Need Some Advise!

abelt

I'm hunting for a engagement ring, and learn a lot from this website.. After looking around in my local jewelry stores, there's one diamond that I liked.

It's a Lazare Diamond with AGSL certificate. With my limited experience and knowledge, I can tell this diamond has better brilliance and fire than the EGL, so call excellent, ones. When using a blue mag/tool, I can even see the hearts and arrows. (Heard it a lot, it's way more beautiful to see than read)

AGS Cert

5.23-5.24x3.17mm

Round brilliant

Carat weight: 0.517

Color grade: D

Clarity Grade: SI 1

Cut grade: Ideal 0

Polish: Ideal

Symmetry: Ideal

Florescence: Negligible

Table: 56.1%

Depth: 60.6%

Crown angle 34.8 and 15.2%

Pavillion angle 41 and 43.2%

Culet: Pointed

Gridle: 1.0% to 3.8%

Price: 3.5K

I realize the clarity is only SI1, which isn't VS nor VVS grade. However, I couldn't see any bad in/on the diamond...etc with my own EYE, is this something call "Eye-Clean"? With a 10X mag, I do see pinpoints/crystal growth. (Which bugs me after see them in real)

Now I have a few questions which i hope i could find some answers:

1) Does this diamond worth 3.5k? Or it's only because it's "Lazare". After going to Bluenile, some similar ones can be found:

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, VS1, EX polish & symmerty, Fnt Flur

C$3K

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, VS1, EX polish & symmerty, None Flur

C$2.7K

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, SI1, EX polish & symmerty, Med Blue Flur

C$2.1K

2) The salesperson claims that Tiffany uses Lazare diamonds as well, is that true? I have googled a lot on Lazare and its company history, but still couldn't verify.

3) Is this diamond a "Triple Ideal Cut" or "Ideal Cut"?

4) The AGSL certificate is issued back in 2006 Feb, which is 6 yrs from now. Is this something that I should be worried?

Thanks and really appreciate for answers!

1) The price isn't only because it's a Lazare (Kaplan, I assume) diamond. In fact, this is a minor component in the price if at all. The vast majority is the nice shop, the pestering helpful sales people, the comfy sofa and the opportunity to see the diamond "in person", which particularly for an SI clarity stone has some value. Using online vendors, you'd struggle to pay more than $2500 for an equivalent stone at the highest service levels dealers - none of whom would spout the BS you have been subjected to. Is it worth it? Your call.

2) Maybe it is true; I have no idea. Would you pay 40% more for the gas you put in your car because it's the same gas that Ferrari uses?

3) AGS will call "ideal cut" a diamond that has ideal proportions, ideal symmetry and ideal polish. Whether you want to call that "triple ideal", "ideal" or "supercalifragilistiexpialidocious" is entirely up to you. It is a very well cut diamond.

4) Worried - no. Wary - yes. It is not particularly normal practice, and usually diamonds get sold a lot faster than in 6 years. Why has this diamond stuck around? Has it been damaged in any way since the report was issued? Is it even the same diamond? Has the diamond been set and sold, and repurchased? All of the above are possible - and in some cases it makes a difference, in some cases it does not. Ask the dealer why, and see what they say.

Now I have a few questions which i hope i could find some answers:

1) Does this diamond worth 3.5k? Or it's only because it's "Lazare". After going to Bluenile, some similar ones can be found:

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, VS1, EX polish & symmerty, Fnt Flur

C$3K

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, VS1, EX polish & symmerty, None Flur

C$2.7K

RD, 0.50, Sig Ideal, D, SI1, EX polish & symmerty, Med Blue Flur

C$2.1K

2) The salesperson claims that Tiffany uses Lazare diamonds as well, is that true? I have googled a lot on Lazare and its company history, but still couldn't verify.

3) Is this diamond a "Triple Ideal Cut" or "Ideal Cut"?

4) The AGSL certificate is issued back in 2006 Feb, which is 6 yrs from now. Is this something that I should be worried?

Thanks and really appreciate for answers!

1) Lazare distributes through a network of storefront type dealers. This is a more expensive distribution model but it comes with some benefits. Whether or not these benefits are worth the cost is up to you.

2) Yes, but who cares? If you want a Tiffany stone, buy it from Tiffany and pay their price. Who they hired to cut it is beside the point. Lazare is not the only company Tif works with by the way.

3) The 'triple' in 'triple ideal' refers to proportions, polish and symmetry. AGSL will not give an 'ideal' cut to any stone that doesn't get an 'ideal' grade in all three of the sub-components so functionally there is no difference between AGSL-ideal and AGSL-triple ideal. It's worth noting that there are other people who call things ideal that have very different rules.

4) Diamonds aren't perishable so the date isn't a huge deal beyond the concern that it may have been damaged during that 5 year window. BEFORE 2006 is a tricky thing because AGS changed the rules in 2005 for what constitutes ideal. As I recall, they offered the option in 2006 for people who wanted reports using the old system so it's worth figuring out which you have. AGSL should be able to tell you based on the report number. Ask.

Neil - re: the AGS change in cut grading system. I was under the impression that "old" rules were significantly (and probably needlessly) more restrictive, so that something that qualified as "ideal cut" under the pre-May (?) 2005 grading system would also be graded "ideal cut" in the new system. Am I wrong?