Hi I'm New And Need Help With The Vs2 Versus Si1 Debate On Engagement...

newdiamondfan

Depending on funds I'm looking at these options. Prices are average of what I've found for the diamond...This will be set in an engagement ring, 4 prong style solitaire 14k white gold...

My concern: will there REALLY be that much of a difference to naked eye on VS2 vs SI1? Because I can get better cut/color by going SI1.

VS2 category:

0.5 carat, VS2, Excellent cut, Excellent polish, Excellent symmetry, F clarity, $1,800 (b2c)

0.70 carat, VS2, Excellent cut, Excellent polish, Excellent symmetry, I clarity, $2,300 (b2c)

0.75 carat, VS2, very good cut, good polish, good symmetry, I clarity, $2,400 (b2c)

OR

SI1 category:

0.7 carat SI1, Excellent cut, Excellent polish, Excellent symmetry, H clarity ($2,400)

0.5 carat, SI1, Excellent cut, Excellent polish, Excellent symmetry, F clarity ($1,600)

0.7 carat SI1, Very good cut, Excellent polish, Excellent symmetry, G clarity ($2,300)

So difficult for me to decide. If you could help with a choice from both categories that would be great, depending on how much money I will have at the time.

Thank you pros!

Correctly graded you will see no visible difference between a VS2 and an SI1.

You won't see the difference between a 0.70 and a 0.75.

Most people will see no difference between an F and an H.

Start at a jewelry store. Look at real stones, not certificates and reviews. See for yourself where you start to spot differences. Don't even worry all that much about the prices. Leave the credit card at home. This is an educational trip. Even if you find THE ONE, it'll still be there tomorrow and you can always go back. If the salespeople tell you something you don't understand or that doesn't quite jive with what you've learned, come back and ask us about it.

Denverappraiser,

Thats somewhat what I concluded about the VS2 and SI1 differences when I did in fact go in this past week to the stores (i simply utilized them to get a phyiscal look at the carat weight comparisions of .5 to .7) and they seemed to say the same thing.

I remain confused about the color issue as to how much it plays (ie: will "i" color look like "F" to the untrained eye or should I stay at "H" as it is closest to "F" as in unable to really see a difference) as well as is there that big of a difference in GIA rated cut between "Excellent" and "Very good"?

My goal is to buy online the most I can get for my budget of around $2,000-$2,500 (this includes setting, which I've found for around $200 14k white gold 2mm 4 prong solitare tiffany style).

Hope to hear back. Thank you!

Perception of colour is dependent on many factors. Main ones in no particular order:

1. Your visual chromatic sense. Some people can discriminate minute differences in colour, others cannot (women are generally better/more accurate than men, btw).

2. The lighting. In yellow lighting, a D will look yellow, but an M will look no yellower.

3. The angle of observation and the background

4. Whether the stone is set or loose, and how it is set

5, The stone size. It will be easier (some times a lot easier) to see colour in a large stone than a small one

6. Particularly if looking through the front, the cut. Which is why D-Z diamonds are graded through the side.

7. Fluorescence (tied up with lighting)

Add to this that each colour grade is a range: you are more likely to see the difference between an I-almost -J and an F-almost-E than between an I-almost-H and an F-almost-G.

Pretty much the same applies to cut, with the added complication that "cut" is not about one attribute only, but a minimum of 3 (and GIA/AGS throw in a 4th one): brilliance, sparkle and fire, plus the added "inconvenience" of apparent size for weight and the fact that GIA cut grade ranges are much broader in variability than colour ones. Your (her) personal preferences will play a significant role on what you prefer in the end; I like some VG much better than certain EX; some VG much less (and frankly would not call them "very" never mind "good").

Difference in mm size is a tricky thing. Your eyes can't tell 1/100 of a mm. You probably can't tell 1/10 of a mm. My mother, bless her heart, can't tell 1 mm. You simply have to draw a line. It's like deciding which raindrop is the one that makes a drizzle into a storm. It's not something to stress out over but yes, there's a difference.

It's worth noting that there is usually a significant price bump at 0.69 - 0.70 and the next one is at 0.89-0.90. That's why there are so many 0.70s on the market and so few 0.69's and why so many of the 0.70's are crappy cuts.

Edited by denverappraiser