Royally Cheated By Globaldiamondwholesalers

Roopa Ravi

I purchased a pair of solitaire diamond earrings from a dealer called Nancy Kowal From Global Diamond Wholesalers from North Brunswick, NJ.

I ordered a 2.04ctw Platinum Diamond earrings color F and clarity VS for $8700. I was promised that I would get a EGL, NY certificate and all her stuff comes with a money back guarantee.

When I received the diamonds one the backs of the platinum diamonds studs was broken. I called her and she asked me to take it to a jeweler and get it fixed. I took it to Gold and Diamonds, Inc in Gahanna, OH. The owner who is quite a learned man told me that these diamonds have come with a EGL international from Seoul certificate and the diamonds do not look like the color and clarity as stated,.

I took the pair of earrings to one of the most reputed appraisers in Columbus http://http://www.northernappraisal.com/ and it was appraised by Mitchell Dustin, Graduate Gemologist (GIA).

The EGL International certificate states the diamonds as

1. 1.01ctw F in color and VS2 in clarity.

2. 1.03 ctw F in color and VS2 in clarity.

The appraisal from Mr. Dustin came as

1. 1.01 ctw G in color and SI2 in clarity.

2. 1.03ctw G in color and I1 in clarity.

I called Nancy Kowal and told her that I need to return the diamond earrings and she abused me with all the cuss words on the phone called me a liar and told me she will not accept the return and told me that she does not trust any appraiser and her appraisal is right.

I am now in a fix. I send her a check and paid her, check payable to her company. I do not know how to get a refund.

I have recorded her telephone conversation where she is using all the bad words in the world .

Can anyone help me? What can I do? Can i File a complain against this company somewhere? Thank you for any information.

Edited by Roopa Ravi

Offer her this:

Don't rely on either appraiser. You will send the diamonds to GIA, at your expense, for grading. If they come back F/VS2 as stated, you politely apologize and take it up with the appraiser. If they come back less than stated, she gives a full refund, plus the GIA fees plus shipping, plus the cost of the jeweler to take them out of the setting. Simple huh? Make this offer in writing. If she agrees, get her agreement in writing and do it. If it comes out wrong and she doesn't pay, sue her. If she doesn't agree, ask why not. Get THAT in writing and then sue her. If it comes out right, be happy.

She's in NJ. Where are you? Did you go to her store or did this deal happen over the internet? When did the deal happen?

They don't seem to have a website where I could check what the money back policy is; however, presumably it is in writing somewhere, as well as the description of the diamonds as "graded by EGL NY"? If so, and as long as you haven't actually broken any of the conditions for the return, she is (or should be) obliged to accept the return. Presumably you have also got it in writing that she asked you to repair the earrings yourself; one of the commonest get-out clauses is "unaltered and as received"....

In any case, call your bank and ask them to stop the check (they may still be able to do that), which evens out the negotiating ground considerably...

They don't seem to have a website where I could check what the money back policy is; however, presumably it is in writing somewhere, as well as the description of the diamonds as "graded by EGL NY"? If so, and as long as you haven't actually broken any of the conditions for the return, she is (or should be) obliged to accept the return. Presumably you have also got it in writing that she asked you to repair the earrings yourself; one of the commonest get-out clauses is "unaltered and as received"....

In any case, call your bank and ask them to stop the check (they may still be able to do that), which evens out the negotiating ground considerably...

I have purchased from her a few times on ebay, she goes by the user id globalfinediamonds3. Those purchases were given as gifts so did not bother to check the color or clarity. Just blindly trusted her as she has a 100% positive feedback. Did all the transaction this time over the phone and do not have anything in writing except the copy of the check I paid her.

Offer her this:

Don't rely on either appraiser. You will send the diamonds to GIA, at your expense, for grading. If they come back F/VS2 as stated, you politely apologize and take it up with the appraiser. If they come back less than stated, she gives a full refund, plus the GIA fees plus shipping, plus the cost of the jeweler to take them out of the setting. Simple huh? Make this offer in writing. If she agrees, get her agreement in writing and do it. If it comes out wrong and she doesn't pay, sue her. If she doesn't agree, ask why not. Get THAT in writing and then sue her. If it comes out right, be happy.

She's in NJ. Where are you? Did you go to her store or did this deal happen over the internet? When did the deal happen?

I have purchased from her a few times on ebay, she goes by the user id globalfinediamonds3. Those purchases were given as gifts so did not bother to check the color or clarity. Just blindly trusted her as she has a 100% positive feedback. Did all the transaction this time over the phone and do not have anything in writing except the copy of the check I paid her .Will send her an email today with the option of the GIA .

