Just Bought A Diamond With Ags Certificate Back To 2010

stan.ackman

I just bought a diamond from Blue Nile with AGSL certificate that was dated February 2010. Is it odd? I notice most other diamond BN is selling now are with certificates dated in 2012. So, it is a relatively old diamond. Is that possible BN sold me a used diamond? Please help me how I should deal with it.

It is possible that the diamond has been in stock for a couple of years, as it is possible that it has been traded in - unless you can follow all the steps, there is no way of telling: diamonds don't age or wear if treated properly.

On the other hand, if the stone has been around a few hands (whether owners or dealers), it is possible that it has been damaged or chipped - have an expert check it out before your return period is over. Otherwise, nothing to worry about!

David, thank you for your reply. I now feel it is a diamond that has been just traded in because the diamond was not in Blue Nile's diamond list until the day I bought it. I will certainly try to ask an expert to check it.

Meanwhile, my question is whether it is legitimate for Blue Nile to sell used diamonds in their build your own rings along with other relatively new diamonds. It seems there is no where they said they only sell new diamonds.

Blue Nile is welcome to sell whatever they want. There is no test for the age of diamonds and there's no way to identify the path from mine to the finger by looking at the stone. I don't think BN takes trade ins although it's possible that they're buying from a supplier who does. If it's important to you, buy from a dealer who knows a bit more about their suppliers and make sure they know this is one of your criteria. It doesn't still doesn't guarantee that it hasn't been in circulation for years or even decades but usually they can tell you. In the case of BN, if you stick with their 'signature' line, I think those are all produced directly for them and are using recently mined material.

The one I mentioned is from BN's signature ideal cut line. The date of AGSL report is February 2010. This is probably the oldest inventory I found in BN's website for a signature diamond. I do see couple of early 2011 ones.

Another wield thing is the inscription code of the diamond in the GCAL report does not have "AGSL" included with the 14 digit number, but the 14 digit number matches the number on the AGSL certificate. Also, because of the lack of "AGSL" in the inscription, GCAL falsely said" GCAL has examine this diamond (Diamond Grading Report number GIA xxxxxxxxx)". Is it an acceptable mistake on GCAL end? I guess without "AGSL" along with the ID number GCAL falsely thought it was a GIA certified diamond. But what confused me is that the 14 digit number starting with "0104" seems a AGS unique serial number. So, I feel GCAL should not make that mistake.

I suspect GCAL will issue a corrected report if you decide to buy that one and you ask. They're pretty agreeable people.

2 years is pretty old stock for that line but it's not out of the question. That could explain why it's a little bit less expensive than otherwise similar stones in that line.

I think it's highly unlikely to be a tradein from someone else.