Black Diamond Rings

pixie23

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to buy a black diamond engagement ring for my soon to be fiance and would like to know where to start. I have been looking for a while now but I really don't have a clue about such things.

I know that Black Diamonds are generally cheaper than clear and she has a ponchant for Black and Silver coloured jewellery therefore I opted for the same for the Engagement Ring.

I'm from the UK and I'm finding it difficult to compare some retailers with others as there seems to be large voids and differences in pricing, also a serious lack of detail when it comes to the purchase of the actual ring. My budget is sub £1k

Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by pixie23

Black diamonds have two considerable advantages:

1. They are cheap

2. Colour, Clarity and Cut don't matter too much - once it's black, it's black.

This reduces the strain on both you and the dealer to come up with something "decent" - all that matters is the correct weight, the correct shape, an appropriate size (you can always compare it to the size for a colourless diamond of the same weight) and a good price. Last time I looked, prices were around a couple hundred dollars/carat (plus shipping, VAT etc.) for irradiated stones; about 10x as much for natural fancy black.

Availability of treated stones is plentiful - shop around for the cheapest prices, and don't be afraid of shopping outside the UK from a reputable dealer. If you want a natural black, it's a little bit more difficult to locate, but not at all impossible.

ETA: setting price: you get what you pay for. This recent thread discusses some of the issues, and may start you thinking about specific questions. http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7923-cost-of-setting-a-stone/

Edited by davidelevi

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you recommend any dealers that you know and would trust?

I have this company in mind and really like these rings. Would you say this is well priced? They seem to have a set prices on for most rings depending on stone/material etc so customers can adjust to their own requirements. You mentioned $200 per carat which works out to around ~£160 inc VAT? So if these 1 carat rings are £575, is it the cost of the gold?

http://www.diamond-heaven.co.uk/product-detail.cfm?theProductID=1BEA03A7-929D-D0B6-D3DE968E5BFA0BB8

http://www.diamond-heaven.co.uk/product-detail.cfm?theProductID=36A45BC2-F779-4316-B1610EC41E2B9C13

http://www.diamond-heaven.co.uk/diamonds/Black-Diamond-Shoulder-Set-Rings/KFUF/?perPage=32&lCatID=1B464516-9CB4-9D3A-17CDD62DAC3DF164&lPerPage=24&vis=cat

When comparing the UK to this company from the US there is a HUGE price difference. Ok so it's 14k instead of 18k Gold but they seem to have 2.5carat solitaire diamonds for $755 so £500 respectively. I don't really like any of these rings but I'm just using the company as a price comparison to gain a further understanding into what I'm purchasing.

http://www.belljewels.com/product.cgi?group=410&product=421

http://www.belljewels.com/cart.cgi?group=410&movetopage=2&Filter.onelevel=1&Filter.searchin=410&Filter.sortby=pricedesc

When companies refer to "Fancy Black" what is it they are refering to because you mentioned they cost 10x as much as an irradiated stone but this company uses the term for all their black diamonds.

Would you recommend purchasing from the likes of amazon?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pompeii3-Inc-Diamond-Vintage-Engagement/dp/B005QFFC3E/ref=sr_1_50?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1333275454&sr=1-50

Thanks

Edited by pixie23

'Fancy' in diamond lingo means all colors other than the traditional clear transparent things. There's a whole separate grading system for these. Blacks are sort of an anomoly because colors are graded with terms like 'vivid' and 'intense' and the prices can get psycho expensive as you move up this scale. 'Fancy vivid black' doesn't really make any sense, and isn't really any different from 'dark black'. Nonetheless, dealers tend to throw around the words because it sounds good and they read them in the ads from others. In any case, it refers to the color, not the origin of color.

The vast majority of fancy diamonds that you'll find, including blacks, got their color by treatment after it was mined. Usually with radiation but there are a few other choices as well. Untreated natural stones cost more, sometimes a LOT more. If a dealer is making a claim of untreated color origin, it's on them to prove it.

Hi David,

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you recommend any dealers that you know and would trust?

Um, what about us? Diamonds by Lauren don't stock treated stones, but we can find them easily. If you want someone who has treated black diamonds in stock, you can try these guys: http://www.fancycolordiamond.net

I have this company in mind and really like these rings. Would you say this is well priced? They seem to have a set prices on for most rings depending on stone/material etc so customers can adjust to their own requirements. You mentioned $200 per carat which works out to around ~£160 inc VAT? So if these 1 carat rings are £575, is it the cost of the gold?
If you look at what happens when you change the colour, clarity (presumably of the melée) and size of the centre stone the prices that come up don't represent good value for the stones. For the setting, it may be a fair price, but it depends on a lot more than the gold - be it 14 or 18 K.

