Ordered This Emerald Cut Diamond What Are Your Thoughts?

maude

I have been thinking of an EC for a couple of years and slowly looked. The other day we were at a jewelers and they had one that was SI (not sure if 1 or 2) and you could see the inclusion to the naked eye. What I did find was I loved the size of the stone. I was actually thinking would the inclusion really bother me. It did bother my husband. The measurements were 7x5. The store had the stones in for another customer and they showed them to me, perfect timing and no pressure.

Last night my husband ordered me a ring on bluenile.com. Hopefully we did ok picking out the stone.

They have a 30 day return.

Please give your thoughts about it.

Here it is -EMERALD CUT

Measurements: 7.01 x 4.94 x 3.40 mm

Carat Weight: 1.05 carat

Color Grade: F

Clarity Grade: VVS2

PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 68.9%

Table: 71%

Girdle: Thick to Very Thick

Culet: None

FINISH:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Very Good

Fluorescence: None

COMMENTS:

Internal graining is not shown.

BN is an ok vendor but I must say you've made a big swing from and eye visible SI2 to VVS2. That's 4 grades on an 11 grade scale plus whatever changes there are in color. That's on the order of double the price. Seems like possible overkill. Then again, I bet it's a lovely stone. Any idea how he picked that one?

I forgot to list the cost of this stone is $5971. (with the basic 4 prong platinum setting the total is $6501). The stone we were looking at in the jewelry store was SI E in color and VG for cut polish & symmetry and the cost was $4600. He was advised by a customer service rep on the phone from Blue Nile that based on the measurements in the colorless range that this stone was a good option. He was trying to achieve 3 thing - stone size of 7x5, no color to the eye when looking at it and no inclusions when looking at it. Do you think we could have achieved those three things and spent less?

Definitely yes. The lowest priced GIA em cut F/VVS2 7x5 (+/-0.2mm) I can find is $4300. It will fulfil those 3 criteria as well as the stone you picked. A G/VS2 will cost you $4000 or even less, and will still fulfil them. Does it matter?

Actually, the key to the way in which the stone will look is its cut - and neither Blue Nile nor GIA give you (or anyone else!) enough information to work this out. See here for a few photos and comments on a similar question - http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7925-emerald-cut-questions/

You have narrowed the range by specifying an aspect ratio - but the key questions around shape of the outline and cutting of crown and pavilion angles remain open until you see the stone. The fact that the one you picked is priced in the top 25% of similar weight/colour/clarity stones is a good sign for its cut quality, but whether you will like it is a different issue altogether. On the plus side, BN has a good return policy and you would only be out for shipping costs if you didn't like it - hopefully you will, and you have a comparison with a stone you liked in the local jewellery store.

Well - yes and no: I believe BN will refund you the whole amount on a standard, unaltered setting, so you aren't worse off, plus of course the true test of the stone is whether you like it once set, not loose. On the other hand, comparisons are easier when the stones are not set...

Thanks for your replies. I am getting the ring on Friday. I am looking further into pricing of other stones. It sounds like BN found a beautiful diamond with what we were looking for, but I believe we also could have found some less expensive options. I am going to look all all my options and then decide. If I could have got another stone that looks pretty much the same for $1500 to $2000 less then this is definately something I need to ponder. I am glad I am buying through a reputable dealer. I told my husband when we get it Friday I am analyzing not wearing it:). My anniversary is not until June 10th so this gives me plenty of time to checkout other diamonds (and also stay within my blue Nile 30 day return). Thank you again for educating me. When all is said and done I might still keep this ring but I won't wonder if I should have looked more.

To repeat - I sincerely hope you'll be blown away from how beautiful it looks, but the criteria you had for searching were not sufficient criteria to say "this will be beautiful" and "that won't be". Cut is king and needs to be seen - particularly in fancy shapes where you have next to no information on it on the lab report.

I got the ring and it is beautiful and the stone is so pretty it glows. I am not sure if this is the right one for me. I thought it would be a little wider looking. I called for some guidance. They told me to wear it for a week and see if it is just that I am used to a heart shape or that I really think it is too narrow for my liking. Now I understand how with FC they could look perfect on paper but you really need to see it in person. Also I did see a stone with these exact measurements that wasn't set and setting it definately changes the look. If this doesn't work I might look into increasing carat weight and giving up a little on color and clarity. I am at F VVS2. They said I could easily go to VS2 and H. They also said I can call them and they (blue Nile) could look at the stone and see where the inclusions if I do go lower on clarity.

Hearts are pretty wide; their advice is sound - give yourself some time and decide once you are used to the stone.

I would be a little cautious about trusting their word on clarity: as far as I know, they never see the stones, so they are reporting second-hand information from their supplier (who has the stone).

I got the ring Froday, so I have the stone. It came with the Gia cert. It looks to be the right stone. I cannot find the laser etched Gia number so I will have to maybe go to a jeweler to help me on that. I have a loupe and looked but cannot find it.. I am going to have my husband look for it frst. I really love the stone but I wish it was wider. When I look at wider they all seem to be a lot more money. Or the wider. In my price range are a lot shorter more like an asscher cut. It is beautiful and I may end up keeping it. I don't know who blue Nile got it from I don't see it on their paperwork.

Don't worry about the laser etching - it's pretty difficult to find on loose stones and a 30x loupe...

I'm not sure I follow when you say "I would like it to be wider but not shorter" - that to me means larger, which of course is going to cost more - a lot more if you go over 1.50 or 2.00 carats. If you want a wider stone in proportion, it will unavoidably become squarer.

The paperwork is as accurate as can be, but information on eye-cleanness of SI stones is not on the paperwork and cannot be gleaned from it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for you advice.  I ended up sending back the diamond I asked about and getting this one.

Carat weight:

Cut: Very Good

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

Depth %:

66.1%

Table %:

70%

Polish:

Very Good

Symmetry:

Very Good

Girdle:

Slightly Thick to Thick

Culet:

None

Fluorescence:

None

Measurements: 6.43 x 4.81 x 3.18 mm

Length/width ratio:

Cut: Very Good

Color: G

Clarity: VVS2

I am so much happier with this one. The ratio going from 1.43 to 1.34 is a little wider and what I was hoping for in the first stone.  

The first setting was a 4 prong platinum setting and changing to the 2.5 comfort fit setting also made a difference.  The first setting (in my opinion) cheapened the stone.  

Blue Nile was great to deal with and they credited my first purchase within 3 days.  I understand what was said about it being hard to buy a fancy cut online.  I thought I would try a second time and if this didn't work out I was thinking  I would have to buy in person.  

Thanks again so much!!!