Newbie Seeking Help/peace Of Mind

route609

Hello

I am new to this forum, my name is Paul.

I recently proposed to my girlfriend in Barcelona.

She said yes and loved the ring, two main things that could have went wrong :)

However, the ring I bought is a Tolwolsky and is 3.5 times too big. The reason for this is that I knew it would be too large but the diamond on this ring is of very good quality in terms of cut and colour I did not want to risk ordering her size without knowing the diamond would not be of the same quality,

We took it to the jeweller today and she said they can resize it however it possibly take a slight oval shape due to the amount of resize.

Is this something I should expect to happen and be worried about?

I am so scared this beautiful and expensive ring may be spoiled by resizing it by 3.5 times smaller?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul - welcome!

I am puzzled as to why you feel that you had to "get that ring or else" - jewellers are normally pretty accommodating in terms of setting stones on a different setting than the one they have to start with, but anyway what's done is done.

I think (I hope) that you mean resize 3.5 sizes down i.e. from (say) 8 to 4.5, not 3.5 times as in from a size 10.5 to a size 3... but in any case it won't change very much the answer.

It is definitely possible to avoid any problem with out-of-round, but the issue is how much does it cost. Whether a "simple" resize (i.e. cutting out one or two pieces of the shank and soldering the remainder back together) will show anything depends on two main factors: 1) the skill of the goldsmith and 2) the shape and presence of any decoration on the shank. At worst, the whole ring may need to be rebuilt, in which case you are probably better off getting the main stone set on a new, correctly sized ring.

Hi davidelevi

Thanks for your reply.

It wasn't a case of "this or else", I was told that they could not guarantee stone quality until the new ring arrived in store. Delivery was up to 4 weeks and I could not wait.

I was not aware that they may be able to add the stone to a new band, I will ask them this.

In terms of the cost, it does not cost me to alter the size of the ring.

The goldsmith I am unsure of. The ring was purchased from earnst jones, has anyone experienced using their goldsmiths?

[snip]

In terms of the cost, it does not cost me to alter the size of the ring.

Be careful - the cost to you is not the same thing as the cost to them, and it takes two to tango. "Free sizing" does not mean they will do the best thing for you in terms of the final result - and they are being honest enough to tell you that there is a risk. Replacing a shank or rebuilding a ring is not the same thing (or cost) as sizing.

The goldsmith I am unsure of. The ring was purchased from earnst jones, has anyone experienced using their goldsmiths?
As for most chain jewellery stores, quality varies.