Could Anyone Give Me An Opinion About These Diamonds, Please?

tqttong

Not much to choose from... they are all nice stones. The Union Diamond will look different from the B2C and Blue Nile stones. I would guess the Abazias stone is the same as the B2C stone. Which would you prefer? I don't know; this is where personal taste comes into the equation.

FWIW, I would rank them BN, B2C, UD for cut and B2C, BN, UD for "value for money", but these are guesses based on the reports and my personal preferences, not on seeing the diamonds (and seeing is the only way to discriminate at this point).

One thing I don't understand: why are you going for "F/IF"? If the argument goes "I won't see the difference between D and F" (true), the same holds true for the difference between IF and VS1 and most likely VS2 as well.

Edited by davidelevi

I chose for colour: F and clarity: F/IF cause F.F. are the initials of her name ...

Since she was born on the 2nd of November, I have three options to chose about carat: 11.2, 2.11, or 1.12.

Unfortunately, my financial resources are limited and 11.2 or 2.11 carats would be too expensive.

The only option left for me is to find a stone:

Colour : F

Clarity : F/IF

Carat: 1.12

and even then to find a stone with these specification is already hard enough, so 1.12 carats is only optional...

I fully agree with you that I cannot discern about D or F neither can I see the difference between IF and VVS2 ...

Correct me if I am wrong, but if personal taste comes into the equation and seeing a stone is the definite way to decide, are you to imply that I should not buy loose diamonds over online stores?

I love your reasonig. I agree, an 11.2/D/F would be a marvelous idea. It's a pity about the budget requirement.

Back to the subject at hand, this is a prime target for a direct and personal contact with the jeweler. They actually have access to a fair number of stones that aren't listed on their websites or in their showrooms. I haven't looked but a 1.12/F/IF doesn't sound like an impossible task.

[snip]

Correct me if I am wrong, but if personal taste comes into the equation and seeing a stone is the definite way to decide, are you to imply that I should not buy loose diamonds over online stores?

Well - all those stones are a very safe buy: you are picking at the top of the market for cut. And you can ask for photos and/or video, although not from those dealers. The other point of view is to look at the online purchase as a fee for viewing, and consider the purchase complete only when you have decided.

If you were to ask any dealer to get hold of all 1.12 F/IF stones for you to inspect in person, I doubt anyone could, so you'd be left traipsing all over the world to see them anyway. The "online disadvantage" is rather moot. My point is that at that level personal preferences for e.g. a steep (or a shallow) crown are the only thing that enables you to choose.

BTW - there's 3 1.12 F/IF advertised for sale on the Diamond Finder. One is the BN stone you already found, but there's another two, if you are interested. And there's another 25 or so 1.11 or 1.13.

• Like 1

Thank you davidelevi

I have search for 1.12 in the Diamond Finder. There are indeed 3 available. Two coming from BN and the other one comes from Abazias. All three have a cut at about 62.x% and all three have an excellent table percentage ranging from 55% to 58%.

The only put off of the other two diamonds was the fact that they have flourescence.

I really do not know exactly what flourescence would do to the stone, I guess nothing and it is something may be irrelevant...

May be someone can enlighten me on flourescence of a diamond? I have read in another review that flourescence does not have any effect on diamonds?

Thanks for your reply denverappraiser,

FYI, my financial resources are at 20000 Euros so approximately USD 26000. I think this is a reasonable budget for the stone I have had in mind. BTW I would like to set it in a white (her favorite colour) E-ring, so I guess Platinum would be a good choice. White gold is an alloy, sometimes with nickel added and she is allergic to nickel...

1.12 F/(I)F is indeed not impossible. But may be I should not buy from an online store as davidelevi suggested, cause I cannot see and judge the stone.

I have already contacted Cartier in Paris and they told me that they have an F / VVS1 / 1.13 / Exc Cut and willing to set for me on a Pt-950 Solitair 1895 for an amazing price of 19700 Euros, they do not have an F/(I)F 1.12 at hand and they cannot promise to get it either.

