Advice/feedback On 1.5 Ct Engagement Ring

mike899

Looking for some advice/feedback on the diamond ring picutred below. Including how to get a better picture of it. I had read that using a white lit background will have the diamond be pictured better.

The center stone is:

1.5 RB

H

SI1

GIA certified

The ring; obviously a halo setting, white gold 18k, with .5 is diamonds

IMG_20120331_172542.jpg7

mainly looking for advice on the performance of the actual diamond. I personally think the light return on it is above average but I am not an expert.

You didn't give us any information to even take a wild guess on the light behavior. I couldn't tell you much without seeing the stone anyway but recent GIA reports do include a cut grade and a fair amount more information than what you provided. This isn't actually any sort of 'performance' grade either but it' sometimes helpful and can be reassuring. Although I would love to see a better picture (that one isn't all that bad by the way), it isn't really going to help for answering this particular question.

Do you already own this piece and are looking to know more about it or are you considering buying it and looking for shopping information?

Edited by denverappraiser

mainly looking for advice on the performance of the actual diamond. I personally think the light return on it is above average but I am not an expert.

You didn't give us any information to even take a wild guess on the light behavior. I couldn't tell you much without seeing the stone anyway but recent GIA reports do include a cut grade and a fair amount more information than what you provided. This isn't actually any sort of 'performance' grade either but it' sometimes helpful and can be reassuring. Although I would love to see a better picture (that one isn't all that bad by the way), it isn't really going to help for answering this particular question.

Do you already own this piece and are looking to know more about it or are you considering buying it and looking for shopping information?

I already own the ring, although it can be returned. I have not proposed yet. Was just doing some research on my purchase and making sure i didn't go wrong. I have had it appraised in NYC and was told I got a great price for it.

I can get the GIA #'s and post them when she's not home. The ring is slightly deeper and didn't score great on the HCA but I feel it doesn't appear dark

Igore the HCA, expecially if you've seen it and already love it. that tool was never intended for this purpose and it's enormously inappropriate.

Did your appraiser talk to you about your performance and light behavior questions? Did you ask?

Yea i asked Him. He said while the cut is not Gia excellent, its very good, he did not see any issue wiyth darkness or poor light return. I was just worried when i saw the poor hca score

one other thing i could use advice on is a bruise.

after looking at my diamond under the magnifying class for a while, the appraiser realized the diamond had a bruise on on the gutlet. he said he was extremely small and not noticeable by the naked eye.

your opinion does that greatly effect the value of the stone?

On a brand new stone? Is it noted on the plotting diagram of the GIA report? If not, send it back. That's a grading issue and it means the stone no longer matches the lab docs you have. It may longer even be an SI1. It's not damage that you as the end user could do without tools so it has to have been done by the setter or while it was being shown around. That is to say, pre-existing damage before you bought it (and thus before your insurance policy started). Repairing it loses weight, which on a 1.50 can be a huge deal, as I'm sure you know. This is a can-o-worms that shouldn't be your problem as a brand new buyer.

Um, not to sound critical of my fellow apprasiers, but didn't he/she tell you this?

I asked if I was visible or effected the performance of the diamond and he said no.

It was no on the gia plot so he plotted it in the appraisal as a bruise.

I asked if I should return it and he basically depends on how much of a perfectionist you are, he compared to buying a new pair of shoes with a scuff.

He was not as critical of it as you, I wasn't planning on returning it but now ugh I don't know. I wanted to givie it to her Sunday.

So stressful...

He's seen it, I haven't. He's your chosen expert and I"m just some guy on the Internet. I'll defer to him. Personally I would say a closer analogy from your description is buying a new sports car and finding a dent in the door before you even drive it off the lot.

If you are still watching this thread, being that i think you are an appraiser.

When they look at the ring under a microscope for appraising, what power is it? I bought a 10x loop today to look at the culet before i made a fuss with my jewler.. and i have been staring at it for 15 mins from many angles and i don't see a "bruise" from all angles it looks like it comes to a direct point.

i got a good price on the ring, i don't see it with a 10x loop let alone the naked eye. i think i am leaning towards not saying anything. maybe i will mention it to him when i go back for wedding bands and try to save some cash on that.

Thanks again for the help

Yes, I'm still watching. Yes, I'm an appraiser.

Grading is supposed to be done at 10x. I've no clue what your appraiser used. My microscope goes up to 60x if I want.

It's certainly up to you to decide if it's a problem or even if it's even there. My sole source of information is you. You reported damage on a brand new stone that is noted on an appraisal and not referenced on the lab report. I'm assuming this claim is correct and, if so, it's an important issue. Again, I haven't seen the stone and the one person who has other than the jeweler who sold it called it 'bruised'. Obviously if that's not the case then you have a completely different issue with this appraiser. If he's correct but it's not important to you, that's fine. In the end, yours is the opinion that counts.

You never gave a price but I'll take your word for it that your happy with how much you paid. It sounds like you're happy with what you got as well. Congratulations. That sounds like success.

Sorry, I have no problem giving the price. I paid 10k for the ring, diamond and setting. The ring is 18k gold with .5 in diamonds completing the halo and the diamond we have discussed.

Well i got the 10x loop and was expecting to see a lil chunck missing on the bottom or a lil scratch and for the life of me, i don't see a thing. It comes to a direct point from every angle i look at it and don't see a scratch.

As long as doesn't effect the look of the ring I am fine with it, if i can't see it under 10x, i don't think its effecting the look of the diamond.

you've been a great help.

A bruise on a diamond looks like one of the star fractures in your windshield after you hit a pebble. It's a bunch of radiating little micro-cracks that converge on a point. Some are little and some are big. Some, I suppose, don't exist at all.

I see. I am guessing its there but extremely small i am not seeing with my loop. Maybe with better lighting, who knows. The appraiser never tried to sell me something else. so not sure what his motive would of been.

I remember when he sold me this diamond he pointed out the culet when were comparing diamonds, he pointed out how this one had a nice point and another didn't. I inspected the cuelet at that time with him as well, didn't see anything.

Like I said, being that its so small I can't locate with my loop, I will bring it up to the jeweler when i go back in for bands and look to get reimbursed on the bands.

One other tid bit I remembered that will tell you was magnifier it was at. The same time he told I had a bruise he also read to me the laser inscription from Gia. I also can't see the laser inscription with my loop. That could say how small the bruise is as well

Laser inscriptions are often remarkably difficult to find and it actually takes a fair amount of practice to do it with a loupe. The angle of the light hitting the stone is the key. Hold the lens about an inch from your eye, hold the stone about an inch from that, stand or sit up straight so you don't cast a shadow with a bright light directly overhead and something dark colored in the background of your view field.