Adamas International

housearrest

hi i was wondering if anyone ever purchased a diamond from adamas from toronto. i talked to them and asked if i could see the 2 carat round diamond, E color and vs1, all 3 excellent, EGL, they said the diamond is in chicago and wanted a deposit to have it shipped to toronto for a viewing. no credit card, it had to be a wire transfer, i guess my question is if that is normal, and why does the EGL diamond cost around 20gs, and the same diamond from GIA would cost around 30gs, thanks.

...because the diamond graded by EGL is substantively different from the diamond graded by GIA. Read here and in the links provided in the thread: http://www.diamondreview.com/forum/topic/7724-should-i-buy-gia-or-store-graded-diamond/

I don't see why they would want a wire transfer. A deal whereby they request an authorisation on your credit card should be sufficient, possibly with the agreement that they will refund it net of credit card commission (2-3%) if you don't buy. It smells fishy to me.

I think the problem with the credit card has to do with international transactions. Different merchant banks handle this differently because there is so much fraud internationally. I doubt it's evidence of a problem but, if you aren't comfortable with their terms, it's likely other dealers can get you that exact stone if you prefer to buy it from someone else.

Look into your EGL question. It's important. You are not comparing apples to apples.