Hi.. I Just Need Some Help In Picking My Diamond Please.. Thanks So Much..

jonas

ok.. so i have spent a month or so and i feel i really have educated myself alot on diamonds in those 30 days.... here is a diamond i like alot.. my question/concern is whether or not the "excellent" grade from gia, really is a hearts and arrow looking diamond...

this particular vendor is called b2c jewels.. they dont have signature ideals like blue nile, or true hearts like at james allen... the price is fair i think, i just.. well.. having never bought one of these before.. im just unsure of how the brilliance and fire is going to look... even though it says excellent..

here are the specs

i would love some feedback from the experts.. thanks so much..

here's to hoping she says yes!!!! lol :)

p.s. after numerous calls to this particular company and chatting with them, they cant tell me if its a true hearts and arrows ideal type of cut.. only that they stand behind gia and its "excellent" verbage...

Diamond Details

Carat Weight : Cut : Color : Clarity : Price($) : Lab Name : Certificate No : Depth : Table : Polish : Symmetry : Girdle : Culet : Fluorescence : Measurements : 0.69 Excellent F VVS1 3,618.83 GIA 6137208598 62.50 56.00 Excellent Excellent M None None 5.65x5.68x3.54

The GIA 'excellent' grade is a wide range. It's on the order of 50% of the stones submitted to the lab. It has nothing to do with hearts and arrows symmetry. As you've discovered, b2c is selling things that they don't actually have (which is why their prices are low) and this makes it hard to answer questions about stones. If their supplier didn't call it H&A, they can't add anything new, and if they DID call it that and you have questions about their usage of the phrase, they can't answer that either. In general, if they don't claim H&A, don't expect it. If they DO claim H&A, be sure understand what they mean by that because there are widely varying standards.

Is hearts and arrows something you're looking for? Is the perfection of the hearts an important topic for you for example?

By the way, h&a doesn't affect fire all and is only tangentially related to brilliance.

Edited by denverappraiser

ahhhh.. i see.. makes sense.. ok here is a better question then... if the gia excellent is such a wide range.. with 50% falling in it.. should i be concerned then that this diamond i am looking to buy might not have that fire and brilliance that i want??

I just want my diamond to really sparkle and i have tried my very best with my limited experience to find one that will.. thanks in advance for you time again...

and honestly, I dont know much about hearts and arrows... just that it seemed as if they were technically "the best diamonds out there" based on what i saw on the james allen website...

i hope this one that i like will end up being awesome when i buy it :):)

i guess my last question is.. should i get it or not???

thanks

jonas

Hearts and Arrows is a pattern in the symmetry of the stone that you see through a special viewer. I think it's fair to say that H&A stones are lovely. It’s not correct that they are the ONLY stones that are lovely. It’s extremely popular in the Asian markets and it sells for a noticeable premium there so a whole grading system has developed to separate the good ones from the not so good. Not-so-good get sold to Westerners at a discount and good ones get sold to Asians at a premium. For the most part, Americans are OK with this. More weight – lower price – nothing requiring a special viewing tool. If it’s not your hot button I wouldn’t recommend getting into it. If it is, well, dive in and learn what ‘hearts and arrows’ means and how they are graded. Actually, the Asians are ok with it too. They get a ‘more perfect’ diamond in an attribute that doesn’t cost a fortune to maximize, unlike ‘flawless’ clarity. Not everyone has to want the same things.

When GIA first came out with their cut grading system in 2006 it was deliberately made to be broad for reasons that include taste variations and kowtowing to the trade but, at the time, it was like 15% of the stones submitted. The cutters responded. They are using robots and computers and are cutting stones to the maximum possible weight that will still get that excellent grade and the price premium that goes along with it. Imagine a bullseye on a target called ‘GIA cut grade’. The bullseye (excellent) is about half the target area and the outside circles (poor and fair) barely exist at all. The cutters aren’t just trying to hit the bullseye, they’re trying to hit the line. The center generally loses more weight but doesn’t increase the premium. Miss it and you’re ‘very good’, which loses the premium entirely. It’s a delicate dance and there’s a LOT of money at stake. All of that said, pretty much all GIA-xxx’s are lovely stones and you’ll almost certainly be happy. This is all splitting hairs. There are no dogs in the category.

Remember that what you read on James Allen's site is an ad for James Allen. They're a good enough company but they are promoting what they have to sell and they are pushing their own branded line of supposedly H&A stones. Take it through a filter just like you would any other advertising. BMW is the ultimate driving machine, whatever THAT means.

Edited by denverappraiser