Diamond Stone Looking For Help- Looking For 1C-1.25C

saero0119

Hi,

So I have been shopping for diamonds and I am so confused because I have been to 5 stores and all 5 stores are telling me different stories and different prices so I am not sure which I should go with. Here is my description of what I want. I want a diamon around 1-1.25 carat. color should be between E-G and Clarity for VS2-VS1 and round shape. I would like to have ideal cut. I always went for GIA certified diamond but some jeweler told me why I would want to pay $1500 more and go GIA. He also told me EGL's grading is just fine too. And he also told me it's not about the cut but it's about how proportional the diamond is which i really didn't understand what he was saying. Every store I went have red sapport.com price list. How does this price list work? Is this price list for GIA certified diamond? I just want to have simple engagement ring. Some of jewlers told me I should be fine with white gold setting other jewelers told me I should pay little bit extra and go for Planium because it holds tight. How do you know which jeweler are saying the truth? With my description of what I want, how much should I look for?

Please advise.

Thank you in advance :)

The list you're being shown is from Rapaport and you can read about it at their website www.rapaport.com. It's basically manufacturers suggested pricing. The problem is that actual prices vary a LOT depending on details that are off the list, cutting in particular. GIA graded stones in popular color/clarity combinations of excellent cutting for Rap is a fine deal. Bad cuts of stones that are unpopular (think VVS2/K or I1/D for example) Rap is decidedly high. For premium branded sorts of goods or high retail sorts of places, it's decidedly low.

A far better benchmark to use is to look up comparable items at the dealers in the database here. Look at the 'diamond finder' at the top of the page. Even if you have no intention of buying from these folks it's a very useful tool for deciding if your prices are being offered are in line with the competition. Rap is nearly useless for this purpose.

Edited by denverappraiser

It may be, depending on what you are buying. An eye-clean AGS-graded Ideal cut 1.00 H/SI1 for $6000 is a pretty good deal. An UGL-graded stone at a fair price is probably half as much.

At the moment, you are buying the equivalent of "red car, 4 wheels, 30,000 miles, $15000". Is this a good price? For a Ferrari 458 in good conditions, of course (in fact, so good it's probably not true). For a 1966 rusty Ford Pinto, it's definitely not a good deal.

I think you are trying to jump too quickly to the "buy" phase. Stop, relax, research and start to talk to vendors with the aim of selecting them, not the diamonds they sell.

GIA's rates are public and published here: http://www.gia.edu/lab-reports-services/fees_payment/lab_fees/Lab-Fee-Schedule-Diamond-US.pdf EGL is both faster and cheaper but they aren't free. The reason people use them is that they have a different grading scale that is not convertable. THAT'S why GIA stones with similarly sounding descriptions cost more. GIA-VS2 does not mean the same as EGLI-VS etc. If it did, there would be no stones ever sent to EGLI. It just wouldn't make any sense.

Ditto to Davide's comment about picking your dealer first and a diamond second rather than the reverse. Any dealer worth their salt can get you pretty much anything you want. If they're asking you to rely on EGLI, ask yourself (and them), why? Spend some time playing with the 'diamond finder' database here. If you search for a range of similar stones with a few hundred results you'll notice that ALL of the cheap ones are EGLI and ALL of the expensive ones are GIA and AGS. This begs a simple enough question. Why? (hint, it's not the lab fees; you can look those up and you'll see that they're relatively cheap).

Comment #2. Different people and different labs use the word 'ideal' very differently. GIA doesn't use it at all. Make sure you understand what they mean when they use it. Much nonsense can be buried in this claim.

Thank you for the comment! It seems like whenever I go to stores, what they do is they talk to me and get my number and call me in few days later with the stones that they.....I have tried to select vendors to work with..Honestly shopping for engagement ring has been very stressful and frustrating!

That's the way it's done. Inventory cost is a killer for jewelers and they can't possibly have enough on hand to have what everybody wants. The solution is to vet you as a buyer and then consign in stones for a few days to make a presentation. In the business this is known as 'memo'. If you buy, the store takes their cut and pays the supplier and if you don't buy it goes back and waits for the call from the next store. The system actually works pretty well and it's not something to worry about but it's the REASON to vet the jeweler in advance. They are your ally in the hunt, not your opponent. If you find their advice to be unreliable for whatever reason, don't just hold it against the stone, hold it against the dealer.

'Get my number?' Like in - credit card number for a nonrefundable deposit? Run. Asking you to come back is reasonable, and if their prices are aggressive asking you to pay shipping on the ones you DON'T buy is even reasonable, but you shouldn't be paying for the look and you shouldn't be guaranteeing to buy SOMETHING from that store if the stone they bring in is unacceptable. Yes, give them the number if they insist, shipping in stones for your benefit is not without cost, but make sure to negotiate up front exactly what is being paid for and what the exit strategy will be if you don't decide to buy.

Thank you for the reply. All the stores that I have been they said they only have have ideal cut diamonds. One of the jeweler offered me for ideal cut, SI1, H color and 1 Ct for $6000. Is this price resonable?

Don't buy a diamond without a GIA or AGS lab report. Also look for a really well cut diamond so it will sparkle nicely and look the size it is suppose to be. Definitely don't purchase a diamond with a UGL report. The last stone I saw like with that lab report, I don't think the lab actually viewed the stone it was so far off from the lab report.

No one will sell you a 1.00 ct. GIA EX EX EX SI 1 H or AGS ideal cut for $6000 because they cost more than that. You could however get a really nice, eye clean SI2 I AGS stone for $4990. It will look nicer and cleaner than any stone with a second tier lab report.

Edited by jan

For a 1966 rusty Ford Pinto, it's definitely not a good deal.

DEFINITELY a problem with the grading here. The Pinto was first introduced in 1971. :)

Yep - I'm off by a decade. For some reason, I thought the fuel tank controversy dated back to 1967, but it was exactly 10 years later! Sorry.

BTW, I think that saero0119 was talking of his phone number, but the advice on credit cards and deposits is well taken.

Jan: you can find AGS 1.00 Ideal H/SI1 for about $6000. Here is one http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_LD02504102?click_id=874034055 (add in strong fluorescence, and this stone may well end up slightly below 6000). Whether it's a "good" stone is a completely different question.

Thank you for the comment! It seems like whenever I go to stores, what they do is they talk to me and get my number and call me in few days later with the stones that they.....I have tried to select vendors to work with..Honestly shopping for engagement ring has been very stressful and frustrating!

That's because you keep trying to select the diamonds, not the vendor... Forget about what they have in stock for a moment, and evaluate them based on helpfulness, lack of aggressive sales techniques, availability of information and ability to explain the information. THEN make your choice and stick to it, rather than hopping to the next shop because the first one cannot show you right away what you want at a budget you can afford.