More Questions About The Oec Diamond

diamondless

Hi, I received the Old European Cut Diamond ring today. It is certainly clear, (VS2) and the color was stated to be an I-J. I think it looks slightly pale yellow, but compared it to many other diamonds today, (at the hair salon), and all the other gals thought it was beautiful. While most said it was slightly darker where theirs were whiter; they thought that the colors and brilliance was show stopping. My main concern is that I do see the shadow of the open or large culet. But it's not dead center. It looks like it's more to the side. Does this just mean it's not a perfect cut, or is it possible that the stone could be tilted in the mounting? It is in it's original worn mounting and one prong is not in great shape. It's 1.05CT and I plan on having it remounted if I decide to keep it. Although I don't care for the super white diamonds of today, I wish this were a tad whiter. I wanted to mount it in a yellow gold Edwardian style, possible bezel set and smaller diamonds within the mounting. Would it help to have the bezel white gold? Again, should I be concerned with the culet dark spot in the ring being off center? I really do notice it, but I do love the colors this stone puts out. I don't know whether to send it back and look at others or keep it?? My budget is very limited. I was able to purchase this for just under $2,000. Any suggestions?

Culets are often off center and the stones are often out of round, which can give this same look.

The hair salon is not likely a good viewing environment for grading color and the seller is not a good source for ANY of the grading attributes. If you're trying to decide if you want to keep it, if it was properly graded or if it was properly priced, get it appraised by a professional. They should be able to answer questions about the mounting craftsmanship as well.

A correctly graded I should not appear yellow to you unless you've got controlled lighting, a white background and a comparison stone or two nearby.

If you don't care for the 'look' send it back. It doesn't matter what it costs. The right price on the wrong thing is no bargain.

I just found my loupe and checked out the stone. The culet is perfectly in the center... The dark spot is located just outside the culet, a little off center. Someone said that older cut stones are not accurate cuts and that it's not uncommon to see a black spot or shadow regardless of clarity. it does appear as a shadow when seen through the loupe, but I can see it with my eye looking into the diamond and at arms length. Someone else said it could be a shadow where the facets join or a window. What is a window and is it bad? I'm going to have the ring looked at in the next couple of days.

A window is simply a part of the stone that does not reflect back light like a mirror (however angled) but allows it through like a window. The culet is by definition a window, since it is more or less parallel to the table and orthogonal to your viewing point.

"Shadow where the facets join" makes little sense to me. Facet joins don't generate "shadows", and if by chance there is a complete reflection (but how? the light would need to be very focused), the dark spot should move around when you tilt and move the stone. As should any culet reflection, by the way. If it doesn't move, it is an inclusion.

On the colour: since you would like it to look as white as possible, if would certainly help if you were to set it in all white, possibly with a yellow shank, but even just the main bezel in white would be helpful.

Can you post a good quality, close-up photo of the diamond?

Edited by davidelevi

I'm not able to get good pictures with my camera. I'm seeing my jeweler tomorrow. He is also an appraiser and belongs to the AGS. I think the diamond was not graded correctly. I can definitely see that it is pale yellow. Especially in the daylight and daytime hours. Only one other person has said they noticed it... The dealer I purchased it from was a gemologist and said it was I or J. I think it's more like a K or L. I can return it, but want to see the possibilities while viewing mountings for this. The ring is currently mounted in it's Edwardian setting, so I imagine the color could not be graded effectively. Once I see what the jeweler has to say tomorrow, I will decide if this is for me. As for the shadow, this too, cannot be seen but by one other person. It does not bother me as much as the color. I would keep it for sure if it was an I in color. I also want to compare the stone to a round brilliant cut and see how it measures up on color and clarity. I know the old cannot be viewed the same as a new, but maybe seeing the two together will help me decide the look I'm after.

Personal point of view: what people call it - whether it is GIA, AGS, the first person around the corner - matters nothing. What matters is what you see. Some of the yellow will be picked up from the setting, but if you dislike it, finding one, two or twenty people that call it "D" or "I" won't change your like or dislike.

I think the question you really need to be asking yourself right now is, "Do I love it"? If your jeweler says that the diamond is I in color will you love it more? For a moment, you need to forget everything that the diamond is 'supposed to be'. If the diamond doesn't make you happy, for whatever reason, then it is not the diamond for you. Only you can be the final judge but the slight tint and shadow seem to really bother you, and they likely always will. Remember, it's only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want.