Advice On This 1.5Ct. Round Brilliant?

Ttxcs

I'm in the search for a round diamond, around $18000, F color, VS2.

I found this on JA and would like some advice on this. I am not sure it's the right price for this specs but it seems fit into my budget.

1.5 Carat

Excellent Cut, Polish, Symmetry

F color

VS2

GIA

61.2 Depth

57 Table

Medium Girdle

None Culet

None Fluorescence

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1430381.asp

Edited by Ttxcs

It looks OK on paper; there are few, rare VS2 that have inclusions visible to the unaided eye, but this seems perfectly clean, even using a 9x magnification - ask JA to check the visibility of the included crystals if you have any concerns.

Other than that, it seems OK and priced quite competitively - I am not sure what you are worried about.

It looks OK on paper; there are few, rare VS2 that have inclusions visible to the unaided eye, but this seems perfectly clean, even using a 9x magnification - ask JA to check the visibility of the included crystals if you have any concerns.

Other than that, it seems OK and priced quite competitively - I am not sure what you are worried about.

Thank you. I will ask JA about the visibility.

And i have another question, i asked on elsewhere and seems nobody is answering me so i am asking here as well.

There is a 1.43 ct, E color, VS2 i'm comparing with.

1.43 Carat

E color

VS2

GIA

61 Depth

57 Table

Thin to slightly thick Girdle

None Culet

None Fluorescence

This 1.43 is $320 less than the 1.5, so i can say it's almost the same price it's just the color grade is different.

Which one seems to be a better choice? And the girdle rate different, how different will it make?

Thx

143-E-VS23.jpg

15-F-VS23.jpg

Edited by Ttxcs

The girdle will make very little difference to light reflection, however it will make the diamond look slightly smaller for the same weight. Compare the diameters of the two stones, bearing in mind that less than ~0.10 mm you will not see even with the stones next to each other, and less than ~0.20 you will not see without the two stones side-by-side.

Of the two diamonds, the one that seems by far the better bargain based on the info you have posted is the 1.50. On paper, I prefer its cut parameters, and a stone that reaches 1.50 (as opposed to "nearly but not quite") is going to sell for more per carat. E vs F once set will be impossible to tell the difference. Whether it is the one that you (or the recipient) prefers, is a different question.

The girdle will make very little difference to light reflection, however it will make the diamond look slightly smaller for the same weight. Compare the diameters of the two stones, bearing in mind that less than ~0.10 mm you will not see even with the stones next to each other, and less than ~0.20 you will not see without the two stones side-by-side.

Of the two diamonds, the one that seems by far the better bargain based on the info you have posted is the 1.50. On paper, I prefer its cut parameters, and a stone that reaches 1.50 (as opposed to "nearly but not quite") is going to sell for more per carat. E vs F once set will be impossible to tell the difference. Whether it is the one that you (or the recipient) prefers, is a different question.

I heard the price per carat is based on those margin, 1.0, 1.5, once it reaches this "magic" number, price goes up like crazy. It's just the letter "E" and "F" people might feel it's less valuable than the others.

As you had mention the less than ~0.20 i ain't able to see the different side-by-side. I am going to bring up another question. Sorry i have so many to ask. I just have to be sure, overall it's a big purchase. Don't want to regret it later.

There is a stone, 1.3 ct, E, VS2 $3000 less than the 1.5.

1.3 Carat

E color

VS2

GIA

61.4 Depth

56 Table

Thin to medium Girdle

None Culet

None Fluorescence

13-E-VS23.jpg

How does it look compare to the 1.5? It see some crystal/feather on the table, i will once again as JA about that. Does it look okay to you? Compare these 2 again (i'm sure this is the last comparison i'm asking) which one will be a better choice? This ring picking processing is so frustrating.

Thank you again.

Edited by Ttxcs

Depth and table are not enough to even guess on cut. I understand that you want to remove links/references to avoid the stones being snatched under your very eyes, but even just providing the GIA or AGS report number allows a quick check of the report without disclosing where it is for sales. Alternatively, if you could please at the least point out the crown and pavilion angle, it would help in the comparison.

Apart from that, Liz has it absolutely right - value is in the eye of the beholder. Is having the bragging rights of "it's a 1.50 carat" worth an extra $3000? Only you can answer!

All three show very nice cuts and will all be brilliant with maximum light reflected from the stone.

Just a matter on if you want the larger diamond at a higher price...

Ask JA about what they see as far as inclusions go....but I bet they are both "eye-clean"

Thanks. It's the inclusions and extra 3K i'm considering.

Bummer - cannot see the images. It must be a connection issue! Will try again from another network.

In case the image still wasn't showing. Here is the specs of the 1.3

1.3 Carat

E color

VS2

GIA

61.4 %Depth

56 %Table

35 Crown

40.8 Pavilion

Thin to medium Girdle

None Culet

None Fluorescence

Crystal and Feather on the table and side.

Thanks - and sorry for the technology mess up.

#3 looks as good as the other two - always on paper. The question remains one of "value" or personal preference. FWIW, I would be tempted to go with the 1.32 and spend the "savings" on a nicer setting, a pair of earrings, something for yourself or really save them (though don't ask me where to invest them, in this day and age) - but this is my personal preference. Second strategy is to go with #1 and plump for the "full monty and a half". #2 looks lame to me: you will get a slightly smaller diamond that looks pretty much the same in all the other respects, and pay the same price.