Need Help Picking Between Emerald Cuts

trooms8

Hi, I'm picking out an engagement ring, but outside of the 4 C's, I'm not too knowledgeable on how important other factors are. Mainly girdle thickness, cutlet, depth %, etc. Below are the two diamonds I'm considering:

Price:

$5,405

Bank wire price:

$5,324

Price per carat:

$5,875

Carat weight:

Cut:

Very Good

Color:

F

Clarity:

IF

Depth %:

64.1%

Table %:

68%

Polish:

Very Good

Symmetry:

Very Good

Girdle:

Medium to Slightly Thick

Culet:

Small

Fluorescence:

None

Measurements:

6.88 x 4.86 x 3.11 mm

Length/width ratio:

Price:

$4,576

Bank wire price:

$4,508

Price per carat:

$4,920

Carat weight:

Cut:

Very Good

Color:

F

Clarity:

IF

Depth %:

68.4%

Table %:

64%

Polish:

Excellent

Symmetry:

Very Good

Girdle:

Thick to Very Thick

Culet:

None

Fluorescence:

None

Measurements:

6.17 x 4.81 x 3.29 mm

Length/width ratio:

Will anyone be able to tell a difference between the two and I should just go with the lower priced diamond? Or is there something wrong with #2?

Thanks for any help!

0. I assume both are graded by GIA or AGS. If not, restart...

1. One "obvious" reason why the second one is cheaper is that it faces up smaller. It may or may not matter to you, and you may prefer the less elongated (but smaller) look anyway.

2. The other issue - assuming GIA grading - is that the cut grading comes from the vendor. If you trust the vendor, this may be OK, but at the very least you should ask them how they reached the conclusion on cut

3. There's a lot of other aspects that can only be addressed by seeing the stones or at least good quality photos. See here for a couple of similar threads on em cuts: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7957-ordered-this-emerald-cut-diamond-what-are-your-thoughts/

I'll be ruder than Barry...

BN cut grading is worse than useless. Worse because it leads people to believe that there is some magic formula that can be applied to the information on a GIA report to get a cut grade for a non-round-cut diamond. There isn't. Yet BN (and others) keep proposing it, and are not at all transparent about "how" they get the grade - because they know it's not a reliable method for grading.

There are plenty of "online" vendors that will get hold of the stones, take photos and give you comments based on visual observation - Blue Nile isn't one of them. Ask them for photos, and you will quickly realise that they don't have them and will not provide them; this is because of the way they operate (as a broker between you and their supplier, who has the stone and ships it to you). Jolly good in as much as it enables them to decrease cost and pass on some of that to you. Not good at all when you require more information on a stone than what is available on a GIA report, as you definitely do with a fancy cut.

If I may ask a question: why are you paying a 25-30% premium for an IF-clarity stone? Without a loupe, a VS2 will look the same (and once set you may have difficulty even with a loupe).

Edited by davidelevi

It is a good idea to get a higher clarity, but bear in mind that "VS" means Very Small inclusions under 10x magnification, never mind with the naked eye. IF - unless you want it for the symbolic meaning of flawless - is definitely overkill.

The problem with non-rounds is that there are many variables in the shape and cut quality and you have no information to make a decision. Your budget is plenty to get you a very nice looking stone.

My recommendation is for you to leave "the diamond" aside for a moment. Focus on finding a good dealer that is willing to take photos and help you to find the best stone. Then - and only then - ask them to start finding stones based on what you would find most attractive. Here is a post where some of the variables relevant to an EC's appearance are listed: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7925-emerald-cut-questions/page__p__36099#entry36099

I think Diamonds by Lauren has by far the best gallery of diamond photos on the internet - quite a few are emerald cut (browse the "rings" section as well as the loose stones, and don't forget the "sold" gallery). Even if you don't find exactly what you want, you can at least use the photos to start discussing with your chosen dealer (or with your significant other) "I'd like something like this one, but bigger/smaller/cheaper/whiter/whatever", and see what they can come up with.