Unbiased Opinion On 1.05Ct H Si1Radiant Cut Diamond?

Stevo955

Hello All!

I'm hoping to get an unbiased opinion on this diamond. I've been window shopping for a few months and I guess it's time to knuckle down and buy one! I'm looking for something that is near colorless and appears eye clean - with great fire of course. It has to be at least 5.5 x 5.5 mm to fit the setting I picked out. I've set my budeget at $4000 but under budget is always a good thing.

This diamond on paper is perfect. Fits all my requirements but I'm concerned about the number of inclusions. I know they're all small, but it's like somoene sprinkled crystals throughout the whole thing! I've asked for pictures but no one will cough one up so I'm left judging it by the GIA cert. It wouldn't let me attach a pdf so I had to take a couple screen shots so you could see.

I'm hoping that you all diamond experts can help me make a good decision whether to pull the trigger or keep looking.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

post-130410-0-90923000-1334256271_thumb.jpg

post-130410-0-99955700-1334256276_thumb.jpg

Near colourless - check (though with a radiant an H may show some colour in some circumstances).

Appears eye clean - perhaps. The fact that the grade setting inclusions may be feathers (it's tough to say, and the image you posted is way to small to even read the plot) is potentially good, but it is really impossible to say anything about clarity only by looking at a plot. The plot is provided to give people an aid to locate and identify the inclusions - and thus identify the diamond. Not to provide any indication about whether the inclusions are visible or bothersome.

Great fire - no way of telling. You have ZERO information on how the stone is cut: shape, faceting, angles, brilliance, brightness, contrast, fire are all unknown. The fact that no-one is coming up with a photo is likely to mean that whoever you have been talking to does not have the stone in hand.

My strong recommendation is to start to choose a dealer to work with that can provide you with the information you need - at the very least by having the diamond in hand. Then - and only then - begin the work of looking for a diamond. Bear in mind that most stones are available to many if not all dealers.

Alright, I went back and blew up the plot so you can see the inclusions a little more. Looks like we're dealing with crystals and feathers...not sure if that's good or bad.

Anyhow, as far as dealers go I've decided to go with an online dealer because they're a lot more budget friendly. All the reviews and suggestions I've gotten point to Union Diamond. The problem with these "shared inventories" is that no one carries a picture of these diamonds. I guess that leaves me with a bit of a gamble on what I'm getting.

I have seen a couples sites, ie James Allen, that has pictures of their inventory but it appears that there is a premium that comes with it.

Maybe I need reevaluate...any advice regarding online dealers? Union Diamond or something different?

Thanks again!

post-130410-0-84641900-1334286134_thumb.jpg

Thanks for enlarging the plot. The bad news is that what I thought was one large grade setting feather under the crown is a bunch of crystals. This is "bad news" only in as much as we really can't tell anything from the plot. The crystals may be other diamonds, in which case they are likely to be colourless and blend in, or they could be much more contrasting in colour (e.g. dark green diopside; reddish-brown garnet). Plus, particularly in a radiant, there is so much light bouncing around that an inclusion may be hidden OR reflected 16 times - no way of telling without seeing.

Online dealers: nothing wrong with Union Diamonds (which incidentally has a large brick & mortar store in the centre of Atlanta, GA) - but there are different types of online dealer. Quite a few will have their stock, call stones in from wholesaler, take photos or at the very least give you a detailed opinion on what they see. Some take pride in documenting each stone with good quality photographs and video, in owning the vast majority of their advertised stock and in having the rest physically on the premises (or on call within a short time). Others will base their strategy on large stock lists, quick delivery, no-fuss returns and broad ranges of "ready-to-go" jewellery. Others still will stride in the middle, offering some more services (e.g. images and report scans on all stones) but smaller stock lists...

One strategy isn't necessarily "more expensive" to the consumer than the other. In many cases prices are very similar or even to the advantage of the "higher service" dealer. For example - and I just pulled this out from the first page I had open on the Diamond Finder - here is the same diamond for sale at UD and JA. JA has a lower price (by $77 - about 1% of the sales price, which is not an inconsiderable chunk of margin), despite having the photo and a scan of the GIA report uploaded on their site.

http://www.diamondreview.com/clk.cgi?http://www.uniondiamond.com/AE0298318&ptc=DR

http://www.diamondreview.com/clk.cgi?http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=20&a=16&c=79&cid=131&item=1471429

So, my advice is for you to leave aside the setting (which hopefully you haven't bought already), leave aside the stone, and start looking for a dealer that can provide you with the value you need. Although a premium of $200 may seem a lot, it's much much less than getting a so-so stone for the rest of your life and it's comparable with the cost of shipping back a couple of diamonds that "don't work".