First Time Buyer, Build A Ring Worth It? (Loose Diamond + Setting)

bayouadrnk

First time looking to buy an engagement ring. I have spoken with my GF, we know what we both like and dont like. Now its just a matter of me finding the right thing. One avenue that seems to be a better bargain is to buy a loose diamond, as you can get them for wholesale prices, then buy a setting seperateley, and have the two put together.

My question is, would this be worth the perceived savings? I can find certified loose diamonds for a fraction of the cost of a ready-to-go ring. When I shop for the setting, and put the two together, price wise, the cost is much lower.

Am I missing something? Should i stick to the typical purchase of something already made?

And to follow up, Here is a loose diamond I found. Seems almost too good a deal, which usually means it is. But it has a IGL certificate included. thoughts?

Shape: Round

Weight: 1.55 Carat

Color: G

Clarity: SI2

Laboratory: IGL Certificate(Online Verification)

Cut: Very Good

Total Depth: 65.63%

Table Size: 58.00%

Comments: Genuine Natural

(enhanced)

Price: $2,545 ($7.353 estimated retail)

And to follow up, Here is a loose diamond I found. Seems almost too good a deal, which usually means it is. But it has a IGL certificate included. thoughts?

Shape: Round

Weight: 1.55 Carat

Color: G

Clarity: SI2

Laboratory: IGL Certificate(Online Verification)

Cut: Very Good

Total Depth: 65.63%

Table Size: 58.00%

Comments: Genuine Natural

(enhanced)

Price: $2,545 ($7.353 estimated retail)

Make sure you understand what ‘enhanced’ means. It’s a big deal. Correction, it's a HUGE deal. Also be aware that different labs do not use the same general grading standards. Do not try to compare one lab’s grading with anothers as a way of identifying a bargain. What is it about that that offer that seems too good to be true?

Back to your first post. I would definitely recommend buying the center diamond and the mounting separately, even if you buy them and the assembly labor from the same source. It’s not a matter of wholesale vs. retail, it’s a matter of accurately getting what you are paying for. Tiny details make a big difference in this business and the dealers tend to sell things pre-set precisely because it allows them to overlook things that they don’t want to mention. Some dealers do indeed have cheaper prices than others on similar goods, and it's even possible that you've found a reasonably priced outfit but so far I'm not impressed. I've not seen the stone but if it were graded using GIA methodology it's entirely possible (probable even) that it's an I2/J and a 'good' cut. That's not such an unreasonable price if that's what you want but I'm guessing this isn't what the seller is telling you. The $7353 estimated retail is an interesting statement. On what planet?