Girdles On Diamonds

momof3

What does it mean when someone says the girdle of a diamond is painted, dug out or faceted etc? Aren't all girdles faceted. I know on GIA reports some indicate that and other times not. Also when there is a range given on a report such as th-med or just medium or thick what does that mean? On a report listed as thin-med it received an excellent for symmetry. To me if I understand that would mean it isn't the same thickness all the way around so shouldn't it receive a very good?

Edited by momof3

What does it mean when someone says the girdle of a diamond is painted, dug out or faceted etc? Aren't all girdles faceted. I know on GIA reports some indicate that and other times not. Also when there is a range given on a report such as th-med or just medium or thick what does that mean? On a report listed as thin-med it received an excellent for symmetry. To me if I understand that would mean it isn't the same thickness all the way around so shouldn't it receive a very good?

No, not all girdles are faceted. In fact, most aren't although it's becoming more common.

Painting and digging refers to the treatment of the row of facets directly above and below the girdle known as the upper girdle and lower girdle respectively. It has to do with the azimuth of the facets. It’s not one of the attributes that appears on either AGS or GIA documents although both labs include it as a variable in their cut grades (they handle it quite differently by the way)

Girdle thickness is not one of the variables for symmetry. It refers to the minimum and maximum thickness of the girdle as you move around the perimeter of the stone.

Edited by denverappraiser

No, not all girdles are faceted. When diamonds are cut into round shapes, their roundness is achieved by a process called bruting. Bruting takes two diamonds, and spins them against one another, rounding them both. This process creates a girdle with a smooth, frosted appearance. It is a more recent thing for a girdle to be faceted.

Girdle thickness usually varies at least slightly around the circumference of the diamond. This can be due to many factors such as the cutter polishing out an inclusion, to the painting and digging you were refering to.

Painting and Digging out are usually techniques used to preserve weight in a diamond. These techniques commonly come into play when a diamond is close to an important weight such as .50, 1, or 2 carat levels. These adjustments can be minute, or they can have a major impact on the appearance of the diamond. Extreme painting, for example can cause a diamond's upper girdle facet junctions to be less obvious, like the facets have been "painted" on creating large facets around the girdle.