Is This Is A Good Diamond?

aminoacid777

I am seriously thinking about buying this diamond for an engagement ring. Just wanted to get some expert opinions.

http://www.uniondiamond.com/control/showDiamondDetails?productId=AE0344362

Also, how can you tell if the diamond will be more square or more rectangular in shape? My girlfriend's fingers are very small, so I don't want to get anything too long or a diamond that sits too high. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

p.s. EGL certificate is attached, supposedly its EGL Hong Kong? Are they reputable?

post-130677-0-19238000-1339172168_thumb.jpg

The first two measurements listed are the length and width of the stone. Divide the first by the second and you'll have your l/w ratio.

I would not rely on ANY EGL generated documents in a purchase decision other than as evidence that it's a natural diamond, the weight and overall dimensions, and the statement that it was untreated as of the date of inspection. I would specifically not rely on them for color, clarity, or cut grading.

1. It is not what I would call a "small" diamond, at nearly 7 mm length (6.89 x 5.44). A lot of the appearance depends on how you are going to set it, too.

2. Beware of the small note saying "clarity enhanced". It is not a "small" note, and the treatment is not mentioned ANYWHERE on the product details page. Frankly this is disappointing.

One additional comment to Neil's post above: I would not trust any EGL statement as to lack of treatment either - there have been cases of HPHT treatment not detected by EGL labs but revealed by further testing at GIA.

Eeek, I didn't see the *clarity enhanced comment. EGL-USA doesn't issue reports on these any more and I didn't look all that carefully at the scan. I don't know much about the HK lab but EGL-USA I would trust to correctly identify both HPHT's and synthetics. EGL-Canada has actually been one of the leading research labs in the world on this topic.

I agree solidly with Davide above. 'Clarity enhanced' is a deal killer unless this has been specifically discussed with you by the dealer and you fully understand what it means. It's a BIG deal. A tiny asterisk at the bottom of the grading report is NOT sufficient.

My opinion of Union just dropped a bit but, overall, they're a pretty credible outfit. I wonder if they even know this is in their catalog.

Did you find it in the database here?

Edited by denverappraiser

Thank you all for your expert advice, I knew this deal was a little too good to be true. I didn't even pay attention to the clarity enhanced. I am so glad I asked you guys first. I actually found this diamond on the Union website database.

I don't think I can afford a GIA certified diamond, my budget is about 3500 but I'll keep looking around. I think I am also going to avoid anything associated with EGL Hong Kong.

Thanks again

Amino,

The diamond that you had inquired about was promptly removed from the Union Diamond database once the notation on the certification was brought to our attention. We are diligent in assuring that there are no diamonds listed on our website that contain enhancements such as this and we back that up with a $50,000 security bond protecting our customers. The supplier that this particular diamond was from is well aware that we only sell natural diamonds, however they allowed this one, unfortunately, to slip through in the latest certification download, which is why we've removed all of their inventory from our website as of today. Again, I thank you, Neil and those who posted above for the feedback which was brought to our attention immediately, and assure you that we will do everything in our power to prevent this from ever happening again.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any further questions. My email is Barbara@UnionDiamond.com or you can call our offices at 800.319.9155.

Best to you,

Barbara Palumbo

Union Diamond

One other thing I failed to mention but would like to add is that the situation above is one of the main reasons that we do not ever drop ship merchandise to our customers. Every diamond that is not already in our Atlanta office is shipped in and verified by three sets of eyes, including those of GIA graduates. Had something like this come through, we would have reversed the transaction immediately and notified the customer.

Again, please don't hesistate to contact us with any questions whatsoever.

Barbara Palumbo

Union Diamond

Thank you all for your expert advice, I knew this deal was a little too good to be true. I didn't even pay attention to the clarity enhanced. I am so glad I asked you guys first. I actually found this diamond on the Union website database.

I don't think I can afford a GIA certified diamond, my budget is about 3500 but I'll keep looking around. I think I am also going to avoid anything associated with EGL Hong Kong.

Thanks again

I'm glad that Union Diamond has stepped up and clarified the situation.

On the GIA "affordability" issue, bear in mind that GIA graded diamonds aren't "more expensive" than other diamonds with the same colour, clarity, cut etc. - GIA's fees are relatively modest (published here: www.gia.edu/lab-reports-services/fees_payment/lab_fees/Lab-Fee-Schedule-Diamond-US.pdf) and they will grade any diamond regardless of "quality" as long as it has been treated in a way that GIA recognises as permanent (so, not some types of clarity enhancement).

What you cannot afford for $3500 is a well cut, 1.20 radiant G/VS2 bought retail from a reputable dealer. This is out of the question. However, a 1 carat eye-clean H/SI is within reach, and so is a light yellow VS (which can be made to look decidedly yellow) like this 1.20 W-X/VS1.

r4019b.jpg