Opinions Sought For A Gia Round Diamond

dk123

Hello All,

I was lucky enough to stumble across this great board, as I've been able to find answers to many of my initial questions. I've got a rock narrowed down and will be able to look at it within the next few days, so I thought I’d post and see what you all have to say. First time poster and diamond newb so I apologize in advance for any lingo mistakes or obvious ignorance. So thank you in advance for any insight you might be able to provide and I look forward to a third party unbiased opinion.

I'm in the market for an engagement ring, the diamond I'm giving serious consideration has the following specs with a screenshot of the GIA report attached: 1.16ct. GIA/SI1/F round brilliant.

The things that I like and are comfortable with are that it is colorless, has excellent cut, excellent polish, and excellent symmetry.

Being a newb, some things I admittedly don't fully understand are the measurements and proportions. The specs appear to fall within the recommended guidelines that I've found, but it would be great if someone can confirm that these parameters are indeed great or if there are any related concerns that I should be aware of. Will these parameters limit the diamond in any way?

Also, in the reference diagrams of the attached GIA report, I see quite a few red markings which naturally concerns me. My local jeweler told me that these types of inclusions should not be visible to the naked eye although they will be visible under 10x magnification, and that we'll be able to tell for sure when we see the diamond. I'm comfortable with the inclusions only being visible under 10x magnification, however I am concerned that perhaps a few of them will be visible to the naked eye and that I won't be able to catch them as I have an untrained eye.

• What matters and what doesn't matter in terms of being visible to the naked eye and/or diminishing the sparkle?
  • Any "sniff tests" or other techniques I can use at the store to make sure I'm not missing anything?
  • Do the various types of inclusions fall into a category of "visible" or "not visible" to the naked eye or are they all different on a case by case basis?

Also since there are so many inclusions identified on the report,

• should I be concerned that they will diminish the sparkle and beauty of the diamond?
  • Should the fact that the GIA report identified so many inclusions raise a red flag?
  • Is it normal for an SI1 to have so many inclusions?

I spent a fair amount of time over the weekend looking at diamonds. I was able to find inclusions using a loupe, however when I look with my naked eye I only see sparkles. How can I look past the sparkles and find any visible inclusions? Should I be concerned with the “surface graining†listed on the comments? Any advice on what pitfalls I should look out for when buying an SI1? Any other advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Edited by dk123
  • Like 1

Hi dk123, a GIA XXX stone should be lovely. However, as you'll hear a lot on these boards, perfect on paper may not be perfect for you. Only when you have the diamond in front of you can you say with certainty if this is the look that you prefer.

Unfortunately the same goes for clarity. Your diamond's plot doesn't concern me right off the bat. Those main lines with x's at each end are twinning wisps. Under magnification they appear wisp-like and at their most concentrated they can look a bit like the wrinkles left when you flatten out a used sheet of cling wrap. They are usually the least noticeable type of inclusion. However, I haven't seen the diamond and all the plot will tell you is the location, general size, and what it is. The plot can't tell you what color they are, how dense, etc. And yes, it is normal for an SI to have a fair amount of inclusions. The watchword for an SI stone is that it will have a 'noticeable' amount of inclusions under 10x. I wouldn't be too concerned with surface graining either if it's in the comments section. The comments section is generally more for identifying purposes and for full disclosure, they aren't grade making in the least bit.

It is definitely possible for this stone to be eye clean. That is depending of course, on your definition. Some people just care if it's eyeclean from 8-10 inches away and only care about the face up view. Others may want it to be eye clean from all angles and pressed right up against their eyeball.

Well, now that i've written you a novel, sorry about that, I suggest that you go and see the diamond like you planned. If you love it in person, and in a variety of lighting sources, and the price is right, then go for it. And don't forget to bring us pictures!

David - Great point, thank you!

A follow up question: Should I give any weight to the fact that the GIA report was prepared several months ago? I assume that just as with anything else, the great diamonds are usually the first to go. I would hate to be the guy that fell for the good specs and finally purchased this sucker stone after months of it being on the market.

The top part of the report is cut off, so I can't tell how few is "a few months", but if it is really a few months, nothing to worry about. A couple of years may indicate that there is something odd, and many years may well be a sign of something wrong (if purchased from a dealer). It's a bit of an uncommon combination with F and SI1, but if you (or she) are colour sensitive and like icy white it's a good choice for "value".

In any case, it doesn't at all look like a "sucker stone" from the report - whether it is in reality, as Megan said, only your eyes can tell!

Thanks again David. It is not more than 3 months so its good to hear that there is no issue there.

I went with the F SI1, because when compared with an H stone I was able to notice a color difference. Not a major difference, but enough that it would bother me just knowing about it. I went with SI1 because I'm not too concerned about anything that you need magnification to see as long as it does not otherwise diminish the beauty of the stone.

You mention that it likely will show an "icy white" color. Is that because of the F color grade or is that specific to the F SI1 combination?

You're very welcome... Now on to your color question. The GIA classifies the D to F Range as 'colorless', while the G to J range as 'near colorless'. So an H colored diamond will show more body color when compared to an F colored diamond. Although the color difference is usually only noted through the side of the stone at this point.