Offer her this:

I just emailed you and her company today. Will update you if and when I get a reply. Thanks for all your help.

I have purchased from her a few times on ebay, she goes by the user id globalfinediamonds3. Those purchases were given as gifts so did not bother to check the color or clarity. Just blindly trusted her as she has a 100% positive feedback. Did all the transaction this time over the phone and do not have anything in writing except the copy of the check I paid her.

Looking at the eBay ads, she seems to run two return policies: one is a 7 day no questions asked, the other is "no return" paypal "buyer protection" (so called) only. Not a good sign.

Must say that there are so many red flags within her ads, that you were taking a big risk upfront.

Edited by davidelevi

Offer her this:

I just got an email from her yesterday night, she asked me to go ahead and sue her and I do not have a case as her EGL international certificates match with the color and clarity at www.eglnwmi.com.

EGL cert 3181142424 and 3181144729â€

OK, that's your path then. The issue is going to be whether or not she made a material misrepresentation about something or if she has violated her own policies in some way. You haven't given us enough info to tell if either of those things has occured. You already know from your appraisal that she hasn't used GIA grading standards and from the above reaction that she refuses to do so now, even at your expense. Now you need to go though her advertising and the receipt and see if she CLAIMED she was (or will). She's saying in the above response that SOMEONE called them F/VS2's and that's the end of it.

Doing the deal for a check, doing it outside of the ebay system, doing a deal without knowing the terms and conditions, and relying on a lab you know nothing about for grading was a bad plan. The fact that this seems to be an out-of-state individual, not an ongoing jewelry business makes it even harder. You may have a case if you want to take the time and expense to push it through but I would expect you to have difficult collecting at the end even if you win. If it's a matter of principle, talk to the court.

By the way, I agree about the Paypal 'protection' system. It' pretty bad even if you use it. Do not buy form sellers with 'no refund' policies. The T&C you want is that you have the right to show it to your friends, your mother and an appraiser of YOUR choice within some reasonable amount of time and if you decide that you're unhappy for any reason you can return it for a full refund. Then take it to an independent appraiser (as opposed to a competitive jeweler) for a full inspection and documentation, and make your decision. Always have the T&C in writing and always pay with a credit card.

Edited by denverappraiser

OK, that's your path then. The issue is going to be whether or not she made a material misrepresentation about something or if she has violated her own policies in some way. You haven't given us enough info to tell if either of those things has occured. You already know from your appraisal that she hasn't used GIA grading standards and from the above reaction that she refuses to do so now, even at your expense. Now you need to go though her advertising and the receipt and see if she CLAIMED she was (or will). She's saying in the above response that SOMEONE called them F/VS2's and that's the end of it.

Doing the deal for a check, doing it outside of the ebay system, doing a deal without knowing the terms and conditions, and relying on a lab you know nothing about for grading was a bad plan. The fact that this seems to be an out-of-state individual, not an ongoing jewelry business makes it even harder. You may have a case if you want to take the time and expense to push it through but I would expect you to have difficult collecting at the end even if you win. If it's a matter of principle, talk to the court.

Unfortunately it was a hard lesson learnt. I will eventually get a new GIA appraisal for it and sell it and take a few thousand dollar loss and try and sell the earrings. I have filed a report with BBB but I know they will not be able to help me either. Bad call on my part.

By the way, I agree about the Paypal 'protection' system. It' pretty bad even if you use it. Do not buy form sellers with 'no refund' policies. The T&C you want is that you have the right to show it to your friends, your mother and an appraiser of YOUR choice within some reasonable amount of time and if you decide that you're unhappy for any reason you can return it for a full refund. Then take it to an independent appraiser (as opposed to a competitive jeweler) for a full inspection and documentation, and make your decision. Always have the T&C in writing and always pay with a credit card.

At least she send me diamonds, could have been worse if she send me cz's and called it diamonds, would have been in the same position: BAD.

Paradoxically, if she had sent you CZ, you would have a fairly solid case in court - that is clearly misrepresentation if not outright fraud for misdescription. That doesn't mean you'd stand any more chances of getting your money back, but legally the situation would have been clearer.

I'm sorry that you got caught - and thank you very much for posting this and providing others with feedback and indications on what (and who) to avoid.

Best of luck for the resale; there is a classified board on the forum, and it does get a fair amount of views - maybe it can help (and it's free).