I Need Some Help. Is This Ring A Good Buy?

built240

So its about that time. The little lady has her eye set on this

https://www.beverlydiamonds.com/index.php?file=product_detail&products_id=24945

I spoke with the sales guy to find out the 'details' they dont always include. Here are my concerns

First he says anything big like over 1.5carats is always going to have some visible inclusions. So a 2carat diamond thats a vs2 could possibly still have some visual inclusions to the human eye but very slight. So i dont want this ring to arrive with a big cloud in the middle or something. How noticeable are these "inclusions" they speak of

2nd thing that worries me is the ring is clairity enhanced. The guy said it could have originally been an SI and they fixed it to make it a VS2

and last thing that worries me is they are GRA cert instead of GIA.

So basically im not looking to resell this, she really likes the ring> I mainly just want to know if this is a "good buy" It appraises at $33k on sale for $18 and then take 35% off that so its roughly $9k.

Now keep in mind she doesnt mind if its clairty enhanced and this isnt an investment buy, I just want to make sure this isnt a rip off and I could find the same thing cheaper or of better quality for the same price. Thanks

First thing he says is completely untrue. Or rather - it may well be true for a clarity enhanced stone, it certainly is not true for a naturally clear stone. Whether the "enhanced" inclusions remain visible after treatment is a function of how they were configured in the first place, your visual acuity and the angle at which you observe them.

On the second and third question/point - here is a pretty relevant thread: http://www.diamondre...nds-los-angeles

And here is another one: http://www.diamondre...anced-diamonds/

Resale to some extent is irrelevant - the far bigger issue is whether you are paying a fair price for what you are getting. Be assured that the appraisal at $33k and the "standard price" at $18k are not worth the paper they are printed on. If they could get 18k (never mind 33) for that ring, they would not sell it at $9k.

Edited by davidelevi

No, the key is finding out what a similar enhanced diamond would cost you elsewhere and whether this one is better, cheaper, easier deal or whatever it is that you're looking for. They are NOT graded using the GIA grading scale and methodology and VS2 does not mean the same thing as VS2ce. It's not even close. Heck, VS2ce doesn't even always mean the same as VS2ce. Not only are they not using GIA grading standards, there are not agreed upon standards between graders. Comparing 2 stones graded by different labs can be very problematic. It's like buying a used Hyundai and noticing that it has the same number of wheels as the new Ferrari and it's a lot cheaper. True enough, but it's a correct answer to the wrong question. Whether or not the Hundai is a 'good deal' depends on the relationship to other similar cars and we know nothing at all about that. That's not a slam on Hyundai, or even Ferrari, it's just the way it works.

By the way, what their appraiser says it's worth is useless information. If you want an appraisal, hire your own appraiser to look at it and give an opinion about it (this might be a good idea by the way).

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks. So i talked to a real jeweler today who's a family friend and he said thats a terrible deal and to never buy a CE diamond. he said for $10k he can more than likely find me the exact same thing thats not CE and is GIA certified. He also said there is probably no way thats a color F. He said a real GIA certified diamond thats even a much less color like a J or even an I with a rating thats even lower than a VS2 like maybe an SI would still look better and and hold up much better than their CE diamond. Fingers are crossed.

Well, I agree with many of the things your jeweller said, but I think he is going to struggle to get a 2 carat non-enhanced princess with an elaborate setting for $10k without some serious compromise on clarity, colour and/or cut.

If you went down to 1.90 H/VS2 you'd still be spending around $10k for the diamond alone, as you would for a well cut, eye-clean 2.00 J/SI1.

There is then the non trivial matter of whether you (and your SO) want a diamond that shows slightly yellow (a J/K 2 carat will, particularly from the side) and/or that may have some visible inclusion rather than a smaller one that is certainly white and eye-clean....

This said, you are at least shopping in an area where there is true comparability because of the lab grading and greater choice of well-known, respected vendors, plus the diamond would retain some resale value, whereas a CE stone is dead in the water the moment it leaves the shop.

A little over 10 is doable, but no more than 12. Also I told him to look for pre-owned center stone's. Dont diamonds have a terrible resale value? I'd think pre-owned would be the way to go perhaps?

Also I def dont want any yellow. Has to be as close to near colorless as possible.

Pre-owned is not going to affect much if anything if you're buying from a jeweler. The problem with resale has to do with the conditions of the market, not the merchandise. Jewelers do occasionaly get the opportunity to buy a stone cheaply from the public and they may or may not choose to give you a discount as a result and many jewelers have a consignment section with merchandise owned by other people where 'deals' may happen but 'used' rocks doesn't make as much sense as with other kinds of products.

Edited by denverappraiser

Ahhh makes sense. My first wife's ring was cheap. I think i paid maybe $3k and it appraised for $5500. Well that didnt work out lol and a year later I could only get $900 for it on consignment. So if it only was resellable for 1/3rd of what i paid I was thinking i could find $20k+ fancy engagement rings on consigment for around 1/3rd and then possibly use that center stone and have it put in my own setting.

People get hammered on the resale market for several reasons. Some good, some not so good.

#1 They are buying new and selling used. Mountings, in particulqar, have condition issues that are important to the buyer but diamonds chip as well.

#2 They have obsolete styling. As with te above, this is mostly about mountings but it happens with diamonds too. What was popular 20 or even 5 years ago isn’t necessarily a good seller now. What people are selling are things they don’t want and they don’t ask themselves if anyone else is likely to want it. They may be selling because of a bad emotional connection or just because they need the money but a remarkable number are selling just because the piece is ugly and they don’t want it.

#3 They tend to forget what they actually paid and rely on what some jeweler said it’s ‘worth’. The difference can be dramatic.

#4 Selling is a lot harder than buying. That’s why jewelers hire staff, rent expensive addresses, advertise all over the place, etc. It ain’t easy. Most private sellers are in a hurry, aren’t especially skilled, and don’t want to invest in advertising, repairs, lab docs and the like. Private sellers are usually not very excited about the deal where buyers are usually excited. They don’t want to do the work required to check out the available options.

#5 People often overpaid in the first place but don’t realize it until it’s time to sell. When they bought it, the difference between SI1 and I1 or the brand of the lab that did the grading didn’t seem very important but when they sell it’s now a huge deal.

• Like 1