Advice Need On M Colored Diamond

MsMe

Hi everyone!

I am so happy I found this forum!!!! My boyfriend and I started ring shopping last weekend. We went to a local jewlery store Iowa Diamond with a unique purchacing style. There are no ring cases...you are given a private room adn they bring the rings and loose diamonds to you. I fell in love with a diamond and would love (and be thankfull) for any advice anyone can give me.

Here are the stats on the stone.

1.2 carat

M color

VsI

I am not sure of the table and other stats, but I do remember that it is 7mm wide....and is shallow cut.

$ 6,700.00

I could see the color in the diamond (in the office they use 'diamond buying light") but once we took it to the lobby I could not see the color and it sparkled AMAZING!!! Our jewler said it was cut better than any of the other (less color) diamonds we saw...but I have not yet seen the GIA report.

I know M is LOW on the list of diamonds for most people but I do feel it is the stone for me. I just want to pay the right price for it.

All of the M VsI 1.2 diamonds I am finding online are in the $3,500 range. Am I getting wrong results? are these wholesale prices? What type of information in valid to take to my jewler and talk about price (he did say to come to him if we found better prices). I can post the diamonds and charts I have found here.....if it is allowed.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me. We are so excited to purchace our diamond!!!

Edited by MsMe
  • Like 1

Feel free to list whatever names you like. This is especially true if you have a happy experience and you want to post a testimonial or if you have an unresolved complaint.

M is not a defect. It's a color, and there is nothing whatever wrong with it. It's only an issue if the seller is saying one thing and delivering something different. If it's an M, they call it an M, it's priced like an M, and you like M better, that's a feature not a problem.

M's are a little hard to shop because most of the online stores don't do well with them but they are out there and pretty much any jeweler, including the online guys, can get them. Ask. The 'diamond finder' at the top of the page is a good place to start. Try searching for, say, 1.20-1.4/M/VVS1-SI1 and see what turns up as a comparable offer.

The stats on the GIA are important. Do NOT make a decision until you've see it. Tiny details matter.

Edited by denverappraiser

$6700 sounds quite high - but then again $3500 sounds pretty low. Prices for comparables on the diamond finder go from about $5300 to about $3900 (and those around the bottom end don't seem particularly well cut, on paper).

As well as doing your due diligence on that specific diamond, as Neil suggests, I would also recommend that you check out a few more diamonds in other stores - think Tiffany or looking at Jared's "Peerless" line. I am not suggesting you buy in either of those places; I'm simply pointing them out as sources of well cut and fairly graded stones to compare.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with M colour, and there is nothing wrong with a shallow cut if you like it (though 7mm diameter is normal for a 1.20). Shallow cuts can be very bright, but they may lack fire - and this may not be apparent immediately to a beginner. Just make sure that it is really the look you prefer: it is possible for a dealer to "pilot" choice - whether cynically or not - by an appropriate choice of stones to show you.

Here's a couple of photos (unretouched) of M graded stones, and yes, they can look amazingly white

r3611c.jpg

same stone, but in a light that shows the tint

r3611d.jpg

and another one

r4311a.jpg

showing colour here

r4311f.jpg

thank you so much for your replies. I am still concerned about paying $6,700 for this diamond. I am going to check out a couple of jewlers in the local area before my Sat appt at Iowa Diamond.

A quick search of the database here for 1.25-1.40/L-M/VS1-VS2/GIA only, produces 77 stones for sale. Every one of them is cheaper than that. Some by quite a bit. There's value in shopping with a local dealer and it's up to you to decide if you're both willing to pay a premium for THAT dealer and a premium for THAT stone. You can undoubtably find something similar for less elsewhere if you work it a bit. You may also be able to use this data to beat them up on the price. Show them a few offers for bigger/better/cheaper and see what they have to say.

Edited by denverappraiser

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I am so happy I found this forum!!!! My boyfriend and I started ring shopping last weekend. We went to a local jewlery store Iowa Diamond with a unique purchacing style. There are no ring cases...you are given a private room adn they bring the rings and loose diamonds to you. I fell in love with a diamond and would love (and be thankfull) for any advice anyone can give me.

Here are the stats on the stone.

1.2 carat

M color

VsI

I am not sure of the table and other stats, but I do remember that it is 7mm wide....and is shallow cut.

$ 6,700.00

I could see the color in the diamond (in the office they use 'diamond buying light") but once we took it to the lobby I could not see the color and it sparkled AMAZING!!! Our jewler said it was cut better than any of the other (less color) diamonds we saw...but I have not yet seen the GIA report.

I know M is LOW on the list of diamonds for most people but I do feel it is the stone for me. I just want to pay the right price for it.

All of the M VsI 1.2 diamonds I am finding online are in the $3,500 range. Am I getting wrong results? are these wholesale prices? What type of information in valid to take to my jewler and talk about price (he did say to come to him if we found better prices). I can post the diamonds and charts I have found here.....if it is allowed.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me. We are so excited to purchace our diamond!!!

All the very best to you