Nautical Settings?

techring

Hi,

I am looking at engagement rings and I know my girlfriend is very much into the styles you would see in the "Coastal Living" magazine. As part of my search I would like to review settings that have a nautical style, but I do no know where to look for such styles. Can anyone point me towards a designer who might have some nautical like styles? Or maybe you can suggest a related ring style that might appeal to her tastes?

Interesting question. A quick search does not seem to turn up anything that I would call "nautical" or even a particular style that I could identify as different from what offered by many though not advertised as specifically "nautical". This may be good - or it may be bad, because I may be missing the point.

Can you scan an image from Coastal Living where one (or more) of these "nautically styled" rings are visible? What sort of details would make them "nautical" in your (and your GF's) view?

I did not actually see a ring in Coastal Living. The reason I mentioned it was because I read the tutorials and they said that you might be able to use your GF's home decor style to give you hints on what style setting she might like. I think I have found a couple examples of a style she might like though. Here are some ideas, I would appreciate it if anyone could suggest some other similar styles or designers:post-129710-0-27299400-1328206263_thumb.jpgpost-129710-0-06887500-1328206264_thumb.jpgpost-129710-0-92791200-1328206261_thumb.jpg

Well, the good news is that at least the rope strands design is relatively common, though many manufacturers make it with pavé threads (which looks sparklier, but certainly is far less "nautical" and may be inappropriate if she goes sailing: it's more fragile). The other style ("single rope") I have not seen, but it is pretty easy to make.

The "bad" news is that there are literally thousands if not tens of thousands of people/companies/manufacturers that make or could make something like that - as such, your first task is to choose who you want to work with and how.

The first choice is to decide whether you want to go with a standard/catalogue design, or whether you want a custom piece. Custom will usually be more expensive, but you can choose exactly the design features you want (more diamonds, fewer diamonds, two strands, three strands, ...).

Some more questions to help me point you in the right direction:

• Where are you located?
  • What are your thoughts regarding the diamond (shape, size) and the overall budget?
  • How would you decide between designs? Would you take your GF to a shop and try some designs on? Or are you (is she) happy to proceed on the basis of CAD renderings or sketches?

Once you have figured out at least some of these, we can try to narrow it down to a few people/companies for you to contact or search for dealers.

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area in California.

The budget for the diamond will be ~$5k. I am thinking I will pay another $1k for the setting. Shape: round brilliant, Size: 1 ct (or around there). (feel free to let me know if my wants do not match my price range)

I am trying to do this on my own so I can surprise my GF. It looks like I will have to find pictures of the styles I like online, and take those pictures to a designer.

Hm. $1k for the setting rules out pretty much any sort of custom work (and probably any pave - but you both may be happier without it, if she is the sporting type).

A well cut round H/VS2 (looking white, definitely eye-clean) for $5k is easily feasible if you stay below 0.90. If you want a larger stone, you need to hunt for an SI stone where the inclusions are not visible (plenty of them; just cannot assume it), or get a stone with a warmer tint. In fact, you could save $800-1000 on the stone by sticking to 0.85 H/VS2, and getting a good custom-made ring (all metal, no other stones) for $1800-2000 in gold with the tweaks you want (or platinum in a plainer design). Or find the design (actually, you have found it) made for stock for $500-700 or so and pocket the difference!

I was hoping I could recommend someone local to you, but it's an area where I have no links, unfortunately. Would you be happy dealing remotely?

Edited by davidelevi

Thanks for all the help davidelevi!

You mentioned she might not want pave if she is the sporting type. I did not take that into consideration. What issues could arrise with pave?

Unfortunately I would not be comfortable working with someone I could not meet up with in person.

Two main issues:

1. Strength/durability: pavé stones will work themselves loose if the ring is bent/twisted/rubbed/shaken. None of the movement needs to be visible: it's not uncommon to find loose stones at the bottom of ultrasonic cleaners after a ring has been cleaned. Larger stones (accents/side stones) can be set much more securely, but even they need to be checked regularly if the ring gets a lot of mechanical stress. The metalwork itself needs to be drilled, cut and shaped, which inevitably makes the ring mechanically weaker than a properly worked solid piece.

2. Cost: pavé is expensive because it takes a lot of highly skilled work to do it properly, and the stones aren't free of charge either. A budget of $1k (or just below 2) is not enough in my view to have top quality work done in a platinum setting. Gold maybe, just about.

Aside from that, if she is really sporty, she may not like the delicate/expensive look, or she may be concerned about damage, enjoying the ring far less than she could. My sister trains and rides horses professionally; she never wears a couple of nice pieces that she has because she is worried about ruining them - and we made them as sturdy as we could, without any pavé... Then again - she mangles stainless steel watch bracelets quite regularly, so perhaps she is right. Of course she would not wear jewellery when riding, but she is afraid to forget and there are security concerns as well. All this with a bracelet and necklace that one does not wear all the time. With an ER, it's even more stressful (higher value, worn all the time, more exposed, symbolic meaning/memory).

Edited by davidelevi