Advice On Diamond

abcgt2l

Looking for any thoughts on this diamond. Looks "good" to me, however I have looked at some many they all look good to me. Not sure if I should be concerned about the feather. Also how can it be rated excellant with a 59% table.

GIA (2131042142) , 1.40 ct , G COLOR , VS1

Dimension : 7.14 * 7.20 * 4.43

polish , Symmetry , Cut : Excellent

Culet , Flourescence : None

Table : 59%

Table Height : 61.8%

Crown Height : 14%

Crown angle : 34

Pavilion : 41.6

Pavilion Depth : 44

Gridle : slightly thick 3.5%

price : 14,500 USD .

Any thoughts on price???

Not sure I agree - the HCA does not add any particularly blinding insight compared to a GIA cut grade - which includes rather more information, and is "excellent" in this case. Garry Holloway simply does not like (personal preference) diamonds with a pavilion angle greater than 41 degrees. Do you?

The feather is absolutely nothing to worry about. In a VS1 you'll have a tough time finding it with a 10x loupe.

Price is OK, though close to the top of the market. Is it justified? That's a question to ask the vendor!

Which brings up my question: listed on the diamond finder are about 250 other stones which are comparable for size, colour and clarity. At least 70% of these are graded EX or VG for cut. Why did you pick this particular one?

Just been offered a different diamond GIA #5131753071. Higher color rating, however lower clearity. I have seen diamond yet, however any thoughts between the two would be great. Price of this diamond is also $14,500.

1.42 ct , E COLOR , VS2

Dimension : 7.17 * 7.20 * 4.49

Table : 56%

Crown Height : 16%

Crown angle : 36%

John: Both colour and clarity you will not see the difference between these two. Where you may see the difference is in the cut - but there isn't enough information in your post to even guess if a] there is a difference and b] which way it is likely to go.

Repeat - the HCA is not relevant when you have a GIA cut grade.

As to "locate a better one" - that's precisely my point. There are 200+ listed here - all for sale. Open listing - just click and check. Some slightly more expensive, quite a few less. If you expand it to +/- 1 clarity and +/- 1 colour grade from F/VS1, you will find over 1500 stones. Colour and clarity-wise they will all look the same once set. You picked 2. Why these? Presumably you think they are better than the other 1498, but based on what?

What specs are you looking at and how are you deciding they are well priced? Have you seen several diamond colours and clarity grades and decided that F/VS1 is the right one for you? What about H/VS2?

ETA - checking the GIA report, this seems better cut. But there is a significant component of personal taste. If you can, I would look at both carefully and possibly decide on neither.

Edited by davidelevi

Just been offered a different diamond GIA #5131753071. Higher color rating, however lower clearity. I have seen diamond yet, however any thoughts between the two would be great. Price of this diamond is also $14,500.

1.42 ct , E COLOR , VS2

Dimension : 7.17 * 7.20 * 4.49

Table : 56%

Crown Height : 16%

Crown angle : 36%

Why did they leave out the depth and pavilion angle?