA report for cut "grading" is that it does not contain the information that is critical. Which is why I am highly sceptical of claims by large scale brokers about cut grading on non-rounds. JA's offer of having someone experienced to look at it is the next best option - and with a 60 days return period they have limited interest in not being honest. I hope the diamond turns out to be everything you expect and more. Good luck!

It's not possible for your original stone to get an AGS ideal cut. It would have to have excellent polish and excellent symmetry to get it if it were sent to AGS. You can ask your dealer to send it to AGS as well to ease your mind, but I doubt they will as they also think it will not get an ideal cut grade.