3.01 Ct Round Ags= Opinion On Table

Lucky Guy

HI Everyone,

I would like your opinion on this diamond.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond_ld02183531?rf=pd

I'm about to pull the trigger but was curious what the expert opinion is on the low table percentage. The ring will be set in an antique style ring, kind of recessed I suppose.

Also, does the price of $36.5 sound like a fair price?

I'm waiting to hear back if the diamond is eye clean.

• Like 1

What makes you say that 55.2 is a "low table percentage"? Particularly in a large stone, and particularly if you want a bit of an "olde worlde" look, it is a perfectly reasonable measure.

The price is reasonable, though it may be an indication that the inclusion is somewhat visible. Make sure that you (and your chosen expert) see the diamond before it is set and inspect it again after setting with the opportunity to return both diamond and setting without penalty (other than the setting labour and shipping).

The reason I'm curious is because most of the diamonds I'm seeing have a table of 58% or slightly greater. Without seeing the diamond, I'm not sure if it will look readily different compared to others. Sounds like it will if you're saying it would have an old world look.

That brings up another question...The diamond will be loose and will need to be set. So, how does one take this diamond to a jeweler with some confidence and trust. Sorry, I don't have a family jeweler or expert that I can trust, new to area. I'm a bit paranoid not to mention no one I can find will insure a loose diamond while the darn thing gets set.

I have been happy with the online vendor thus far having sent back one diamond already without any issues (changed the setting, therefore a different diamond needed to be ordered)

It will look slightly different because of the table - you are looking at a difference of 0.3 mm compared to a 50% table, which is going to be visible in direct comparison but difficult to detect if you are just looking at one stone at a time. My "olde worlde" comment was about the stone in general: high crown, slightly shorter lower girdle and an interesting ASET image. I think it's a lovely stone, probably with more character than a typical (or stereotypical) superideal modern cut.

How do you take this to someone that you trust? You need to find someone that you trust first. I don't know how, other than getting feedback/reviews/references and talking to people. Human beings are pretty good bullshit detectors, usually. And don't limit yourself to your current area - there's plenty of brilliant jewellers that will be able to work with you remotely.

Insurance: Jewellers' Mutual used to cater for this type of situation; I believe that you need to tell them that you will insure the finished article (ring) and that the stone is temporarily loose. If this doesn't help, choose the cheapest of the cheap settings that Blue Nile has, insure the "ring" and scrap the setting afterwards, re-insuring. It will cost you about $150 ($250 - $100 of scrap metal),

Thanks David!

I'm interested in your comment about the ASET- you state it's "interesting". I'm not really sure what too look for except "red" on the AGS report and some symmetry. Is there something unusual about it?

This whole diamond purchase thing is a PITA!!! It's almost information overload- too many options with all the online vendors. I've tried 3 different local places and the prices are way out of wack with one exception. One wanted to sell me a diamond that was available on blue nile (same cert number) for 1.1K less. Only catch was no returns and no credit cards, so I declined. They stated they would be brokering the diamond therefore no returns, and the margins were so low therefore no cc which i understand.

Inclusions in larger stones tend to be more visible than on smaller diamonds. Ask the vendor to supply you with a description of the inclusion and a photo. Specifically, describe the location and color of the inclusion(s).

Is it center under the table, off center, does it reflect?

Color: black, greysih-white, white?

Thanks David!

I'm interested in your comment about the ASET- you state it's "interesting". I'm not really sure what too look for except "red" on the AGS report and some symmetry. Is there something unusual about it?

This whole diamond purchase thing is a PITA!!! It's almost information overload- too many options with all the online vendors. I've tried 3 different local places and the prices are way out of wack with one exception. One wanted to sell me a diamond that was available on blue nile (same cert number) for 1.1K less. Only catch was no returns and no credit cards, so I declined. They stated they would be brokering the diamond therefore no returns, and the margins were so low therefore no cc which i understand.

If you look at ASETs of modern superideals, you will find that the majority have broader arrow shafts, and a slightly different pattern with somewhat less contrast around the arrow heads and less leakage at the periphery.

I hear you on the PITA; part of the problem is that there isn't enough information, but what there is, is presented in inconsistent and hard-to-get-to ways.

3% less than BN is pretty good, but I would have done exactly the same - more for the "no returns" than anything else. What if you don't like it???

Thanks David!

I'm all for jewelers wishing to compete with BN and actually even support them when they charge a little MORE since they've got the opportunity to deliver a better shopping experience. That said, this one seems to be ducking the opportunity and is delivering LESS in terms of your shopping. No returns = No sale.

Denver-

that's exactly it. I told them I wish to give them the business and sent them 3 examples of what i was looking at from BN. I said exactly what you said- even if you're a bit more I'd gladly give them the business.

Anyway, looks like I will be getting a setting from them so at least they'll get some business although it would have been nice to give them the diamond sale.

He's trying to make a point dispite himself. The idea is that he delivers value and you should appreciate his service and he shouldn't have to compete with a low-service discount outfit like BN. That's his call, but BN is obviously brokering it too, and they're brokering it on behalf of the same owner. They will accept a return for a while and you can bet this isn't coming from their stockholders. It's the terms of the company that's consigning it to them. They've got enough margin to cover the credit cards and some profit left over. There's obviously at least $1100 on the table PLUS whatever the BN spread is PLUS the credit card fees. Instead he'd rather let the deal walk away. Seems stupid to me but it's his call. :wacko:

That said, make sure he understands that you're bringing in an outside diamond to go into a mounting that he's supplying and presumably setting. It's common for jewelers to both decline the breakage risk and to raise the setting labor fees in this situation. That too is his call but it's then on you to decide if you want to put up with it or if he's pushing the setting sale out the door too. Don't just assume that there is no cost or that he will take responsibility for his craftsmen.