So just to see the diamond I dropped by Cartier doing Xmas shopping in Paris a few days ago. The Cartier experience is amazing and how they treat costumers is fabulous. But I was a little bit disappointed in the diamond. This is why:

Before I went to Cartier in went to Tiffany's in Paris. They showed me an H/VS2/1.04/Ex Cut for 12600 Euros set on a Tiffany's setting with 6 prongs on a Pt-950. It was sparkling so much that I thought: I am to buy this ring, but luckily for me, my best friend hold me back and told me to go to Cartier first and make the decision later on.

BTW Tiffany's was willing to find me an F / IF / 1.12 / Exc Cut, but it may take 8 weeks and the price is approximately 17000-18000 Euros.

In comparison to the H/VS2/1.04/Exc Cut at Tiffany's, the F / VVS1 / 1.13 / Ex cut Cartier did not sparkle at all... it seemed to me very dull and did not show any luster at all. That's why I am disappointed in Cartier.

Can anyone explain it to me? Was it the light at Cartier or the setting/ring design that did not have the sparkling effect compared to Tiffany's?

Edited by tqttong

So if I have understood the article correctly > fluorescence has no single effect on colour or transparency of a diamond...

Yes. The effect will vary with the lighting environment, the degree of fluorescence, the characteristics of the individual stone and observer. In general, though, the effects are not strong and almost never detrimental to the appearance.

To answer your question on Cartier: I think lighting is most likely to blame. But this proves my point about the impossibility of comparing "in real life" and on the other hand the need to understand your preferences and what drives them if you want to get into the finest details.

BTW I never said you should not purchase online; I consistently pointed out that if you want to know which diamond you prefer, you will have to see them.

Edited by davidelevi
  • Like 1

Now I am completely confused...

Option A: Buying online and get a F/IF/1.12/Exc Cut for about $16210 at BN and have it set ...so I guess it will be $17500

Option B1: Wait for Tiffany's to find me an F/IF/1.12/Exc Cut for 17000-18000 Euros, so about 19000 Euros when set in a ring

Option B2: Take the F / VVS1 / 1.13 / Ex cut at Cartier for 19700 Euros (I prefer the design by Cartier over Tiffany's)

Option B3: I like the design of Harry Winston E-Ring most, so buy a stone+ring at Harry Winston in Paris and they told me I can even come up with my own design (of course limited by their rules). Price starting at 22000 Euros

Option B4: DeBeers in Paris told me this > Finding an F/IF/1.12 Exc Cut is the most easiest part :), this stone is nothing too exceptional. They can present me this diamond within 2 weeks completely GIA certified. Price ranges 19000-22000 Euros including setting in a ring.

Option C: Is there an option C?

So, buying online would save me some money, but I do not have the option to have a live look at the diamond itself.

Any other jeweller like Cartier, HW, Tiffany's or DeBeers are more costly but I can examine and see the stone when it is set in a ring, at DeBeers and HW it is even possible to design a ring ...

It is so nice to live near Paris, they have everything here :) ... only Graff is missing in Paris, he has his closest store to me is in London...

Edited by tqttong

Put it this way - if you want to see the diamond, you can order from any online vendor and have typically between 30 and 60 days to return if you don't like it. This is better - from an inspection point of view - than having a ready made ring, but if you are relying on brands like Cartier, TIffany or Harry Winston you don't have anything to fear.

By the time you add VAT/IVA on at 20% or so, the advantage of the online price goes down to about 10%. You can skip (evade, effectively) VAT by getting a cheap ticket to the US, getting the diamond sent there and return to Paris without declaring the ring, but it's not the most convenient of things, unless you want to propose in the US.

As to confusion - I don't see what you should be confused about. There's thousands of jewellers and tens of thousands of designs. You have narrowed it down to 4 or 5. The tough part is to decide what you would like best.

IF/F/FF (faint fluorescence) seems GOOD to me in your situation. It has no visible effect on diamonds under normal viewing conditions. It tends to bring the price down and it makes resale difficult. In the aggregate, that seems like a good thing.

It's harder in Europe but, at least here, most jewelers can get the very same stones that you're seeing advertised online although they usually need to charge a little bit more for them because of their higher overheads. If you've got a favorite jeweler, ask. It's not necessary to go to the 'branded' jewelers unless you put value on the brand itself. The stones themselves are no different. It's still just a rock and God made it, not Graff, not DeBeers and not GIA.

• Like 1