Advice On This 1 Carat Round Brilliant Cut Diamond And Setting

rnguyen

Hello, I am getting towards the finish line and may have settled on this diamond.

1.00 carat, I color, VS2 clarity, Very Good cut grade.

Excellent polish and symmetry, none culet, Strong Blue fluorescence.

Medium - slightly thick faceted (4.5%), 57% table, 62.7% depth.

6.32 - 6.37 x 3.98 mm

Should I keep looking? Thanks everyone.

Edited by rnguyen

Um. "Good value" is in the eye of the beholder. Both diamonds are priced competitively, but I cannot find them listed on Blue Nile. Are you sure they are still available?

It seems that the reason the I/VS2 got a VG cut grade is the girdle going over 4%, and the diamond is (on paper) slightly smaller than it should be. In practice, it may look slightly smaller than the best cut full carat diamond when you are looking at both stones side by side, but it won't make a lot of difference in real life.

The J/VS2 seems a nice stone, but it is not significantly better cut, other than a slightly thinner girdle - the effects of which will be undetectable without tools. A well cut J will still look white, but it may show a slight yellow tint when observed from the side. If this doesn't bother you, it may be worth saving $400.

Edited by davidelevi

Um. "Good value" is in the eye of the beholder. Both diamonds are priced competitively, but I cannot find them listed on Blue Nile. Are you sure they are still available?

It seems that the reason the I/VS2 got a VG cut grade is the girdle going over 4%, and the diamond is (on paper) slightly smaller than it should be. In practice, it may look slightly smaller than the best cut full carat diamond when you are looking at both stones side by side, but it won't make a lot of difference in real life.

The J/VS2 seems a nice stone, but it is not significantly better cut, other than a slightly thinner girdle - the effects of which will be undetectable without tools. A well cut J will still look white, but it may show a slight yellow tint when observed from the side. If this doesn't bother you, it may be worth saving $400.

Thanks for the response.

The 1st one is currently on hold for me until they can ship it to me with the setting, and the 2nd one is still available I just checked.

So you're saying the 1st one probably would have been graded an excellent cut if it didn't go over 4% for the girdle? And yeah I noticed as well it is a little bit smaller than similar 1 carat diamonds on paper. I probably would be leaning towards that one still as I like the fluorescence, I think my gf would appreciate the color change in sunlight. I'll have to consider the J one as well, although the yellow tint may be bothersome.

Edited by rnguyen

The girdle thickness seems to be the grade-driving factor using GIA's Facetware Cut Estimator (https://www.gia.edu/facetware/). This is a slightly controversial feature of the GIA (and AGS) cut grading system, since the grade puts together visual size with light reflection and refraction.

Setting: I'm not keen on that design; you are. Neither thing matters much. What does she like?

The girdle thickness seems to be the grade-driving factor using GIA's Facetware Cut Estimator (https://www.gia.edu/facetware/). This is a slightly controversial feature of the GIA (and AGS) cut grading system, since the grade puts together visual size with light reflection and refraction.

Setting: I'm not keen on that design; you are. Neither thing matters much. What does she like?

I see, using that software if that diamond only had a girdle thickness of 4% it would have been "excellent".

She is not sure what she likes, she knows what she DOESN'T like, so that works for me to surprise her.

The girdle thickness thing is a pet peeve of mine with the GIA cut trading system. Too thin I get, that’s a durability risk but with too thick the complaint is that it will face up smaller than a similar weight stone with different proportions. Since people usually are paying by weight, it presumes that you are getting less for your money than a stone of similar weight with a thinner girdle. Possibly so, but the problem with this is that it’s based on PRICE, and price is not a gemological property. Is it better cut if it’s cheaper?

Edited by denverappraiser