2.02 Carat Princess Cut

Square Modified

Color - G

Clairty - SI1

V.G

V.G

No Fluoresence

$12000

The EGL stone looks better to my eye but I am extremely worried about the grading.

Please let me know your opinion and what do you think of the price.

If you need to know any more information please ask me and I will supply

If you're worried about the grading, have it graded by someone that YOU consider to be reliable. There's quite a bit of money on the table here and an independent appraisal is usually not very pricey. Looking better to you in a side by side comparison is a REALLY good place to start.

There is not enough data on a GIA report to assess cut for a princess cut diamond, nor to know if the stone is eye-clean. The fact that the stone is priced at the bottom of the pile for similar weight/colour/clarity is not a good sign for either, but there is no way of telling for sure without a lot more information.

From your first post, it sounds as if you have seen the diamonds - can you see the inclusion(s)? Have you compared them to other diamonds? Which do you prefer?

Both stones are eye-clean and the inclusions are harder to see on the EGL.

I was leaning a little bit more towards the EGL but again it was an EGL-Israel and that worried me a bit since the amount of money on the table here in regards to their inconsistency. I was offered to send the stone to GIA but didn't know if that was the right decision..

Attached is a picture of the EGL and its inclusions according to the certificate

post-129077-0-81023000-1321203121_thumb.jpg

post-129077-0-70866700-1321203134_thumb.png

Well, the picture is of appalling quality. Sorry. However, from the little that can be seen, it's not what I would call eye-clean (the group of crystals in the plot seem to be clearly visible in the pavilion and reflect on the other side of the stone), nor is it what I would call a great cut (notice the dark areas and windows).

What I meant with my previous question is: how did you come up with a short list of these two stones? Neither looks like a winner (for a number of different reasons), and there is plenty of others to choose from.

Edited by davidelevi

In most cases, 'eye clean' means SI2 or better. It varies quite a bit with the details of the inclulsions, the lighting, your eyes, etc. This is why this isn't one of the grading standards. It doesn't seem to be one of your questions on either so I'll just take your word for it. We couldn't answer this one anyway.

If your question is about color, we obviously can't answer that either since we can't see either stone. Usually EGL is within 3-4 grades of similarly described stones graded by GIA. Presumably you HAVE seen the stones and you seem comfortable with your own grading skills so again, I'll just take your word for it.

There's not enough information to even begin discussing cut quality on either stone.

Price is highly dependent on grading. You can use the database here to look up offers on similarly described stones but again, without knowing about the reliability of the grading on either your stone or the ones being offered, you don't have mmuch to go on.

Do NOT rely on advice that you consider unreliable. That applies to EGL, the jeweler, GIA, and all of us. Pick who you want to belived and ignore the others. Don't discount advice you consider to be bad, ignore it entirely.

The offer to send the EGL to GIA is a good one. If you've got the time and you otherwise love the stone, accept. Assumming it comes back different from what EGLI called it, which my gut tells me is likely, what is the dealer proposing to do?

Edited by denverappraiser