Need Urgent Advice On Diamonds

Athena

PLEASE HELP...

I'm trying to choose between 2 diamonds...

A: 1.56 carat, D color, VS1, EX, EX, EX. Medium Blue Fluorescence.

B: 1.50 carat, D color, VVS1, EX, EX, EX. Fluorescence None.

On the GIA cert., both has a slight inclusion on the Table. The one on A is said to be a "crystal" on the cert, the latter a "pin point".

On the GCAL cert, both rocks are rated Excellent in terms of Brilliance and Optical Symmetry.

B is 14% more expensive than A.

Is one grade better in Clarity and the absence of Fluoresence worth the 14% difference in price?Which one would you recommend in terms of Value for Money and Investment Value?

THANKS A TON!

For investment value, buy something else. Diamonds are a terrible investment for a consumer.

Yes, the difference in price is largely the clarity and fluorescence.. Assuming they are cut equally well (and appealing to you), I'd go for the cheaper stone. Bear in mind that GIA Excellent covers a lot of ground (and GCAL does not release its grading standards) so two stones that are graded Excellent can still look rather dissimilar from each other. If you cannot see the diamonds in person, ask the vendor.

Inclusions in a VS1 or higher stone are only useful for identification with a loupe or a microscope.There is no way you will see the difference between VS1 and VVS1 without some training and a good loupe even when the stones are loose; once they are set, it may very well be impossible to see for anyone.

Look at both of the stones under regular room lighting, maybe take it outside into the sun if the dealer agrees to let you do that. See if you can tell the difference between the stones, if you can't tell the difference, how would anyone else tell the difference? I would go with the bigger and lower cost stone if I can't tell. Ask yourself, when was the last time you saw anyone wifes comparing diamonds on their finger while at the wedding? Well at least, I've never and usually everyone is polite and ask to see the ring, not compare the ring.

Thank you all for your help and expert advice. I ordered the diamond online and could not compare the two stones in person. The site has requested a visual inspection for me, and the inspector commented that the Medium Blue Fluorescence did not cause milkiness, oiliness or haziness when the stone was viewed under both UV light or normal lighting inside the vault. I have ordered the bigger and less expensive stone as you have recommended. Thank you again!

BTW, I started 2 threads because I saw the "Forum Guidelines" AFTER I posted the first thread. This one contains a specific headline, and included tons of "please" and "thank you" on my question. I did not start 2 threads just to get attention.

Anyway, thank you all again.

Let us know if you like it, and please post a picture if you can. We love to see diamonds.

The issue with the double post is not saying thank you and please - even though it's appreciated; it's to your advantage to have one single thread to discuss one single issue. My apologies if the tone of my reply caused offence., and best of luck with the diamond, the ring and the engagement!

No offence taken. I understand that having two threads with essentially the same question causes confusions, but I could not delete the thread.

Anyway, I'm hoping the receive the ring this Saturday. Otherwise, I might have to wait until after Christmas.

It's not an engagement ring, I have already been married for 11 years. Rather, this is a "right hand ring" -- a diamond ring I bought for myself. I lost a 3-stone ring (one 1 carat diamond with 2 .75 stones) during an event last Tuesday. It was my only diamond ring (another right hand ring), and I was devastated. Hope this one will stay with me forever.

Thank you all for your great advice and kind help. Will copy the picture on the website where I bought the ring and post it a bit later.

Cheers,

Ouch. Sorry for your loss; I hope this one is a good replacement from a visual point of view - the memories and connections to the lost ring are irreplaceable, but they are with you as much as they were with the ring.

And sorry again for misreading the situation - most people here ask for help on an engagement ring. I don't seem to have much good luck (or judgement) in this thread... ;)

Interestingly enough, a stone with a bluish tinge in the 1970s/80s would have been sold for a premium, and now it goes for a discount...

If the photo has been taken in sunlight (as it seems), it's definitely not an overblue, and I like the proportions on your finger. Live with it for a couple of days in sunlight and indoor lighting before deciding finally whether to keep it or not.

Is it common for diamonds with medium blue fluorescence to appear bluish under direct sunlight or spotlights with UV? Mine looks very blue under these lightings, close to the cool-blue stripe under my name on this post. I didn't expect a stone with "medium blue fluorescence" to look this blue. :blink: Luckily, the stone does not appear milky, oily or hazy.

Is this bluish tone a bad thing? :wacko:

Under a UV light it will look blue, for sure. Not sure what you mean by "spotlight with UV", though.

It's not a bad thing at all, from my point of view: there is no downside and it goes for a 5-10% discount. Thanks, I'll take it.

You may also want to read this - a GIA study from a few years ago on the effects of fluorescence on colourless/near colourless diamonds which came up with some surprising conclusions. http://lgdl.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

All good advice above...

There are some people I know like the blueish tint in their diamonds. It really is a matter of preference. If you like the stone that's all that matters. I do agree with Neil however that the "blue" tint is not from the fluorescence. That would be noticeable under fluorescent lights or black lights in the club. I would be interested in knowing your decision after you've had it for a few days. Post back when you get the chance.

Sorry for the confusion. By spotlight, I meant the halogen lamp on my desk.

While I don't mind the light bluish tint, I just want to make sure that there is nothing WRONG with this stone. I got worried because I learned from all your expert advice that the blue fluorescence should not be noticeable, as long as I don't go to tanning parlours or discos.

Please accept my apology for going on and on about a small issue like this, which must be so annoying for everybody. This is by far my most expensive jewelry purchase, and I've had a pretty bad year thus far -- lowered earnings, a miscarriage, couple of small accidents, and most recently, the loss of my three-stone ring. :(

I just to make sure ... :rolleyes:

Um - a halogen spotlight _normally_ has virtually no UV. Single-wall bulbs are usually protected by a separate UV filter, and the second glass in double-walled bulbs is a UV filter. Are you sure that the blue is not something in the environment?

In any case, no there is nothing wrong with it - if you like it. And don't worry about needing reassurance; as you say it's a lot of money and a lot of bad karma you are trying to negotiate with... :)

Your inquiry is not annoying at all. I would recommend you take the stone to a local jeweler or two to see what they say. Good honest jewelers would have no problem looking at your stone and giving you a second opinion. Everyone here is trying to help but unless we see the stone our info won't be 100% accurate. So for peace of mind, I suggest you go to one maybe 2 jewelers/appraisers in your area and have them check out the stone. :) Good luck

Thank you all. I really appreciate your sincere help and advice.

I'm planning to take it to an appraiser, for insurance purpose. As to bringing it to a jeweler for a second opinion, I have a bit of hesitation. Where I live, jewelers tend to criticize your diamonds and tell you that what they sell are much better.

It's so true that as long as I like the stone, it's all that matters.

Will let you know what the appraiser says after the holidays. :)