Which One Is Best Item ?

ALI

by considering the following 3 items , please help to choose the best one in Fire, Spread, Brilliance, Scintillation, Light Return and also Price :

ITEM A :

GIA

Carat : 1.30

Color : D

Clarity : IF

Triple Excellent

Fluorescence & Culet : None

Measurements : 7.06 * 7.04 * 4.27

Crown Angles : 34

Crown height : 14.5%

Pavilion Angle : 40.6

Pavilion Height : 43%

Table : 57 %

Table Height : 60.3 %

Girdle : Thin To Medium ( 3% )

ITEM B :

GIA

Carat : 1.31

Color : E

Triple Excellent

Measurements : 7.09* 7.12 * 4.28

Crown height : 14%

Pavilion Angle : 40.8

Table : 58 %

Table Height : 60.2 %

Girdle : Medium FACETED ( 3% )

ITEM C : GIA

Carat : 1.38

Clarity : VVS1

Triple Excellent

Measurements : 7.12* 7.15 * 4.41

Crown Angles : 35

Crown height : 15.5%

Table : 56%

Table Height : 61.8 %

Girdle : Medium FACETED ( 3.5% )

thanks

ali

Hi Ali,

‘Best’ is a tough word here.

Fire, brilliance, scintillation, and light return all require information that you haven’t provided.

You didn’t give the prices at all so no one can comment on them.

That leaves spread, which is a mixed issue. The biggest spread is #3 but whether or not you want that particular feature depends on the issues above.

I think perhaps you’ve made a bunch of assumptions that led you to these stones and this set of questions. Can you tell us more about how you picked these three? Are they being offered by a dealer? Is this a storefront operation, an internet house, a private party or some other sort of deal? What are your criteria?

Edited by denverappraiser

by considering the following 3 items , please help to choose the best one in Fire, Spread, Brilliance, Scintillation, Light Return and also Price :

ITEM A :

GIA

Carat : 1.30

Triple Excellent

Measurements : 7.06 * 7.04 * 4.27

Crown height : 14.5%

Table : 57 %

Table Height : 60.3 %

Girdle : Thin To Medium ( 3% )

ITEM B :

GIA

Carat : 1.31

Color : E

Triple Excellent

Measurements : 7.09* 7.12 * 4.28

Crown height : 14%

Pavilion Angle : 40.8

Table : 58 %

Table Height : 60.2 %

Girdle : Medium FACETED ( 3% )

ITEM C : GIA

Carat : 1.38

Clarity : VVS1

Triple Excellent

Measurements : 7.12* 7.15 * 4.41

Crown Angles : 35

Crown height : 15.5%

Table : 56%

Table Height : 61.8 %

Girdle : Medium FACETED ( 3.5% )

thanks

ali

I don't see the light info on your 3 picks, just some numbers which won't tell you how bright the stone is without seeing it.

If you want that info, you might have to work with a vendor that can quantify the info for you.

For example we carry 2 different light performance computers in house. The Isee2 analysis which measures, white light or brilliance, fire or colored light, contrast or scintillation and optical symmetry. We also carry the brilliancescope which measures, white light, colored light and scintillation.

I do have one in house that is slightly smaller with light performance info you can compare.

http://www.dbof.com/jewelry/round-1-22-ct-d-vs1/

The Isee2 reading is in purple and the brilliancescope reading is if you click on this link.

http://www.gemex.com/livereport/partnerlink.php?linkid=1&cid=11&viewid=1&popup=y&pid=db122vs1d2524

Thanks from all peoples spent time and answerd to my question.

First , let me to say , i am looking for nice diamond with good cut grading , and apperance for daily use .

So , Is it possible to compare 3 mentioned items only based on Cut Grading that which one has better Cut in this field .

And also I send you the following Quotations for above mentioned Items :

ITEM PRICE ( AED )

A 138,000

B 100,000

C 118,000

Now , By considering all mentioned aspects , please tell me which item is good choice as experts opinion in this field ???

if you have recommendations regarding to my target diamond with different catagories that help to have nice diamond with more competitive and better price , it would be my pleasure to hear from your side definitely .

thanks

Ali

The problem with the prices is that there are significant premiums associated with D over E and IF over VVS1, although no-one will be able to tell the difference even with a loupe once the diamonds are set. So, the prices per se don't tell you much about the quality of the cut. All three are "within reason".

If I may ask - is there a specific reason why you are going for such high colour and clarity? Are you attracted/motivated by the symbolic value of it?

hi davidelevi

I like perfection .

I studied and spent hours for reading about diamonds , What Is Diamond ? What is 4c ? and Cut Grading which is most important in diamond . etc ,........

even , i went to LEVANT gallery in Dubai , it has perfect collection such as D, FL , IF in various carats , but very Very expensive , i do not like to spend big money now .

honestly , i am looking for diamond , First looking attractive and nice , Second perfect Cut , Third high color as D or E , and good clarity IF or VVS1 , VVS2 , but i do not know i make good decision or not ?

if you can give me more information regarding mentioned subjects for diamond which i use daily , it would be my pleasure .

thanks

E/VVS1 is actually an unusual combination. D and IF are popular because they’re the top of the scale and she’s worth it. F-G and VS1-2 are popular because they’re solidly into the range that require tools to see the difference while carrying a significant discount. H-I and SI1-2 are popular because the hug the boundary of what is eye visible and it comes with yet another steep discount. That doesn’t make E and VVS wrong, but it’s the reason I asked how you landed with these particular stones.

