Value Of 1.2 Carat, F Si1, Triple Ex Diamond

MABE

I need help in deciding between two stones, each 1.20 carat, F SI1, triple ex, no fluorescence at $9000. The inclusions are pretty minimal for both.

The difference seems to be in the cut or the proportions. Diamond 2 I'm told by the jeweler is "Ideal" and I wouldn't find a better deal out there he says. Diamond 1 seems to be less than a "Fine" diamond based on the AGS specs but the jeweler had better setting choices and they provided overall better service.

Specs are below

Question 1: We like Diamond 1 jeweler but is it better value to get Diamond 2 if both diamonds are same price?

Question 2: Which has a better resell value? Why?

Question 3: If Diamond 1 is not considered "Ideal", what would it be called?

Quesiton 4: Which stone would you choose - Diamond 1 or 2 - if you were me?

Here is a side by side.

• Table Size - 60 (Diamond 1) versus 57 (Diamond 2)
  • Crown Angle - 32 vs 34.5
  • Crown depth - 12.5 vs 15
  • Girdle Thickness - both meduim to slightly thick
  • Pavilion angle - 41.6 vs 41
  • Pavilion Depth % - 44 vs 43.5
  • Culet Size - both none
  • Polish - both excellent
  • Symmetry - both excellent

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks

Edited by MABE

AGS rules are decidedly complicated and you don't have enough information to use it. That makes me curious how your jeweler came to this conclusion. 'Fine' isn't an AGS grading term by the way.

You describe both stones as 'triple x'. Normally that means GIA grading and 'excellent' in cut, symmetry and polish. That doesn't seem to be what you have so, as with the above, what did he mean by that?

Who graded the stones?

Resale value is going to depend on the answers to the above as well as your own selling skills. In general, diamond customers take a significant haircut on resale and it's a bad plan to go into this thinking you'll ever see your money again.

Budget accordingly.

1.20-1.25/F/SI1/round has 197 stones advertised in the database at the top of the page under 'diamond finder'. they range from over $11,000 to under $5000. The difference has to do with the questions we're talking about. Yours falls within that range, which isn't saying much.

It's entirely possible that you can buy the diamond from one jeweler and the setting from the other. Similarly, it's entirely possible that the jeweler you like has access to more stones than what's in his showcase. Go with the one that you like and who has treated you well and then use the other offer and the folks in the diamond finder as leverage to make sure the price is in range.

Thanks for feedback.

I compared the proportions of the two stones based on the info from this website.

http://www.jewellerycatalogue.co.uk/diamonds/ags_detail.php

Looking at their chart and plugging in my own numbers, 0 being Ideal, Diamond 1 added up to a (9) and and Diamond 2 added up to (0)-Ideal.

• Table Size - 60 (Diamond 1- 2 points) vs 57 (Diamond 2)
  • Crown Angle - 32 (3 points) vs 34.5
  • Girdle Thickness - both meduim to slightly thick
  • Pavilion angle - 41.6 (4 points) vs 41

• Culet Size - none vs none

• Polish - both excellent
  • Symmetry - both excellent

Diamond 1 stands to lose an 8 additional points as well if you add the criteria below.

• Pavilion Depth % - 44 (Diamond 1- 1 point) vs 43.5

• Crown depth - 12.5 (7 points) vs 15

Is this an accurate read to determine the stones worth?

Both diamonds are GIA certified.

Thanks

Edited by MABE

[snip]

Is this an accurate read to determine the stones worth?

Both diamonds are GIA certified.

Thanks

No, it isn't.

First of all, the site you linked seems to use tables representing the pre-2006 AGS approach, which had significant shortcomings. Secondly, there is no direct relationship between the scores you are deriving or any cut grade and stone "worth" - though there is a general correlation between GIA or AGS grade (current!) and the price, there are many other factors in the way, and particularly with an SI-clarity stone the visibility of the inclusions is going to have a very strong effect on price.

If both diamonds are GIA-graded, use the GIA cut grade as a first proxy for quality of cut; they are probably both "excellent", but they will look different given the proportions. Unfortunately (or luckily?), there is no "better" one, there is only the one you like better. FWIW, #2 is probably closer to the notion of "modern ideal", but that doesn't mean it looks more attractive to you.

AGS abandoned that cut grading system in 2005. It does have it's merits, most notably becasuse it's easy to use and doesn't require expensive tools, it has some serious shortcomings. Basically, if you want to use AGS grading as a shopping tool, shop for stones graded by AGS lab.

Was a cut grade supplied by GIA? There's a pretty good tool for estimating what the GIA cut grade will be at www.facetware.gia.edu if it's one of their older reports. You have to guess on a couple of the items but most of the data is available.

Then again, the GIA cut system came on in 2006 and if they're selling 6 year old stones, I would ask why it's been sitting for so long.

The most straightforward way to decide what a stone is 'worth' is to look for comparable items being sold by others in the same marketplace. The easiest market to look at is the online sellers because they make their data so easy to see and the easiest online marketplace is the 'diamond finder' button at the top of the page here. If you're not inclined to do the footwork, you an always hire an appraiser to do it for you.