Si2/i Color 1.10 Round Brilliant Ex Cut Diamond

saero0119

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get general opinion about 1.10 Ct Round shape SI 2 Clarity with I Color.

Here is the more detail about the stone.

D: 62.8%

T:55%

Crown Angle:35.5

Pavillion Angle: 41

Excellent Cut,Very good polish and Florescence none.

This is GIA certified and I wasn't sure if I should have gone up to H and SI1 Clarity. Or is this too lower range of what's called "good quality" diamond?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

I would not call I/SI2/Excellent cut "poor quality" - but it really depends on the individual stone. There are D/VS2 that don't look very attractive, I once fell in love with an O-P IF and one of my (and my wife's) favourite stones is an I1.

Colour is a matter of personal preference. You may see a little body colour with an 'I' if observing the stone through the side against a white background and you have a very open setting, but not from the top - which is what matters.

Clarity is the big question here. It's not a given that an SI2 will look worse than an SI1 - for example the image below is an SI2 emerald cut that "in theory" should look pretty bad. This is an unretouched image at about 25x - bear in mind that diamonds are graded at 10x

r3185ab.jpg

and here is an SI1 at about 10x where the inclusions are much more visible (though they look like specks of dust, and are totally innocuous for the beauty of the stone)

r4448-dbl-antique-yellow-diamond.jpg

Edited by davidelevi

Thank you for your feedback. Here is GIA certification number 2131618020. When I looked at this stone and the SA told me this is center clean. With the loupe, I couldn't really tell if these inclusions are bad and seen in naked eye. Will I color show any yellow like the last picture of emerald? If inclusions are on the side and If I have 6 prongs would these be not seen? Lastly, I chose white gold settting with this stone. Should I have gone with platinum?

Thank you!

Have you seen the stone? This is the only valid test, I'm afraid. The plot doesn't really tell you much, other than what type of inclusion is located approximately where - no indication of 3D position, colour, reflectivity etc.

The second stone is a Y-Z - a LOT more yellow than an I; I was trying to show you things about clarity, not colour. Here is an I showing about as much colour as you can get it to:

r1963e.JPG

Covering inclusions with prongs may be possible, and it may be easier with a 4 or a 6 prong depending on the locations and extent of the inclusions - you really need to speak with the person who is going to set the stone.

Gold vs. platinum. For me, platinum wins every time, but there's nothing wrong with gold.

Edited by davidelevi

Yes, I have seen this stone. I went to the store and bought it. As far as inclusions, I couldn't see through loup. I always have a trouble finding inclusions when I look at diamond but as SA told me this should be center clean stone. Even with I color, I didnt want to go below H but a lot of SA told me I should not see any yellow in the stone with naked eye. I am afraid that I made a wrong choice here. I bought this stone with $6250. Do you think this is fair?

Sounds well within reason, but I haven't seen it, and the extent to which the inclusions are visible to a trained eye will have an impact on price.

Help me out - what's your concern here? You have seen the stone; it's eye clean for you, and it presumably looks good enough for you to have bought it (on paper it looks very nicely cut), including its colour or lack thereof. What makes you think you may have made a wrong choice?

So my concern is when I looked at the ring at a store, I felt like the stone wasn't shining enough but SA told me it really depends on the lighting too and also afraid that I will see yellow in this stone under natural light. I have another question for you I am sorry for so many questions. I set this stone with 14K WG, should I change to 18KG and my fiance got his wedding band in Palladium but I am not sure if we made wise choice. If i change my setting from WG to platinum, do I have to get wedding band in same material too?

Well - one key question is whether the stone is clean. It takes very little dirt on the pavilion to make a lot of the sparkle go away. The other key question is whether the stone is transparent enough - and there is no answer other than looking at it and comparing it to other stones.

I don't think you will see yellow in natural light, but why didn't you observe the stone in natural light when you were in the store? Or now?

On the setting: wearing two rings next to each other is a good recipe for ruining both - regardless of the metal they are made of. I know it's an American custom, but it's not a wise one. If you want to have good colour match, you should not only have the same main metal; you should try to have the same alloy.

Unless you have an allergy to some of the alloy components in the 14 K ring you have now, I don't see any point in replacing it with 18 K gold.

Thank you for your feed back. When I went there to buy diamond, it was cloudy day and wasn't able to get natural light in the store even when i walked to the window. But I might go back and check it out again to just make sure everything is fine. For palladium, what's your suggestion in guy's wedding band in palladium? Should I pay extra and change to platnum?