New And Looking For Advice On Princess Cuts

yyz2012

Hi everybody, new to the board, and have been reading lots. It's that time and I've started looking online... my budget isn't very high and I think I've found a platinum solitaire setting that looks quite nice. With my budget, a diamond of about $1500-$1600 (or lower! :P ) is what I can afford for the setting. I've read and read but things seem to go in one ear and out the next, please help!

I am looking for a Princess Cut, anything that is above VS1/VS2 and anything above H or I?

I found a couple 0.5ct H VS2 AGS0 Princesses and I have included the ASET and IS images. Which one of these would you prefer? Are there better ones out there? I'm defering to the board's expertise!

Thank you in advance for any help or insight anybody can provide! Suggestions on diamonds also greatly appreciated!

Diamond 1

post-130627-0-77494300-1337978704_thumb.jpg

post-130627-0-57075500-1337978706_thumb.jpg

Diamond 2

post-130627-0-48855300-1337978708_thumb.jpg

post-130627-0-24612900-1337978711_thumb.jpg

Thanks again!

The greater symmetry of #1 appeals more to me, while #2 is possibly a little brighter on the edges, but they are both nicely cut as far as one can tell from the ASET/IS.

Are there better ones? It depends on what you mean by "better". For many people, a 1.00 piece of glass is better because it's larger. I think you'd struggle to find something that is cut much better.

Why do you want to go above VS2? It's going to be eye clean anyway, and all you are paying for is the rarity of a VVS or IF.

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I meant at or above, but to get the most bang for the buck, thinking back, I guess it would have to be VS2! :D

Would it help if I sent you links to the AGS certs? (If you don't mind and have a little bit of extra time?)

The first one looks more appealing to me as well and I would expect it to disperse light a little better than the second one. I would still recommend that you personally inspect the diamond with a magnifying glass, rather than relying solely upon its rating. Technically speaking, colors D-J are considered "undetectable to the human eye" and I would not expect to notice any major imperfections on a 0.5ct PC VS1/VS2 diamond. But ratings alone are not always 100% reliable so you have to inspect.

Are there better ones? Absolutely. But when you go from VS2 to VS1 and/or from H to G, I doubt that you will notice a difference. The cut is far more important...

Edited by Encore DT

Thanks for the quick response!

I guess I meant at or above, but to get the most bang for the buck, thinking back, I guess it would have to be VS2! :D

Would it help if I sent you links to the AGS certs? (If you don't mind and have a little bit of extra time?)

I don't mind at all - but it's past midnight in my time zone, so you'll get any reply tomorrow...

Also, I don't know to what extent the reports are really going to help you decide - you have more info on cut through the ASET images, since you know that they are both AGS-ideal and H/VS2.