Is This Ring A Good Buy? Reset Leos, Seems Like A Steal

Trudibop

Hello, can anyone put their (more informed than mine) two cents in? I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Pre-loved ring

Reset Leo diamond 3 stone

Center stone G-H, VS1/VS2, .68ct

Side stones G-H SI1/SI2, .40ct each

Total 1.48ct

Reset in 14K WG Ashi basket setting

Asking price $2300

I don't LOVE Leos but these seem like beautiful stones although I've only seen pictures. The grading is probably a little optimistic as it is an IGI certificate. GemEx didn't look impressive but what do I know?

The only third-party evaluation that exists is that the center stone is 5.5mm and the sides are 4mm each.

How does this sound? Seems like a great deal but I'm a little hung up on the fact that they are Leos since I'm all about the sparkle and I've heard a lot about Leos being pretty disappointing in anything other than direct light.

There's a host of potential red flags, but the largest one is that a good price on something you don't want is not a bargain.

You have pointed out many of them - in random order:

1. Leo brand - I assume princess cut. Paying a premium for - frankly - nothing. For rounds, slightly different conversation, in as much as at least the cut is different (not better, but at least different).

2. Unimpressive GemEX - for a brand that places its advertising on "how well they perform on GemEX"... this is a clear no, thanks.

3. IGI report: no assurance that the stone is indeed that colour or clarity, never mind cut quality

4. Split grading - assume lower, and then some

5. You don't love Leos

6. Leos not performing well in "non-spotlight" environments - and remember that pictures can be deceiving.

There are plenty of other "bargains" around - this one does not sound like it is one for you. If the stones are princess cuts, the price is unexceptional too - and the proportions look a bit odd for a 3-stone ring (three stones almost the same size). If you have a good return period, and no penalties attached, you can get the ring and see if you fall in love, but to me it sounds like a bit of a waste of time and shipping fees.

Edited by davidelevi

Thank you so much Davide. I guess I just needed a reminder to tell me what I already knew. The stones are rounds. I actually like the look of three stones very close in size-- I was originally going to go with 3 .5's (I tried on a ring with this proportion and absolutely fell in love with the look of it). Is there something you suggest to be more flattering on a size 4.25 or is this purely a matter of preference? Perhaps a .75 w/side stones .5 each?

Edited by Trudibop

It is purely a matter of preference. Most people here are looking for advice on engagement rings or anyway rings where "one stone" matters more than the rest, I had assumed (wrongly) that this was the case.

Rule of thumb if you want the centre to stand out is to use total weight of the sides between 1/3 and 1/2 of the centre stone. Here's a 1:3 ring (ignore the fact that it is a 5 stone): the centre is 2.69, and the two sides are 0.43 each.

r4327-hand-forged-five-diamond-ring.jpg

• Like 1

Umm. You want a Leo because you want more 'sparkle' and they claim this in their advertising, but you've never actually seen one. I presume this is a private party deal and there is no return option if you decide you don't care for it after you've had a chance to walk it around the block and think about it. Is any or all of this correct? If so, you need to fill in some blanks before you proceed.

Can you go somewhere that sells Leo's and take a look in person? Leo is connected with the outfit that owns Jareds and Kays (among others) and they're pretty widely available, at least in the US. That seems like a good first step. Is this ring being sold in a way that you can look at it in person before you have to comit to the deal? A good price on the wrong thing is no bargain.

Edited by denverappraiser

• 2 months later...

It is purely a matter of preference. Most people here are looking for advice on engagement rings or anyway rings where "one stone" matters more than the rest, I had assumed (wrongly) that this was the case.

Rule of thumb if you want the centre to stand out is to use total weight of the sides between 1/3 and 1/2 of the centre stone. Here's a 1:3 ring (ignore the fact that it is a 5 stone): the centre is 2.69, and the two sides are 0.43 each.

r4327-hand-forged-five-diamond-ring.jpg

Very pretty and beautiful.

• Like 2

Ummm - nice idea, but it doesn't quite work out in this case. The two outside stones are 0.12 each, so you end up with a whole/part ratio which is 3.79/2.69 = 1.40

On the other hand, it's quite possible that since weight is about volume, but what you see is length and/or area, the proportions between the areas of the stones or their diameters fall closer to the golden ratio in some way. And there are other pleasant module combinations other than the golden ratio (e.g. the 9:1 ratio between a Ionic column height and its diameter)

Edited by davidelevi