Gia Grading. Here Are The Specs. What To Expect When Selling?

Chris24

Hi Everyone,

I have a GIA diamond that I bought a few years back and want to take in for appraisal. When I got it in 2006 from online it came with a GIA certification and a value that it was appraisal was for a little over 10K.

I have never been to an appraiser and found one with good reviews close to me. What do I need to expect when going in with the diamond.

It is safe for the diamond to leave my site if they are inspecting it. I have heard diamond prices have gone up in the past few years. Could I expect to get something close to 10k?

Let me know if you need more info.

Here are the GIA specs:

MARQUISE BRILLIANT

Measurements: 9.86 x 5.44 x 3.47 mm

Carat Weight: 1.08 carat

Color Grade: E

Clarity Grade: VS2

PROPORTIONS:

Depth: 63.8%

Table: 59%

Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick, Faceted

Culet: None

FINISH:

Polish: Excellent

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence:None

COMMENTS:

Pinpoints, laser grooves and surface graining are not shown.

Talk to your appraiser and get a feel for the way they do business. Most are actually happy to do the inspection portion of a 1 item appraisal while you wait and while you watch but, in answer to your question, no I don't think you should be especially concerned about letting it out of your sight with any professional appraiser.

Resale prices have as much to do with you and your market selection as they do with the product. A quick search in the database here looks like current discount retail prices on comparable goods is about $5-6000 so, no, I doubt you'll be able to get $10k for it. If you're going to be selling on ebay, craigslist or some similar direct retail venue, most people seem target about 2/3 - 3/4 of the current prices being asked by the online dealers. Again, how that goes depends as much on you as it does the stone. If you're going to sell to a dealer, expect more like 1/2. Marquise cuts are not especially popular right now and this is likely to have a big effect. It's not that your stone isn't beautiful or that it's in any way inferior to what it was when you bought it but dealers like to fill up their inventory with things that move quickly and they're going to lower their bids because of this.

Yes, diamonds in general are up in the last few years. What did you pay for it (as opposed to what the seller appraised it for)?

Edited by denverappraiser