Question About The Relative Value Of This Stone And A Few Quick ?'s

brett111845

First off thanks to anyone and everyone who responds to this post. I, much like others at this forum, am buying a stone for an engagement ring and want to make sure I'm getting a good deal and more importantly not getting ripped off! Can someone who has experience help in answering a few of my questions?

1. Can you tell me if this stone is a good value?

Its a loose, round brilliant GIA-certified 1.21 carat, H color grade, VS2 Clarity Grade, Excellent cut grade stone. Excellent Polish and Excellent Symmetry as well as no flourescence. Ranks as a 1.2 on the HCA scale. GIA certificate shows only a small internal flaw or two but I'm not sure how true to life the GIA cert is compared to what is actually in the stone. All-in it'll cost me ~$8,550.

2. Is there a website where I can enter a specific GIA # to see which dealer is offering it at the best price? I put the GIA Cert # into Google and found a few other places offering the stone and B2C seemed to be the best.

3. Is there any negotiation at all with B2C even though I see that they are offering it at the best price? I know the margins in the bluenile.com biz model are thin however that doesn't mean they don't have the ability to negotiate, especially since they're just brokering the stones.

4. How reputable is B2C? In reading a few other posts they seem to be one of the better dealers out there.

5. Lastly, B2C says that with each stone purchase they give you an "Independant Appraisal Report". Is that legit or no?

Sorry for all the questions but just want to make sure I cross my T's and dot my I's before spending all this dough! Thanks again for your time... it certainly is appreciated!

Thanks,

Brett

I'll start at the bottom. By 'independent', they mean that the author of the report is a contractor, not an employee of the company. I'll let you decide if that difference is important to you.

That said, B2C seems to be a reputable outfit.

There are lots of places dealers advertise but the biggest two are this one and the guys with the HCA. Look up stones in the database with a narrow range and then sort that range using a 4th parameter, like table size. That should group the offerings for the same stone together and make the prices easy to compare.

It never hurts to ask, especially if you find the same stone offered elsewhere for less.

Edited by denverappraiser

Hey Denver,

Thanks for your response. I think that an independant report is far and away more valuable than one provided by the company itself for obvious reasons. Good call.

As far as searching for better diamonds that is a good idea to plug in a few extra metrics about the stone to really get an apples to apples comparison.

Just curious on your opinion of the stone too. Do you think that is a good deal or am I overpaying?

Thanks again for all your help,

Brett

That search approach wasn't so much about finding a 'better' diamond, it's a way of finding people who are offering the same diamond.

Hopefully I've told you enough in the various posts in this forum that you can shop the price yourself given the data you have available and tools at your disposal, like the database here. If you haven't read through the other discussions, take some time and do so. Teach a man to fish .....

In practice, I don't comment on pricing of stones I haven't seen and for which I haven't had the opportunity to pin down with the client exactly what market we're discussing and what issues are important.

I did want to make one more comment though. The plotting diagram on a GIA report is not an illustration of the inclusions. It's a map. It's a mistake to use this as a way of deciding what's big and whats small based on the amount of ink used.

Edited by denverappraiser

Something doesn't quite register here... the price is at the bottom of comparable stones for colour/clarity/size. Which is generally an indication that something is amiss: either the cut is not all that it is cracked up to be, or the inclusion is visible under some circumstances, or "this stone is unfortunately no longer available, however you may be interested in this other one"... It may be that you have found a bargain, but I'm cautious.

Can you post the GIA report number, or a scan of the report?

Well, you're looking at two adjacent feathers near the surface of the stone. If it were only one small feather, not near the surface or near the girdle edge, you'd likely be fine. But in your case the durability of this stone might be questionable. Where are you buying this stone? Can you have it examined by an appraiser of your choice?

As far as I can tell from the reports, both are fine. Which does not rule out that there is "something else", but it makes it worthwhile looking at the stone(s). I agree with EncoreDT (and Neil) that talking with an expert of your choice is a useful thing; I don't agree with him that a VS2 graded inclusion (which may or may not be near the surface, other than at the girdle) is a durability risk.