Advice On The Round Cut 1.5 Carat Diamond

coryle

Yes, they are a reputable dealer, but it's not the bargain you're thinking. The trick is correctly comparing against 'similar rocks with the same specs'. Tiny details make a bid difference in this business. Almost certainly what you're thinking about are not similar. Can you show an example of a link to a stone that you consider to be similar for $3k more? (hint: pay attention to what lab did the grading).

Edited by denverappraiser

Thank you for your reply. I was looking on blue nile at this similar spec diamond : http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-search?track=head#diamonds_pid=LD02228975. They are both G, VS1, with Ideal cut. As far as certification goes, the first rock was EGL Israle cert where as the one on blue nile is GIA cert. Please advice on why the price difference is so much? And is EGL israle cert ok?

Thanks again

Ah... I understand now. Thank you. Not going to buy the first rock anymore. What do you think about this rock?:

• Carat weight: 1.51ct
  • Shape: Radiant
  • Color: F
  • Clarity: VS1
  • Depth: 82.5%
  • Table: 64%
  • Girdle thickness: Thick-Very Thick
  • Culet: None
  • Polish: Very Good
  • Symmetry: Good
  • Fluorescence: None
  • Measurements: 6.61x5.66x4.67mm
  • Lab certificate: GIA Certified
  • Lab certificate number: 12474365
  • Treatment: This diamond is natural and not clarity enhanced

The seller did not list cut grade but I'm in the process of obtaining that information right now. They dealer is asking for $10,700. Good price? Fair? What do think about the seller's claim of the reason why thier diamonds are lower in price? Here thewebsite: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310289428627?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thank you,

Cory

What do think about the seller's claim of the reason why thier diamonds are lower in price?

His reasons for his pricing structure are irrelavent. Pay attention to the deal at hand.

1.50-1.55/F/VS1/Radiant/GIA has 15 stones in the database here ranging in price from 9800 - 12600. Your guy seems right in line with the competition. If anything he's a little high since I think that exact stone is listed here as well for hundreds less. By the way, you'll notice in their terms and conditions that they don't actually have the diamond advertised and may or may not even be able to get it. You're supposed to call and ask. Also note that the stone in the photograph isn't of the same stone anyway, even if they can get it (they are using the same picture in several ads). If they can't get it they'll offer you something 'comparable'. <_< Lastly notice that the return policy gives you a 7 day window including shipping time and involves a restocking fee of 3-15% depending on what you buy. I'm not impressed.

Edited by denverappraiser

The seller is not listing a cut grade because there isn't one - or at least not one awarded by an independent lab. Be aware that GIA issues a cut grade only on round brilliant diamonds; all other shapes and cutting styles, whatever cut grade you see, it is the seller's opinion. They may back up that opinion with evidence (ASET images, photos, videos, etc.) but in the majority of cases they do not...

I would also take issues with quite a few statements that this particular seller makes, and as Neil pointed out their commercial terms aren't very impressive. A 1.51 that faces up like a 1.20 carat is not likely to be that impressively cut either - but I may be wrong.