When comparing the UK to this company from the US there is a HUGE price difference. Ok so it's 14k instead of 18k Gold but they seem to have 2.5carat solitaire diamonds for $755 so £500 respectively. I don't really like any of these rings but I'm just using the company as a price comparison to gain a further understanding into what I'm purchasing.
Yes, the US market is much more price competitive - and lower priced to start with because of a number of reasons. In any case, don't forget that you'd have to add shipping, duty (2.5%) and VAT (20% on item + shipping + duty) to US prices to make them fully comparable. 14 to 18 K gold makes relatively little difference; what does matter though is the quality of workmanship and finish - which you cannot assess from one small size stock photo (US site) or CAD renderings/photoshop-altered images (UK site)

When companies refer to "Fancy Black" what is it they are refering to because you mentioned they cost 10x as much as an irradiated stone but this company uses the term for all their black diamonds.
See Neil's response above - and note that I said "about 10x as much for natural fancy black", natural being the key word here.

Would you recommend purchasing from the likes of amazon?

Thanks

Amazon - like eBay - is just a marketplace (other than for items like books and CDs/DVDs). The question is not so much whether you can trust Amazon, but what are you buying from a third party which uses Amazon as a platform. Considering the amount of detail that I require when buying a piece of jewellery, a listing like the one you linked would definitely NOT be my choice, independently of whether it's on Amazon, eBay, on the vendor's own site or anywhere else. Edited by davidelevi

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've finally chosen a ring pair for myself and my fiance. Both rings will feature Black Diamonds. Her's will only be the centre stone and mine will be all black. Her ring will have a solid ring rather than having a gap under the Claw like the original design (Final will be the TOP ring with a solid base like the 2nd pic).

So far I have had a price for $2300 in Platinum for hers made by an unknown Jeweller in NYC refered by Ishay Ben David.

£640/$1000 + cost of centre stone in 18k WG locally

And I am still awaiting my third quotation from another local bespoke Jeweller whom I have my second meeting with on Tuesday.

As far as the Diamonds go, locally I'm looking at around £450/$700 per Carat, which I have somewhat dismissed due to them being double the price. Globally, I have a found 2 stones that look good. One is roughly half the price of the other but from a slightly unknown dealer in India ($150), the other being from NYC. ($300) Pictures below...Both 6.5mmx6x5mmx4mm 1 Carat weight. I'm leaning towards NYC as it is a trusted company and I know it's genuine, however there is a small spot inside the Diamond as you can see in the photo's. This is inside the stone not on the surface.

India.png

black1.jpg

black2.jpg

black3.jpg

Also I cannot wear Gold for religious reasons and Ti forging of my ring is uber expensive so I'm left with Palladium or Silver as Platinum is out of my budget. I've done as much research as I can and would like expert advice before making my final choice.

Let me know what you all think.

leaf.jpg

tear.jpg

Ti.jpg

P.S. What do you think about Black White Black White Black alternate diamonds in my ring? Too busy? Any chance somebody would be kind enough to photoshop for me?

Edited by pixie23

Hi Pixie - not sure what your questions are - other than the explicit ones at the bottom of your post... but a couple of comments on metals:

If gold and platinum (and titanium) are no-go, then palladium is by far better than silver. It's harder, it doesn't tarnish and it works reasonably for setting. Stainless steel may be another option (though I have never seen it used for setting work, and I don't know anyone who would be familiar with it).

On the B-W-B-W question: definitely too much for me. YMMV.

Not really asking any questions per se, just sharing my experience I guess. Which Diamond do you think I should go for...Slightly unsecured seller or stone with the inclusion?

I was thinking BWBW would be too much tbh. All black or all white as yet I'm still undecided :s

I think Palladium is defo the way I will go, however we can see what the Ti forging price comes back at on Tuesday. Platinum would have been nice but it's too far out of my price range. The only thing I was worried about is that Palladium does not hold any value but then I guess there is no other choice which is a shame.

Palladium will hold value - it's just lower than platinum or gold, but then so is the cost. You can find scrap dealers easily enough for palladium, and in fact it's more useful industrially than platinum.

Diamond choice: I don't know. From the photos you posted, I cannot understand what the inclusion would look like - black diamonds are typically nearly opaque, so an inclusion would be very difficult to see. On the other hand, the fact that they tell you there is one is making me think... But at least they are being honest; the unchecked vendors you may be stuck with...