New Here, Found A Diamond, Need Advice.

sr8jays93

I was offered a diamond and i really need quick advice.....

here are the details

Round Cut

1.32 carats

D color

SI2 Clarity

Excellent symmetry

6.93X7.32X4.30mm (measurements)

Cirt from IGL (international gemological laboratory)

I can get this diamond for $1950

Is this a good deal? The guy needs an answer by tomorrow.......

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance......

Probably not.

The problem here is that the specs don't match the price. SOMETHING is wonky on this deal, whatever it is is not on your list, and you absolutely must figure out whats the deal. Is this a dealer? Where are you? Have you seen the stone? Do you have the opportunity to get it checked out by YOUR expert? What are the payment and delivery terms?

Probably not.

The problem here is that the specs don't match the price. SOMETHING is wonky on this deal, whatever it is is not on your list, and you absolutely must figure out whats the deal. Is this a dealer? Where are you? Have you seen the stone? Do you have the opportunity to get it checked out by YOUR expert? What are the payment and delivery terms?

It is a ebay auction, and i will pay with pay pal so if I am not happy i can get a full refund! Im in New York and I have not seen the stone.....

Let's put it this way: there is no scarcity of diamonds of "similar" characteristics, and the database on this site (Diamond Finder link at the top of the page) lists about 300 1.2 - 1.4 round D/SI2.

The issue is that prices here start at $3300 and go to $11500. That's already a huge range, and where a diamond falls on it depends essentially on three things:

1. What colour and clarity it really is. GIA grading it D/SI2 is one thing; EGL or IGL quite another. The diamond is what it is, but anyone is free to call it what they like...

2. How visible are the inclusions. Even if it is graded correctly as an SI2, there is a wide margin of variability and there is no standard for "eye-clean" that everybody agrees to. If the vendor says it is eye-clean, how did he test it? At what distance? What angle of observation? What lighting?

3. How well cut it is. And you have zippo information on that other than it's fairly spready and fairly out-of-round (more than 5%, and thus I think GIA would call it an oval).

I would be quite wary of relying on PayPal for any redress. They will support you IF the item has been incorrectly described, but not otherwise (and even then, there's a lot to say on the quality of their support).

Edit: fixed grammar

Edited by davidelevi

I just checked out the eBay ad. Everything is quite clear now: the stone is clarity enhanced. This per se is nothing wrong, and it is relatively prominently disclosed. The diamond is listed both under "enhanced natural" and "natural" diamonds. However, in addition to the points I made above, there are significant issues that you should be aware of before you close the deal: search the forum for "clarity enhanced" and read through.

Edited by davidelevi

I just checked out the eBay ad. Everything is quite clear now: the stone is clarity enhanced. This per se is nothing wrong, and it is relatively prominently disclosed. The diamond is listed both under "enhanced natural" and "natural" diamonds. However, in addition to the points I made above, there are significant issues that you should be aware of before you close the deal: search the forum for "clarity enhanced" and read through.

Thank you for the information....

What would you do? Is it a good price?

I would pass. For me clarity enhancement (glass filling) is a no-no. There are plenty of people that have a CE diamond and are happy.

As to whether it is a good price - I don't know. It really depends on the 3 points above (true colour/clarity; visibility of inclusions; cut quality), and you have no information on any of those, other than the suspicion that the cut quality is not all that it is claimed. I took a quick peek at the video, and based on that I can tell you that is NOT likely to be a D, but even that is a guess and would require detailed first-hand observation to confirm.

Here's a video of a (GIA) D. It's a cushion, not a round, but you will notice that there is a significant difference in colour. Now, it could be the lighting (the video below is shot in natural light), but...

If you know what you are looking for, yes, fairly easily. Once set, if the enhancement has been done properly, it becomes more difficult without a loupe. To casual observation ("Oh my God, what a nice diamond! Are you engaged?" says auntie Jemima) it is not apparent.

How long is a piece of string?

Bear in mind that - other than for the cost of CE treatment, which is fairly low - the value of the stone is dictated by what it is and looks like without an enhancement. The problem is that neither of us has any idea what that is, because neither of us has seen the diamond, and the so-called "certificate" is not worth the paper it's printed on (recycling is not free). Even what is on the report re: cut is not super-promising: medium culet, eccentric cut.

The vendor holds all the cards - other than a promise to refund your money within 14 days if you don't like it. If you are really so keen on this stone (but why? there's thousands of others that are far less risky than a bottom-dredging deal like this one), make sure you get the return policy confirmed in writing, pay using a credit card and invest $100 or so in getting an independent, skilled appraiser to vet the diamond for you as soon as possible.

BTW: we are not talking "little lower grade". We are talking I-J/I1 borderline I2. This is why it has been clarity enhanced.

Edited by davidelevi

Good luck in the hunting. And do come back if you have more questions.

One suggestion, if I may: before you start looking for diamonds, select your dealer. Call a few people, talk to them in as general terms as you can (it should not be about "so, how much you have to spend"), and see who you can get on with, who is helpful and who is knowledgeable, who has a service orientation and who has good policies on inspections, returns and exchanges. Then pick a couple of firms that you like and get them to help you.