Advice/ Input On The Following Rocks

iCeMaN57

Another new memeber here looking for an engagement ring. I have been to every jeweler in town and they have either been "in house certified" or IGI certified. I'm getting some diamonds sent to my house from a family jewler that are GIA/ AGS certified. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a LEO but for that money I can get the same size stone with awesome color/ clarity. I'm looking at things around the 2500 range in a white gold tiffany style setting. Her fingers are really narrow and a 1 carat was almost too much so I'm thinking ~3/4 range or maybe a really nice 1/2 carat. She seemed content with a 1/4 honestly so now I'm just looking for the one that stands out the most to me.

This what I have seen thus far and I will give more stats and copy of the lab reports when the rocks come in the mail this week.

.60 E SI2 Eccellent GIA (GIA 6125445436) $1566.00

Round Brilliant

Measurements: 5.40 - 5.43 x 3.35 mm Carat Weight: 0.60 carat Color Grade: E Clarity Grade: SI2 Cut Grade: Excellent

Proportions:

Depth: 61.8% Table: 55% Crown Angle: 34.5° Crown Height: 15.5% Pavilion Angle: 40.6° Pavilion Depth: 42.5% Star length: 50% Lower Half: 75% Girdle: Medium, Faceted Culet: None

Finish:

Polish: Excellent Symmetry: Excellent Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Clarity Characteristics:

Crystal, Cloud

.588 E Si1 Ideal Ags cert. the report is attached. $2079.65

.70 GIA / 2126230997 I si1

Inclusions are easily visible under 10x magnification and may be visible with the unaided eye.

Cut Grade Excellent

Depth % 62.1 %

Table % 55 %

Symmetry Excellent

Polish Excellent

Girdle Thickness Thin to Slightly Thick

Culet Size None

Fluorescence None

Dimensions 5.69x5.75x3.55 mm

I have some more 3/4 Carat rocks coming in tomorrow or saturday that I'll update this thread with. These are the standard prices and has been indicated to me of wiggle room given the amount of business my family has given for the last 4 generations. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. I have also attached a few other options and continue to search the catalog for others.

rocks.jpg

The jeweler who my family has trusted for 4 generations informed me that he wouldn't go lower than si2 and I not to go any lower than J with the setting she wants.

post-129106-0-22214500-1321545685_thumb.gif

Edited by iCeMaN57

Pardon my frankness, but you (or they) seem to be all over the place. Do you (she) prefer an E colour, or an H? Are you prepared to tolerate inclusions that are easily visible with a loupe and may be visible in some circumstances without one? What does your jeweller say about the cut quality of the various options? Can you see and appreciate the differences? Do you have a preference for fire vs. brightness?

You seem to have a good jeweller taking care of you and your family - and they have the not insignificant advantage that they can see the stones. Why don't you ask them to organise a comparison session where you can pick your favourite? Anything I (or anyone else on an internet forum) can say or guess is trumped by your personal observations and preferences in any case.

Thanks for the help. He is sending me severial diamonds via mail so I can see what exactly I like. Up to this point, the only diamonds that I have officially seen were igi certified so if that is the case, these should look better to the eye. Or maybe I'm wrong. My jeweler seems to say so. I will get the dslr out and try to get a picture of my moms engagement ring. It was recently appraised for over 30% what they paid from the same jeweler.

Edited by iCeMaN57

Oh to clairify some more, we looked at countless stores in 3 different states and she can't tell a difference between a J I1 vs a D VVS1. She doesn't want something too big since she has really skinny fingers and isn't flashy in that sense ( I guess I get off easy in that respect). I'll host a picture later and show you a sample of a 1/2 carat Leo on her finger just for reference. The diamonds should be coming in today so I'll update if so.

Edited by iCeMaN57

I'm missing something. You've been suggested a J/SI2 or J/I1 by a trusted advisor and that seems to suit your taste based on what you've seen in person. None of the stones you chose are particularly close to that. How did you narrow it down to these particular stones?

Edited by denverappraiser

I'm looking right now to see what strikes me as far as clarity and fire is concerned. I mentioned the J/SI2 or J/I1 because my soon to be fiance can't honestly tell a difference. I will go no lower than Si2 and G/H in color. My jeweler advised me the ABSOLUTE lowest he would recommend going would be J. I don't intend on doing so though. The specs listed, are the prices fair would you say? From what I have seen locally, they really are. I haven't see this store in person. I live in Kentucky and he is in Jacksonville Florida. He is shipping 8 or so diamonds with some settings to see what I like. I ordered several different sizes with different color/ clarity but all are graded by AGS or GIA. I had him send a diamond with the same specs as the Leo that I purchased just to see if I can see the difference between lab ratings. I got some others that were slightly smaller but went up in color and/or clarity just to see how they strike me as well. The MGR at Kay's said to bring it in to compare and gurantee's his diamond looks better but it seems that you are just paying for the name. For the 5k they wanted for that ring, I could get a really nice rock, much better than the 3/4 H Si2. Hope this helps and I greatly appreciate the help thus far.

Edited by iCeMaN57

Yes, the prices listed are reasonable.

Not to be beating a dead horse here but the issue is unchanged. G-H/SI1-2 is a perfectly reasonable set of specs but NONE of the 11 stones you've suggested fall within that range.

A bit of the Leo's cost is definitely paying for the branding but they do have a slightly different look to them becasue they use a different facet pattern. Whether or not this difference is 'better' is up to you and I agree with the manager that a side by side comparison is the best way to decide if you like it. My only caution on that test is that lighting conditions make a big difference and make sure you look at it in a variety of circumstances, not just under the halogen spotlights that the stores have over their counters.

You're right, $5k for a 3/4ct H/SI2 shouldn't be hard to beat for nearly any jeweler. Whether you want a higher grade, a bigger stone, a fancier mounting, a combination of these things or just have money left over in your pocket is an important component to this.

Edited by denverappraiser

Thanks for the help again. It is greatly appreciated. I did receive my diamonds today. I do have a few 3/4 H SI1/2 in fact. The others I have mentioned are ones that caught my eye and I would like to see and just so happen to fall below my price range. I have in my possesion currently:

.71 H SI1 VG Cut $2200

.70 H SI1 VG Cut $2150

.75 J SI1 VG Cut $2300

.50 E VVS1 Ideal Cut $1800

I'm just looking at a variety of sizes and colors that are coming in and see how I like them. Thoughts on prices? I can get pictures later if need be. Hope this helps and thanks for the help!

Edited by iCeMaN57

Use the Diamond Finder on this site to get quotes from quite a few competitive online sellers. In general, they seem within reason, and the service you are receiving is worth something; be aware that small details have a disproportionate effect on price (e.g going above a threshold of 0.50 or 0.70 carats can result in price increases of 30-50%)