First looking attractive and nice ,

I’m confident that ALL of these are lovely, as are thousands of others that didn’t make your short list. Part of what we’re answering is that maybe the ‘best’ stone isn’t on your list at all.

Second perfect Cut ,

That requires a definition of perfection but I’m confident that ALL of these are stunners.

Third high color as D or E , and good clarity IF or VVS1 , VVS2 ,

Obviously all 3 qualify.

but i do not know i make good decision or not ?

That’s the trick isn’t it? You’re paying a big premium for D. You’re paying a big premium for IF. You’re paying a big premium for shopping in person in Dubai. You’re paying a premium for xxx cutting. You’re paying a premium for the 1.3x weight. Does this all match your shopping style and objectives?

HI denverappraiser,

thanks for your reply and honesty in this field.

already , i have one diamond ring ( GIA , D , VVS2 , 1 Carat , Ex , and 2 VG ) i want to change it to better diamond which has better specifications completely ,

So , i'm looking diamond with following details :

Weight : 1.25 carat to 1.35 carat ( Up to color & clarity )

Color : D , E ( if you have better offer , it would be good )

Clarity : IF ( only for D color ) , VVS1 OR VVS2 ( For D , E colors )

3 Excellent , Ideal Cut

Culet & Flourescence : None

PRICE : 25,000 USD TO 30,000 USD .

IF YOU CAN HELP ME TO HAVE CORRECT DECISION ABOUT WEIGHT,COLOR,CLARITY AND CUT IT WOULD BE KIND OF YOU IN THIS FIELD .

THANKS

ALI

It depends on what you want to do - but I would suggest that you won't see a huge change if you stick to the parameters you list... the diameter difference between a 1.00 and a 1.30 is about 0.5 mm - easily visible when the two objects are next to each other, but easily forgettable if they are not. You (or most anyone else) will not be able to see the difference in colour between G and D once the stone is set, and equally you won't be able to see the difference between (most) VS2 and IF.

Some people - heck, make that most people - will buy a 1.80 carat G/VS2 and have a visibly larger stone. Some will stick to "I want a D/IF" - but then you have a stone that is visually the same as the one you already have.

There may be some appearance variation in the cut - after all GIA "excellent" covers a very wide ground - but again, it is a matter of personal preference. I like tall crowns and small tables, others here on this forum have exactly opposite preferences: neither of us is "right", and you may have different tastes than either.

What you have is almost certainly a good looking stone so my first question is what you want to upgrade about it? If it's the paperwork and the symbolism of it, go for D/IF/xxx. That's what comes with the bragging rights of having the 'best'. Size? Something else? If you're trying to improve the look, it's going to be entirely off-report things and, as Davide has pointed out, there's a huge taste component to that. This is difficult to do without the stone in hand and, even then, it's harder than you would think because of variations in lighting environments.

A few questions for you:

Where are you?

Where did you get the one you have? Are you happy with them? Have you discussed this project with them?

Is this a trade up/upgrade or just a hunt for an additional stone? If it's a tradein, does your previous dealer have a policy that might apply?

Where are the 3 stones you chose above? Have you seen them in person?

What is it about your current stone that you would like to improve?

I'M LIVING IN DUBAI ,

I BOUGHT MY DIAMOND IN DUBAI.

THESE 3 PIECES RECOMMENDED BY ONE JEWERLLY SHOP ( ONLY CERTIFICATE ) , DIAMOND IS OUT OF UAE , SO , IF I CONFIRM MUST BRING IT HERE .

I THINK 1CT IS SMALL , BUT COLOR , CLARITY ARE GOOD , I WANT TO IMPROVE WEIGHT AND ALSO CUT .

NOW , I HAVE ONE QUESTION , WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN IDEAL CUT & SIGNATURE CUT IN CERTIFICATES ?

TODAY , OFFER ME ANOTHER 2 DIAMONDS WHICH HAVE GOOD SPECIFICATIONS ATALL .

I WILL SEND THEM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE .

"Ideal" and "Signature" (and as Blue Nile would like it, "Signature Ideal") are unfortunately meaningless because they are used by different vendors to mean different things.

If a diamond is graded by AGS as "Ideal cut", it means it complies with their standards for the highest possible cut quality (including proportions/light performance, symmetry and polish), but otherwise the term is used loosely by a variety of people - though not as far as I know by any other lab.

EGL uses 'ideal' to describe things. IGI uses it. AGS uses it. Lots of jewelers and appraisers use it. GIA does not. They do not all mean the same things. If someone uses it, ask them what they mean. They vary wildly.

'Signature' is something the dealer applies. Usually it means that they own it and little else. Occasionally it means that they've added so extra labor in the form of additional reports or tests and in some cases the warranty or financing terms are different.

I'm not a diamond dealer and don't offer stones. Others here are but there's an automated system attached to this site called 'diamond finder' at the top of the page so you can look up a fair amount yourself. Enter a few parameters and you'll find ads for all sorts of similar stone. It's a good way of shopping prices between some highly competitive vendors. Davide (who has chimed in several times in this discussion) works for a dealer in New York who is not one of the advertisers. They have a variety of stone for sale on their own website and has a link at the bottom of every post here that will take you there. The same applies for all of the other dealers who are regulars here and offer free council. Barry and Jan come to mind for example.