Diamond Was Not Set Straight (Square Princess Cut)

ender

Hello all!

Alright, so I have an issue with how the jeweler set the diamond in my fiance's ring. It is a princess cut square diamond set with prongs (NOT the V prongs) surrounded by a square with small diamonds. Below is a picture of the ring but made for a rectangular diamond (I do not have a picture of the actual ring). I had them make this same ring but made for a square diamond so apart from the shape of where the diamond is placed, this is the exact ring.

It took almost 8 weeks for them to finish making this setting for me and when I went to go pick it up with my fiance, they let us sit next to the jeweler and watch as he set it. It was a nerve wracking experience. I am VERY detail oriented and can easily spot a flaw that most other people would not be able to see. This is not a good thing when it comes to buying things.

When the jeweler finished setting the stone he cleaned it and handed it to us. Much to my dismay, the stone was not set straight. It was slightly rotated clockwise (if you looked at it from the top or straight on to the table of the diamond. I showed it to my fiance and she noticed as well so I asked if he could straighten it. The jeweler was nice but sat there for a minute or two just staring at the ring pondering how to go about resetting it. He then told me that he was hesitant because the prongs might break off, the diamond might chip, or he might mar the setting trying to open the prongs back up with the tools he had at hand. I told him to try his best so he did.

He showed it to me again with the prongs not yet fully closed and it looked pretty straight (not sure if it was 100% though. At this point I was just worried that he'd chip the diamond or break off a prong and I'd have to wait 8 more weeks for a new setting). It was good enough and so I told him yes to go ahead and set it. He then warned that it might shift a little once he starts closing the prongs again. Again I told him to try his best.

He finished, polished, and cleaned it and then handed it to me. I could still tell that it was slightly rotated a bit but it was A LOT less pronounced than the first time. I handed it to my fiance saying "I think he got it straight. See if you notice anything you don't like." She looked at it and said "It looks good." Yes, I am guilty of lying to my a fiance a little bit but I just wanted her to be happy and I knew that if I told her I thought it was crooked, she would see it as well. I did not want to push my luck any more that day so I thought "Well if she can't tell then it doesn't matter."

Well now I cannot stop thinking about it. I KNOW the diamond is not set straight and every time i look at it I can tell. She is very happy with her ring and I am not sure if she notices or not. I don't want to ask because I don't want to ruin the ring for her if she doesn't notice it.

So my questions are:

1. What do you think I should do? I don't doubt that I can take it back and that they will try to make it right but I am not sure if it's worth the risk or if I should go back to the same jeweler.

2.How difficult is it to set a princess cut diamond straight in a setting that has straight lines like my fiance's does? Am I being too picky? I know I don't have pictures of the actual ring, I just don't want her to find out that I think it's crooked until I decide whether or not we should get it fixed.

3. If a prong breaks, can they just solder one on to the setting or do they need to make the whole setting again?

post-129107-0-43056000-1321548864_thumb.jpg

Edited by ender

So my questions are:

1. What do you think I should do? I don't doubt that I can take it back and that they will try to make it right but I am not sure if it's worth the risk or if I should go back to the same jeweler.

2.How difficult is it to set a princess cut diamond straight in a setting that has straight lines like my fiance's does? Am I being too picky? I know I don't have pictures of the actual ring, I just don't want her to find out that I think it's crooked until I decide whether or not we should get it fixed.

3. If a prong breaks, can they just solder one on to the setting or do they need to make the whole setting again?

1. What's their policy regarding breakage? That is to say, who is at risk, you or them?

2. It can be a pain in the ass and the difference is in subtle things that have to do with the prongs and the geometry of the stone. Not that it matters. They agreed to do the job and you deserve the best job possible. Did they make the ring or farm it out to some outside source? Did they sell the diamond?

3. It depends on how the ring was made and some subtle craftsmanship issues. A laser is better than solder for this but it's possible and not all that difficult either way.

Frankly I'm not impressed with the ring in the picture. The prongs are thin, they look like they are cut to accept a different stone and they look too long for the width. Does your stone have pointed corners or a little flat spot where the prongs sit?

Edited by denverappraiser

1. What's their policy regarding breakage? That is to say, who is at risk, you or them?

2. It can be a pain in the ass and the difference is in subtle things that have to do with the prongs and the geometry of the stone. Not that it matters. They agreed to do the job and you deserve the best job possible. Did they make the ring or farm it out to some outside source? Did they sell the diamond?

3. It depends on how the ring was made and some subtle craftsmanship issues. A laser is better than solder for this but it's possible and not all that difficult either way.

Frankly I'm not impressed with the ring in the picture. The prongs are thin, they look like they are cut to accept a different stone and they look too long for the width. Does your stone have pointed corners or a little flat spot where the prongs sit?

First, I'd like to say thank you for taking the time to respond.

1. I do not know who would be at risk but seeing as though they made the setting and mounted the diamond (I bought the diamond elsewhere) I would ask that they be liable if anything happens before I even consider taking it back to them for resetting.

2. Whether they made the ring or sent it elsewhere to be made I have no idea. I saw the setting in their store but it was for a rectangular diamond so I had them make me one for a square diamond. It took almost 8 week to make but I am not sure if they made it in house or it was outsourced. What would this affect?

3. Judging by what I saw at the jewelers table when he was setting the stone, I doubt they have lasers or anything high tech like that.

Can you elaborate on why you say the prongs look like they were cut to accept a different stone? Do you mean a stone with flat corners? Because I noticed this as well but when I asked them about it, they said it's fine and that they can mount a diamond with pointed corners. My diamond has pointed corners.

Also, what do you mean that the prongs are too long for the width? Does the length of the prong matter since they are cut down anyways? The diamond on my fiance's ring sits with the girdle a little less than a millimeter above the top of the setting.

One additional question: While my stone is square, the dimension are not exactly equal. When I had them make the setting I told them the exact dimensions so I am assuming they made it so the stone fit exactly. The jeweler never measured the dimensions of the diamond to see which side was longer so that he could place it in the setting accordingly. Should he have?

Edited by ender

Most jewelers do NOT accept liability for setting of stones that didn’t sell. A few do. You should have asked but definitely do so before you have them tweak anything.

Yes, if the stone is rectangular and the mounting was made to be the same rectangle then it should have been set in the appropriate orientation.

The outsourcing question relates to how long to expect the repairs to take. I can’t tell what the problem is but a few of them are kind of difficult to fix and if they need to ship it to Thailand or somewhere, it’s going to take a while.

The mounting in the picture looks like it had a different stone set in it quite high in the prongs. If it’s down low at the halo then my complaint is fixed.

Consider taking it to a different jeweler and asking them both what is wrong and what they recommend as a way to fix it.